I gave up.

Options
I gave up. A little.

Ever since spring break started, I haven't logged or gone to the gym. Nothing more strenuous than walking to the dog. I was making such great progress, and now I've started binge eating again.

The scale says I've only gained a pound or three, but I still feel like crying. I don't know where to go from here.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your Spring Break is over.

That was vacation, now you are back to Real Life! Time to get moving again!

Develop a routine that signals this to your mind and body. Are you back in classes? Make sure you are taking the same things for lunch you were before Spring Break!

You didn't give up, you just took a break, and now GET BACK TO IT!!!
  • fatfriendonadiet
    fatfriendonadiet Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    No, it's only Tuesday. I don't go back to campus until Sunday, and classes don't start again until Monday. I'm off work until Monday again, too, since I work on campus.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    well you might want to get that *kitten* back in gear then.
  • daria225
    daria225 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    There is always an obstacle we must overcome, especially when it comes to weight loss. Where do you go from here? You have to pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get back into the routine of things that brought you as far as it did. Make TODAY the day you get it all back, you can't fix "yesterday", what's done is done. I used to say "tomorrow" I'll start, "tomorrow" I'll smarten up, but tomorrow never came then, on my 30th birthday, I told myself and anyone who would listen that "today" was the day I was getting me back, my gift to myself was that of health. You are human, you will falter, what makes you successful is getting back up when you fall. The worst thing, for me, is to be home with the temptation of food. You have to be accountable to yourself, nobody's watching. I heard a quote a little while ago..."Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels". If you must eat, eat healthy, eat things that are full of fiber, water, etc., and stay hydrated, drinking keeps you full and, if you're full, you don't have room for empty calories.

You can do it, I may not know you but I believe in you!!!
  • Gary_AquaMan
    Gary_AquaMan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Many of us have slumps but you have taken the step to identify it and you are honest about it...when i find that to be the case with me...I isolate and move on and see it as a temporary set back. You have come so far, so i think you need a little cheering section! Go Girl, You can do it!
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Diet breaks are good and good for you. They're better if you plan for them in advance, but it's not the end of the world if you didn't. You use the time to get in micronutrients that you might have been missing while restricting, repair your muscles a bit, reset your metabolism... all kinds of useful things. And then you can reevaluate - did you take the break because you were trying to restrict too much? Work too hard? Deal with too much stress?

Once you've done the physical part (eat... but hopefully not binge) and the mental part (figuring out what needs to change to point you back towards success) you go back to your eating and exercise plan, incorporating the stuff you learned while you were taking your break. I mean, you're going to have to learn to maintain sooner or later, it's not a bad idea to practice along the way rather than getting to your goal weight and going, "oh crap, what do I do now?"
  • BabyLeila23
    BabyLeila23 Posts: 410
    Options
    You've got this! Don't wait, do it now! :) Sometimes for inspiration I will look up motivational quotes on the internet. Good Luck!!!
  • fatfriendonadiet
    fatfriendonadiet Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You guys really are the best. Thank you! <3
  • Toomanytwinkies
    Toomanytwinkies Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. Im having a crappy "give up" day too. The only way to go from here is up, just keep thinking that. You didn't fail. You just hit a little snag. You can do it...just keep telling yourself that.
  • BossBich
    BossBich Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yea, get that *kitten* back in gear and you'll be fine......
  • Tann33
    Tann33 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I took a break off and I actually lost more weight. It happens. Get back in the groove of things :)
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as failure as long as you try again.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I gave up. A little.

Ever since spring break started, I haven't logged or gone to the gym. Nothing more strenuous than walking to the dog. I was making such great progress, and now I've started binge eating again.

The scale says I've only gained a pound or three, but I still feel like crying. I don't know where to go from here.

Start over again. I gained ten pounds during Christmas and New Years because I was stress/binge eating and not exercising due to traveling and family obligations. I got back into my eating and exercise habits on January 2, and I've lost those ten pounds plus another twelve pounds.

If you don't start again, you won't lose anything, and you may gain. Just take a breath, realize it isn't the end of the world, and start again. :)
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    You didn't give up yet, since you're posting this here. Get back on it! You can go for a walk and eat as well as possible at home.

I will be in Guatemala for 6 weeks, and I'm sure it will be hard, but my mentality is not that it's a vacation from my lifestyle. Life will be different there, but I am a person who is trying to be dedicated to my health, so I will continue to be that person even when I'm not in my regular routine.
  • amazon35
    amazon35 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go on vacation or have more than my 3 days off. I hit the gym hard and I eat really really well. I have the mentality of trying to loose 10lbs in that 1 week. I figure there is nothing stopping me but myself. No work no responsibility I can have all the time in the world and not rush. And boy wouldn't it be nice to go back to "work" and someone says damn did you loose weight?!
  • jacobsvisser
    Options
    clearly you know what to do, 26lbs is not a small amount of weight. I fell off too, lost 12lbs, then went to Mexico with hubby and put 5lbs back on....has taken me a couple weeks, but yesterday i started again with what works and I am feeling better already :) let us know how you do in the next couple of days :)
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    chin up, and start again. each day is a new day....forgive yourself for the slip....and mentally psych yourself up for success....weight/eating/working out is ALL mental. if you write yourself a successful story, believe in yourself, you can make it happen. if you believe in failure....and predict it, that too will happen. only you have control over you....spring break is over....head up and move forward.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I think you're looking at this backwards. You're saying that you exercised how you wanted to and eaten how you wanted to without tracking it for a few weeks. And now you're beginning to stress eat and gain again.

Before you started on MFP, how much would you have exercised, eaten and gained in the same period of time?

You KNOW how to get back on track, you KNOW how to be successful...and now you've learned what you'll need to have in place to stay on track after you've reached your fitness goals. I say that's an awesome thing to have done over spring break.
  • mittens6395
    Options
    Everyone needs a little break now and again. To make this a lifestyle change you can't be perfect all the time. You will have good days and bad days. The difference between the bad days and just totally giving up.....is just waking up, getting your oatmeal, egg whites and water out, then picking up where the last good day left off.

These are my two favorite quotes:

"I may not be where I ought to be; I'm definitely not where I could be; but I strive to be better than I was yesterday"~ unknown

“I am not judged by the number of times I fail, but by the number of times I succeed: and the number of times I succeed is in direct proportion to the number of times I fail and keep trying.” ~ Tom Hopkins

You got this :)