Dr. Oz sued

Options
2»

Replies

• CincyDave
    CincyDave Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Since the McDonald's coffee story seems to be coming up here, it is also important to note that the woman didn't even spill the coffee on herself. It was so hot, it ate through the glue holding the cup together.

And she did not sue for millions. She was just trying to recoup medical costs. The judge awarded her the high amount.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I have one thing to say...lawsuit for spilling hot coffee on themselves...nuff said

Actually if you ever saw the burns that woman had from that McDonalds coffee, you probably wouldn't think it was such a ridiculous lawsuit. I worked in a Dunkin Donuts as a teenager and had hot coffee spilled on me almost weekly but NEVER had burns like that woman got from the famous lawsuit.

Honestly, that's what happens when you place a hot cup of coffee (regardless of tempurature) in between your legs... were there no cup holders in her car?
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    We love our rice socks at this house and use them all of the time in place of a heating pad. They mold to your body so much better than any heating pad. You don't stick any body part IN them though. They are sewed shut! You just warm them in the microwave for a short time and they stay warm for a long time and really help if you just need some heat for a sore muscle or something. My 9 year old uses hers on her tummy when it hurts and swears it helps her feel better.

We have been using ours for about 10 years though, never had a problem. You don't heat them long enough to be hot, just warm and like I said, you don't touch the actual rice...the sock should be sealed shut!
  • Krissy563
    Krissy563 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to the real facts about the McDonald's case: http://www.caoc.org/index.cfm?pg=facts. She did in fact spill it on herself (it did not melt the cup as someone suggested), but she wasn't driving the car she was in, and McDonald's had already received literally hundreds of complaints about people getting burned from the coffee. I guess I don't understand why it matters that she spilled it... had she put the coffee in her mouth, she would have still been burned. And the jury that awarded her millions? Even though they ruled that she was partially at fault, they still awarded her far more than she was asking for, later reduced by a judge and settled out of court for something in the 6 figures. Selling something that is likely to cause injury *even when used in the manner in which it was intended* is why we have civil remedies in the first place.
  • CincyDave
    CincyDave Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I stand corrected. Thanks for presenting the facts.
    Someone told me the coffee came out the bottom of the cup. Guess I should have verified that before passing on wrong information.
  • Momf3boys
    Momf3boys Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    According to Dr. Oz I believe that I am going to die in approximately 13.6 seconds...

If you do, please leave your body to science. C/o my address.

Hahaha...science doesn't want my body...I'm a medical mess...lol...
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I wish someone would sue oz, oprah, phil..... for passing on and promoting really stupid, often dangerous advice. Make them stop!
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do this too in place of a heating pad. Just don't microwave it for too long. And I agree, NEVER stick a part of your body in there. :tongue: :tongue:
    We love our rice socks at this house and use them all of the time in place of a heating pad. They mold to your body so much better than any heating pad. You don't stick any body part IN them though. They are sewed shut! You just warm them in the microwave for a short time and they stay warm for a long time and really help if you just need some heat for a sore muscle or something. My 9 year old uses hers on her tummy when it hurts and swears it helps her feel better.

We have been using ours for about 10 years though, never had a problem. You don't heat them long enough to be hot, just warm and like I said, you don't touch the actual rice...the sock should be sealed shut!
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Raspberry keytones!

for them to work properly....OZ recommends they be taken rectally.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Rice filled socks is an old trick - I did that my first few winters here in the Midwest a decade ago. Pretty sure that's been around a long, long time. What I find most laughable is that Dr. Oz was promoting it for something! What, like he came up with that idea? :laugh: