Spaghetti Squash

Options
Who's had it and what does it taste like?? Thinking of giving it a try :happy:

Replies

• hrr002
    hrr002 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT!!!! Now, don't let anyone tell you it tastes like pasta and you cannot tell the difference because...well...you totally can. It is crunchy and somewhat sweet. I was not a fan the first time I had it because I was expecting it to taste just like noodles. I like to make a spaghetti squash and then top with spaghetti sauce, onions, bell peppers, ground turkey, and olives. Gives me my spaghetti fix for much less carbs and calories. It is also pretty good with some butter spray, salt, pepper, and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese!
  • FitBlackChick
    FitBlackChick Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT!!!! Now, don't let anyone tell you it tastes like pasta and you cannot tell the difference because...well...you totally can. It is crunchy and somewhat sweet. I was not a fan the first time I had it because I was expecting it to taste just like noodles. I like to make a spaghetti squash and then top with spaghetti sauce, onions, bell peppers, ground turkey, and olives. Gives me my spaghetti fix for much less carbs and calories. It is also pretty good with some butter spray, salt, pepper, and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese!

Thanks! It sounds good and I'm definitely going to give it a go now :wink: I just have to get it into my head that its NOT going to taste like pasta lol
  • tigermom12
    Options
    I've made it one time and it was pretty good. It didn't taste like spaghetti squash to me but I still liked it. I think the key is cooking it correctly.
  • IlanaKersch
    IlanaKersch Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love it as a sub for spaghetti/pasta. I put tomato low sodium or low sodium spag sauce and NF or LF cheese. Yum. Easy to cook. I put in glass casserrole with 1/2 inch water and bake at 400 for 30-40 min
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    it has almost no flavor. I cut it in half and bake it then top with spaghetti sauce and parmesan. YUM
  • beautifulone2
    beautifulone2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love it!
    skinnytaste.com has some great recipes for it and it is all free.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
  • daydream_believer
    Options
    what is a spaghetti squash? it sounds to me like making spaghetti out of a zucchini! x
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    what is a spaghetti squash? it sounds to me like making spaghetti out of a zucchini! x

It's a specific type of squash that after it's cooked, shreds like spaghetti (more like hash browns).
  • Lunira
    Lunira Posts: 33
    Options
    Tastewise with all the sauce and stuff on, I can't tell the difference. But there is a slight texture difference... it's just a bit rougher rather than being as smooth as pasta strands are, and the feel of it is quite different when it compresses between your teeth as you chew.

Your mileage may vary... my sense of taste/smell isn't as strong as most people's. :p
  • SneakyWaff1es
    SneakyWaff1es Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It's delicious. It tastes like summer squash just not as strongly.
  • luftballoons33
    luftballoons33 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love it! I love the taste and that you can eat a lot of it without feeling too guilty :) Sometimes I'll have it with just a couple squirts of spray butter and some parmesan and it's good, but you can add to it a million different ways.

I made this recently, and it was so so good. Spaghetti squash with turkey meatballs: http://www.marthastewart.com/355561/spaghetti-squash-turkey-meatballs?czone=food/produce-guide-cnt/produce-guide-fall&center=276955&gallery=275670&slide=256114
  • FitBlackChick
    FitBlackChick Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! It is DELICIOUS :D
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Sounds weird, but try it with cinnamon and splenda! Sorta like a sweet potato but less carbs, pretty tasty ! Cold or hot.
  • Bane81
    Bane81 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti is my 2nd favourite (Butternut is the best). The way I would prepare it is slice it in half, take out the guts and seeds, add some salted butter, nutmeg and cracked black pepper. Bake at 400 F for around 45 mins or so then just scoop it out, mix it up a bit and serve. I don't eat it very often as I can eat Butternut squash by itself with no seasoning or added fat.