still the fat guy???

Options
I was walking by a building today and it was all windows and I was starteled to see someone next to me than I realized it was my reflection I have lost 114lbs and when I think about what I look like in my mind I am still the fat guy I grab a shirt and think it is to small but when I put it on it is a little loose I gues my question is. When will my mind cach up with my body or will I always think that I am the fat guy I uesto be

Replies

• ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    morpheus in the matrix calls that "residual self image"
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    takes time .. Im the same way, cant believe the skinny reflection its me!
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I was walking by a building today and it was all windows and I was starteled to see someone next to me than I realized it was my reflection I have lost 114lbs and when I think about what I look like in my mind I am still the fat guy I grab a shirt and think it is to small but when I put it on it is a little loose I gues my question is. When will my mind cach up with my body or will I always think that I am the fat guy I uesto be

man I'm the same way brother - I don't think it will ever 'fully' change
  • kmccormick42
    kmccormick42 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Whenever I shop now & my sister or mom hands me something to try on, I think "that's too little" and then I feel great when it fits!
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight once before and I had a similar issue. I continued to see myself as fat. They call it dysmorphia or something along those lines. I wished I had sought treatment for that. Had I sought treatment, I most likely would not be facing weight loss again. I've got a 170 pounds to lose so I'm the last person to give any kind of advice other than cheering you on and congratulating you on your success.
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've seen this a lot, if you search for "body dysmorphia" in the forums you'll get a ton of posts. There's also a lot of good replies on ways to combat this, from as simple as being positive and as intense as therapy.

I haven't lost nearly as much as you but all my friends and family remark on how skinny I look, but still see my gut and think of myself as the fat guy. I think it never really goes away until you start accepting yourself and loving your body, and even then it just takes time and a lot of positive reinforcement. I'd say just keep staying positive while focusing on the work you've done and how it has paid off. It takes time, especially if you've been heavy your whole life or for a long time, but it goes away slowly and gets better every day, just like you have been!

Just remember, you're awesome!
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hell if I know. Ive lost around 85-90 and still think of myself the same. Very self conscious and what not.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Pull out a "fat sized" pair of jeans or one of your XXXL shirts, stand in front of a full length mirror holding your old clothes beside you and say outloud "Hey look at that! I'm not that fat guy I used to be!" Then pat yourself on the back for getting where you're at now:

"One Cool, Trim looking guy" jus sayin.... :smile: :happy:
  • Rizabees
    Rizabees Posts: 80
    Options
    Been about 2 years since I started losing weight and I'm still surprised when I look in the mirror.
    Took about a year the first time I started seeing changes in my body.
  • redwan2001
    redwan2001 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Your not alone, I use to weigh 350 lbs, I am down to 165 lbs. It is def a mental thing, I still pick out large clothes and still see myself big. It is something that sticks with us I think no matter if we weigh a 100lbs we still have that mental imagine in thinking we are big.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I've been at my goal weight for almost one year now. It's staaaarting to sink in. Just a little bit.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I still buy clothes in the wrong size if I don't try them on first.
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    yeah mine has only been like 32lbs but still see my reflection in the gym mirrors and for a few seconds i honestly think its somebody else. i know that sounds goofy
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I have this problem. I still see the girl that was over 300lbs in the mirror when I know I'm not. I pick clothes that are too big all the time or just try and shop in the wrong section to begin with. I just... Ugh. Yeah. Lol.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    take lots of pictures. you don't have to share them, but having them and referring to them when you feel the "i'm fat" feelings taking root, does a lot to combat it.

create a before and after and post it somewhere you will see it regularly.
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Agree with some of the other posters. Take lots of pictures. It's taken me three years to wrap my head around the fact that I'm healthy, thin and happy. I now sometimes forget I was ever 291lbs..........I like it that way! :)
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I lost 138pds and I never looked at myself different. I would go buy clothes and still go to the biggest size they carried. I had to stop myself and tell myself I was not that size anymore!
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I think it took me a good half a year to make any kind of sense of it. At least.