Looking for a natural, soy-free protein bar brand or recipe

Options
I am allergic to soy protein and am looking for a protein bar alternative that is hopefully all-natural or organic and made with an alternate protein source such as whey protein or whatever is another good option. Most of the top choices found in stores all have soy protein and/or lots of chemicals. I like them as meal or snack replacements on busy days or to fuel me before a long workout session. I'd like to buy some that are already made but would also like to try out any recipes. Anyone have any recommendations?

Replies

• thisisme13
    thisisme13 Posts: 150
    Options
    What about making your own? There are tons of recipes online and than you can control what goes in them.

I have made them before with peanut butter, protein powder, cocoa, oats, a touch of water and sometimes nuts, seeds or chocolate chips. Mix it all together, put in fridge for a while than slice and wrap.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Quest protein bars. No soy in the one I'm about to eat (whey protein base). They have an all natural line that is also free of any artificial sweeteners. plus they're gluten free and high fiber.
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    The only ones I've found that don't have the bad artificial sweeteners in (I get headaches so I need to avoid them) is protopure and promax bars. Can't stand promax ones though. What do you mean by chemicals? The protopure ones are not vegetarian though, not sure about promax. I know that Quest do some natural ones but in limited flavours.
  • gungjeu
    gungjeu Posts: 2
    Options
    Greens+ Whey Krisp Protein Bar
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Quest bars definitely. Promax bars are like a glorified candybar/higher fat/higher carb and closer to 300 cals a pop so why not make your own?

Here's a recipe I have for homemade protein bars. Everyone whose tried them has loved them!

2 1/2 cups oats
    5 scoops protein
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    3 tbsp peanut butter
    2 mashed bananas (large)
    3 egg whites
    1 tbsp vanilla
    1 tbsp honey to taste
    Add some water to aid mix

Preheat oven to 350F
    Spray pan with cooking oil/spray
    Cook time: 15-20 minutes
    Let cool a few minutes, and then cut in preferred size
    Nutritional info (whole batch)
    Calories: 1,827/114 cals per serving
    Fat: 41.5g/2.6g
    Carbs: 231g/14.4g
    Protein: 142.5g/9g

Note that my protein powder has between 110-120 cals per scoop depending on the flavor I buy. I buy Allmax IsoFlex which is a whey isolate powder, if you want to make them tastier buy the chocolate peanut butter or the chocolate mint flavors! :)

On the left is the macros for the whole batch, on the right is per serving so about 12 bars or so
  • courtneywiens
    courtneywiens Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I found some at the store today but all were high in sugar. Still on my quest!!
  • johncareem9
    Options
    I always check out this website before buying any protein products - www.excellentprotein.com - My personal favourite is the universal nutrition bar because of the high protein:carb ratio.
  • courtneywiens
    courtneywiens Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I always check out this website before buying any protein products - www.excellentprotein.com - My personal favourite is the universal nutrition bar because of the high protein:carb ratio.

looks great, thank you!!
  • adanelz
    adanelz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do not like Quest because it is not all natural (sucralose), so for soy-free I stick with Larabars and Pure bars. They are completely natural and the sugars come from dates and dried fruit rather than added sugar.
  • rosered93
    rosered93 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Check out the proteinpow.com website. She has dozens of recipes for protein bars, never uses soy protein, and emphasizes low-carb, high-protein macros.