6 small meals vs everything else.

Options
I eat one huge meal post workout everyday(2000-2300 cals). At a physical- BP, cholesterol, blood lipids, and all blood tests were just fine. Thyroid is fine, and fasting gives me energy during the day. I can sit down and gorge myself yet lose fat.I get told by numerous "know-it-alls" that I should eat 5-6 small meals through the day to keep my "metabolism up". Please, go ahead and refute my method of eating and lifestyle. I need opinions.

Replies

• Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Why?
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    One big meal is more fun.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Nope. Eat when you're hungry, mind your macros and you'll be fine. I'm about to have my first meal at 1:30pm.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    saying you have to eat 6 small meals is broscience, agreed there.

I actually do it as I can't stomach the protein i like to eat in larger meals.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    s'up to you I eat 2-3 meals a day
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Please, go ahead and refute my method of eating and lifestyle. I need opinions.

Sorry, I'm easily confused. Do you want me to refute your method even though it conflicts with my opinion? Or do you want my opinion, which is that your method is fine for you??
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Lol I guess all of the idiots stayed off the forums today. IF FTW.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Lol I guess all of the idiots stayed off the forums today. IF FTW.

yeah, I do 14 hours of eating and about 10 hours of fasting every day...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I eat 5-6 times per day...mostly because I can't eat all that much in one sitting; I would feel like I was going to explode...I also have an overall love of all things food. I have no idea what the implications are in RE to my metabolism...I just know I look forward to every meal and every snack.

Eat once a day, twice per day, a million times per day...who friggin' cares.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Edit: Cause a brat told me what I answered isn't what you asked for.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I eat one huge meal post workout everyday(2000-2300 cals). At a physical- BP, cholesterol, blood lipids, and all blood tests were just fine. Thyroid is fine, and fasting gives me energy during the day. I can sit down and gorge myself yet lose fat.I get told by numerous "know-it-alls" that I should eat 5-6 small meals through the day to keep my "metabolism up". Please, go ahead and refute my method of eating and lifestyle. I need opinions.

http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/47354-mess-up-your-heart-with-intermittent-fasting/
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I wake up starving. I could never do IF
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I wake up starving. I could never do IF

I tried and I wanted to kill people. I eat smaller meals because it stops me committing murder, not for any other reason. That said my food was all over the place today as I got up really late. :noway:
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I eat one meal.. it starts at about 8am and ends at about 9pm.. eh.. maybe two as it's hard to nosh while at the gym..

I eat all day long. lol.

Plus.. me not eating for that long.. is dangerous to other people.. not so much myself.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Personally I never have been able to do the 'little and often' eating and I don't really see the point in it. Only herbivores graze constantly - omnivores and carnivores in the wild tend to have periods of boom and bust based on availability of food.

I'm also convinced that the 'grazing' culture has contributed to Western obesity levels if only because the 'snack' food that is most readily available in a pick up and go format is calorie dense.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

My opinion is, if it works for you, carry on.

Each to their own!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Personally I never have been able to do the 'little and often' eating and I don't really see the point in it. Only herbivores graze constantly - omnivores and carnivores in the wild tend to have periods of boom and bust based on availability of food.

I'm also convinced that the 'grazing' culture has contributed to Western obesity levels if only because the 'snack' food that is most readily available in a pick up and go format is calorie dense.

The choices we make as indiviudals are reason we are the weight we are and the reason we are healthy or unhealthy. It doesn't matter how often or when you eat, as long as you choose the right foods. If OPs 1 meal a day was 3 value meals from Md Donalds and and entire bag of kettle cooked chips, i dare say he'd not lose weight or be healthy.. but if it's healthy chocies he will lose weight..

Just like eating all day.. or 6 or more times a day.. healthy choices leads to healthy weight. It's not the foods fault, it's your for choosing to eat it. Twinkies didn't make me fat, my choice to eat them did. Chemicals didn't make me sick, me chosing to eat foods laced with them did.

1st step to healthy living.. ditch the excuses, own your choices and decide to make better ones.

I dont' agree with eating 1 meal a day.. it really did not work for me.. but hey.. it will either work for him or he'll learn and change his eating habits.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    meal timing is not completely irrelevant but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter for weight loss.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I eat 5 to 6 times a day, it keeps my blood sugar level even. If I don't eat all the time I get mean. You are still young, maybe your body will change and you will have to eat differently when you are older, only you know what feels right for you.
  • K_Train450
    K_Train450 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Very interesting.