Any bad Mother In Law stories?

Options
Melissa22G
Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
Saw another post about a MIL and it made me think of me and my friends getting together and talking about our MIL and FIL stories.

One I have is while going through IVF and was gaining weight from the medication my very fit and skinny MIL got me a fat book for Christmas. Seriously. She said "I thought you might want it to lose weight" infront of the whole family on Christmas day.

What's yours?

Replies

• Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    My in-laws are great....sorry.
  • Melissa22G
    Options
    You could always share a good one :) Mine isn't bad, she just did this one bad thing, It's one of those, good intentions without thinking.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess the recent "good story" would be very recently, we ran over to the in-laws and ran into FIL. We just started shooting the breeze like normal and told him we had just came from the wedding venue and booked it, yadda yadda yadda....right away he says "well, you guys let me and mom know what you all want and what you're looking at, cost wise, and we'll help you out."

This may not be significant to some, but I thought that was the sweetest thing ever. 1.) I have money and could easily afford it all on my own, not even counting my fiancé's income. 2.) it's usually the bride's family that is supposed to cough up the money and 3.) they're getting ready to send his sister to an IV league school, so I know they don't have that much spare change laying around.

But mostly...I was just touched by the offer. I know if I wasn't happy about who my kid was marrying, I'd be paying for a pre-nup, not the ceremony/reception. So, needless to say, it showed me a lot and made me even more excited and privileged to be a part of their family now.
  • av8artist
    av8artist Posts: 46
    Options
    I have to admit,I have better in-laws than my wife.
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I posted on that other post. Yeah. My MIL tried to kidnap my daughter on two different occasions from her daycare. She also said to me one day that she always figured my husband would be good in bed, and then asked if his penis was still big, because it was big when he was a boy. She bought me the skeeziest black teddy I've ever seen and said of my husband "he'll like this, I know what he likes." Yeah, it creeped me out too. Needless to say, she is not allowed anywhere near my family.
  • Penny427
    Penny427 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Ive had lots of disagreements with my MIL mostly over the children...Im the stepmother so in some ways I feel like she may have more of a right than I do...but when it comes down to it. I am the one that is raising them. So unless she wants to take the kids and raise them she needs to stfu and let me and my husband raise the kids as we see fit.....

My biggest issue came with my FIL -- we were planning a very small wedding at a chapel, the chapel package that we paid for only allowed 25 guests and any more than that was going to cost X amount of dollars per person. 25 was already more than what I wanted....Anyway my FIL threw an absolute fit that we were not going to invite his brother (my hubbys uncle) to the wedding and refused to show up at the wedding unless his brother was able to attend. Seriously? The grooms father refusing to show up unless he gets his way?? Just whose wedding was this!? I was in tears a week before my wedding because of him. We got it all ironed out and daddy-in-law got his way...:grumble:
  • Melissa22G
    Options
    I posted on that other post. Yeah. My MIL tried to kidnap my daughter on two different occasions from her daycare. She also said to me one day that she always figured my husband would be good in bed, and then asked if his penis was still big, because it was big when he was a boy. She bought me the skeeziest black teddy I've ever seen and said of my husband "he'll like this, I know what he likes." Yeah, it creeped me out too. Needless to say, she is not allowed anywhere near my family.

Just wow.....
  • KathyPBiles
    KathyPBiles Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    During my first marriage, I got along wonderful with my MIL - lived across the street, we worked together everyday - had evening meals together many nights, but when her son decided to have an affair and leave me with two small sons, she did too (thankfully his dad did not abandon my oldest son who was 4 1/2 - my youngest was just 1 1/2 when we divorced, so they really didn't know him)! My parents died less than two years after my divorce, so basically my oldest son had his paternal grandfather growing up, but my youngest didn't have any grandparents. Now my sons are adults and I see the regret in her face every time I run into her. It is her loss! I had a continuous fight with my former husband for 16 years regarding child support. His mother and her side of the family actually supported (would hide where he was and everything) him not doing what he should do as the father of our children. But I never gave up - went to court many times and he was made to do what he was responsible to do. I am a very stubborn person and would not quit.

What is so bad, is with her other son, his wife ran off and left him with his young daughter, and that was the most tragic thing to the grandmother (my former MIL) and she practically raised that granddaughter.

Oh - one other thing - the day of my parents' funerals, she actually called me wanting pity from me - seems her husband had an affair and left her. I told her if it was okay that her son left me with two small children, then it was certainly okay that her hasband left her!

Sorry for the long post - yeah - still bitter!
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    So my MIL didn't do this to me BUT she did it to her other son's wife....at christmas she gave her a women's facial hair trimmer!!! Seriously!!! :laugh: (yes she needed it....but still!!!)

Thank goodness she just gave me candles!!
  • Melissa22G
    Options
    Facial trimmer may be more mortifying than a fat book!

Kathy, so sorry to hear that my dear MFP friend!
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    My ex mother in law just tried to invite me to the new wife's baby shower. :noway: I laughed until I saw that she was serious. I think she expects us to be one big, happy (effing weird), extended family. She's batsh!t, but a very sweet woman. I can't help that she likes me better than her new daughter in law.

I will not be attending the shower.
  • tigerlily886
    tigerlily886 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My MIL has an evil dog. She cares more about the dog than her son. The dog snapped and growled at her son and she just shrugged it off. Her son was on the floor, so the dog took a dominance stance. She could have put the dog up while we were there. She will not like me when her dog bites me or my husband.
  • leejusd
    leejusd Posts: 81
    Options
    Mother-in-Law = EVIL!!
    Half of the conversations between my wife and her mother end up in yelling.
    My wife gets along with my mother more than her own.
    I would need a book to tell it all.
    I don't ask her for anything.