Gym = Social gathering?

Options
13»

Replies

• taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Just ignore them and do your thing.

You mean like how they're doing. If only OP could learn a thing from these girls...
  • dzuli823
    dzuli823 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different...ages, workout routines/goals.. I , personally, would throw on a tshirt and shorts, hair up, put my earbuds in, not talk and get out of there as soon as I could. It was a place to meet my goals so I could live life outside of there.

To others, however, it clearly is a place they enjoy more than I do. A place to meet people with similar goals (uh..like here).

My father is 67, and has been going to the gym every day except Christmas as far back as I can remember. He'd be gone for at least 3 hours, sometimes more. We'd joke that he must be friends with the whole place bc he couldn't be working out that long. Now, he still goes every day, has made lifelong friends who motivate him to go and talk to while there. I don't know how many minutes he spends working out vs talking, but he is in the absolute best shape. Close to 70, strong as an ox, still has bragging rights about how much he bench presses, has no gut whatsoever, and has kept his cholesterol down...which no one else in his family has been able to. Why? Because he went to the gym his whole life. The more fun it is for you, the more likely it will be a regular part of your life. For me it was something I had to get through to get on with my life. For him, it was part of his life. He's visits his friends there and, hey, while he's there, may as well do some exercise!

Just their being there and having fun hopefully starts a healthy habit for the rest of their lives.
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Mine aren't girls. We have the grandad meetings ( and these retired gents can put alot of young men to shame) but they do have a good old chinwag with each other and one actually came in to have a chat with the others this morning, he wasnt going to workout because he had a hospital appt to go to.lol.
    They make me smile.xx
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    who cares if they are wearing make up- god this is the biggest pet peeve of mine.

I work harder then half the people in my gym... and I wear make up- not full face make up but that's because I never wear full face make up.

But I go no where without a little eye liner and mascara- often I come from work and I of course don't bother removing my eye make up... nice to know- the good little people of the gym are there passing judgement on me and my make up.

of course the gym will have it's "gym bunnies" and "curl bro's"- it's part of gym culture. Every big gym has them. Get over it.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    The gym is part of my social life - I have friends who I meet and train with. We train hard and don't mess around, but what I really like is having friends with whom I catch catch up whilst doing something healthy as opposed to meeting over drinks, coffee, lunch or dinner. I realise there are cheaper activities than the gym but if you can afford it then why not.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    So OP. What was the point behind this thread? I am seriously curious now. Was it:

a) To brag that you workout and others don't?
    b) That they're somehow inferior because they use makeup and don't workout as hard as you do?
    c) That they're socializing and gym is not a place to socialize?
    d) Would like to suggest that young girls like these are not serious and shouldn't be taken seriously by others?
    e) Something else that you will now makeup and pass up since you just realize how judgmental you sound

Seriously curious. I know many threads are pointless and I've made a few myself but this doesn't sound like a pointless thread. So, my curious mind would like to know, whats the point of this thread?

Having a bad day Taunto?

Chiiiiiiiill
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Sure. I can't go too late in the mornings or I run into all the stay-at-home moms in my neighborhood. I mean, I like them and enjoy talking with them, I just don't usually have time when I'm at the gym. Weekday afternoons? All the high school guys hanging out in the weight room. They're... mostly ok, except when three or four work in together to do their 20-lb-curls in the squat rack. But they will usually move when you ask to use whatever equipment they're lounging on, so no complaints. Sunday afternoons? All the coffee-drinkin', paper-readin' old folks.

If you don't want to socialize, you pretty much have to go before anyone's awake enough to do more than grunt and nod at each other. The gym is totally a hangout.
  • EmmaReed84
    EmmaReed84 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I really love how some people have really got their knickers in a twist and taken what I said totally out of context. Saying things like "get over it"... erm I was never "under it" in the first place LOL! Also saying I am judging them, because you people quite obviously have some amazing abilities to see in to people's minds...?

Anyway, to all the amusing people who mis-read my thread, took it out of context or made a meal out of it (perhaps your still hungry??) Thank you for the giggle!!!

I am at the gym again tomorrow, I may perhaps obse- I mean JUDGE some more people, hey I may even get judged myself...
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    This annoys the crap out of me, but at my gym it's a bunch of high school boys trying to look cool. Super annoying.
  • mztamaraann
    mztamaraann Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Whoa! This thread is out of hand. LOL. I go to the gym looking a hot *kitten* mess, and I love it. Hair pulled back, no makeup and baggy clothes. What I can't stand more than people not working out, but socializing and blocking the machines is a group of friends who rotate the use of 1 machine amongst them. They can be there for a good 20-30 minutes on the machine. I don't know about you all but when you go to a small gym, and you have only 1 of each machine that is just annoying.

I actually kind of wish I had buddies to socialize with at the gym. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one there without anyone to talk to. Oh well, more time to focus on burning calories.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Wow, this went from a harmelss observation to ugly really fast (typical over-sensitive reactions around here though).

OP...to answer you, yes, I think every gym has social groups, and the age group varies depending where and when you go. I've always gone really early in the morning, and most of the people work out hard and rush to shower and go to work, but most of us know each other and we all chat. A few years ago, I was laid off from work for a while, so was going at like 9:00 AM instead of 5:00...and in that time slot it was the senior citizens group who mostly hung around socializing, drinking coffee and talking about their children and grandchildren :laugh:

I've never really gone at night (except for the occasional cycling class where I wasn't in the main gym area), but suspect the after work/evening crowd gets the younger single people. Anyplace you can socialize is going to attract it. Personally, if I was single, I'd much rather meet someone at the gym than at a bar...