tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
Does this REALLY count? I mean REALLY?
Is it the same as if I ate a brownie?
I'm very confused by this.

Replies

• kellycrow
    kellycrow Posts: 140
    Options
    I'd like to hear the answer to this one.

In my uneducated-in-these-matters opinion, it is NOT the same... fruit is NATURAL. There is nothing natural about a brownie... if anyone can find me a brownie bush, I would be overjoyed! haha!

But seriously, fruit has so many other redeeming qualities and I just never worry about the natural sugars in fruit.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Sure it counts . . . but . . . sugar from a brownie is that refined "empty calorie" sugar . . . where sugar from fruit is natural, so instead of just empty calories it is part of the nutrient of that fruit.
  • ssrozelle
    ssrozelle Posts: 1
    Options
    Sugar is sugar. It can be ingested in many forms, either processed like in brownies, or natural, in fruits and some vegetables. This is why the low carb diets out there tell you to stop eating a lot of fruit. However what they forget is that if you have a sugar craving the more complex sugars you get from fruit can quench that craving as well as providing other nutrients and fiber which will make you feel full longer. So yes- you could eat the brownie, but you'll have a sugar crash faster and be hungry again sooner. Fruits can become your "desserts" or you can just factor in you afternoon brownie instead!
  • Carri_M
    Carri_M Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The sugars are definitely different. I find for myself, when I am craving something sweet I try to use moderation, but dont't deny myself. The quickest way for me to cheat horribly on my diet is to go on with cravings. Better to allow the little treats. What a try to use for a treat is Dark Chocolate. It is heart healthy where milk chocolate is not. One little dark chocolate Dove or Kiss is perfect. And the dark chocolate Kiss is only 20 calories
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    From what I have learned on this site is that it's not necessary to count the sugars that come from fruits and vegetables. I try to keep all of my "processed sugars" under my 30g limit, but if I go over because of fruits and vegetables, I don't worry about it. It hasn't stalled my weight loss yet. Our bodies are different though, so you just need to watch your sugars carefully. If you find that going over on your sugars (despite them being from fruits and vegetables) causes you to lose less, then maybe sugar from fruit does count for you.
  • stacy_rihel
    Options
    yes, sugar is sugar, however you are not getting the fiber and other nutrient benefits from the brownie. Seriously, eat the fruit and give the brownie to that lucky SOB with a naturally high metabolism (like my boyfriend.. he is rediculous.. so jealous.. :)

Remeber though, drinking fruit juice is similar to eating a brownie... just sayin