Salad dressing - what's your favorite?

Options
Calliope610
Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
I love my salads and usually eat a huge one daily, with lean chicken or other protein. And my favorite salad dressing - Creamy Garlic Caesar. It kills me on every day b/c I go over on my fat calories (set @ 30%).

I desperately need some tasty ideas for salad dressing - any suggestions?

Replies

• nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I use red wine vinegar (lots of it) with a sprinkle of salt, lots of black pepper and a dash or two of italian seasoning. Practically no calories in it, and it's my favorite. I'm quite the vinegar hog. ;)
  • B_Town154
    B_Town154 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use chicken, spinach, very small amount of shredded cheddar and then I mix a tbsp of fat free catalina and a tbsp of fat free ranch. Throw some cardboard style fat free croutons on top if you need some extra crunch. Couple hundred calories max.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Renee's Garlic Caesar is definitely my favourite. I don't use a lot of dressing though. You can get them in the low calorie versions too.

I also like raspberry vinaigrette and zesty italian.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Anything Bolthouse!

Love the ranch and honey mustard yogurt dressings, and am currently enjoying the mango olive oil dressing.

All under 45 calories per serving (2 tbsp)
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I only use store-bought dressings if I want ranch (I can't seem to make a good one myself). Then I use Litehouse Light Ranch. Pretty good.

Otherwise, I make my own. I have 4 go-tos, depending on what else is going on my salad.

1) Mix of equal parts dijon mustard, lemon juice and olive oil, salt and pepper. Great with fish or grilled chicken breast. No so great if you've got cheese on your salad, lol.

2) 2 parts good (and I mean GOOD. Like, go to a specialty store and get the 25 year aged stuff) balsamic vinegar to 1 part olive oil, S&P. Great with chicken or steak, and then you can do all kinds of toppings - blue or goat cheese, apples, dried cherries or figs, nuts, etc.

3) Equal parts light sour cream and salsa (I like the La Victoria salsa verde in a jar to just have on hand, but fresh is obviously better). Perfect if you have a Mexican theme to your salad ;). I love to have this dressing on greens with leftover fajita innards ;).

4) 2 parts red wine vinegar to 1 part olive oil, then salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano. Good, standard Italian dressing.

You can obviously adjust any of the ratios and seasonings to fit your tastes and your calorie/macro goals.
  • healthyskinnystrong
    Options
    I really like balsamic or honey and mustard dressing or sometimes a little lemon juice and black pepper c:
  • shannonshay1
    shannonshay1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Anything Bolthouse!

Love the ranch and honey mustard yogurt dressings, and am currently enjoying the mango olive oil dressing.

All under 45 calories per serving (2 tbsp)

The salsa/ranch is my fav!
  • lovesdogs1960
    Options
    Love bolthouse and because I have to eat gluten free it is extra loved!
  • chrisgriffin42975
    Options
    I use vinger with pepper and some spices
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Annie's naturals raspberry vinaigrette, lately I've been eating it with spinach and tiny bit of bleu cheese, just can't get enough.
  • JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I like the Dorothy Lynch Fat Free - it's only 60 calories for 2 Tablespoons. But, my favorite is full fat, terrible for me, Ranch. :wink:
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Like Light Caesar Vinaigrette. I also enjoy using light miracle whip on a salad instead of salad dressing. It makes my salad taste like a sandwich. :laugh:
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I don't use dressing.

I just toss salads and eat.
  • HaleyxErin
    HaleyxErin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hidden Valley Light Ranch, the ONLY dressing I will eat
  • Sharla_G
    Sharla_G Posts: 72
    Options
    Have you tried having the dressing on the side, dipping the tines of your fork into the dressing before each bite? Helps me to eat less of the dressing.

I like real, fatty dressing, and the "dipping the fork" maneuver allows me to keep the amount/calories of dressing that I eat to a minimum.
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I love beets and usually eat them on my salad then one day I thought, why not use the juice as my dressing? I put 2 or 3 tablespoons over my salad and it's great! A lot lower in cals than dressing and just as tasty. :)
  • LaurieLynn
    LaurieLynn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yougurt and salsa!!
  • MJackson54
    Options
    I make my salad, then sprinkle with lemon juice and olive oil. Sseason with Cavendar's Greek seasoning. Toss! It's REALLY good!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's Sesame Soy Vinegaerette - its 35 cal for 2 tblspn.

Trader Joe's Light Champagne Vinaerette - its 40 cal for 2 tblspn.

Both are very flavorful.