What has YOGA done for you?

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options

This is something I have seen before, but I'm so glad you posted the link. It is very moving.:heart:
  • Pammy820
    Pammy820 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

wow! thanks for sharing the video!!
  • Pammy820
    Options
    I started bikram yoga on 3/2/13 and currently doing a 30 day challenge. My core, balance and flexibility is much better after 15 days. I have a knee injury due to mild arthiritis and a baker's cyst on R knee. To date, weight is steady but hoping to lose my last 7 lbs but focusing on diet mainly!

Are you doing this at home and are you using a video?
  • Back2Biz
    Back2Biz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yoga is amazing.. especially for runners. Love how it works my core and helps me stretch out very tight muscle groups. I've noticed that my breathing is different now... I try to do it a couple times a week.

Totally Agree! I had knee problems from running and when I started Yoga i no longer have knee pain and I can run longer and faster now. My knee trouble was very intense burning on the sides of my knee - even when resting. Doing Pigeon Pose saved me!
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

I hope I am not stepping on toes, but thought you might want an answer.

Bikram is done in 105 degrees set with 40% humidity, so my best guess is that she is not doing Bikram at home.
    But stranger things have happened!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    My last yoga was hot yoga, and it was immediately followed by such a serious flare of my ulcerative colitis that I literally wanted to die.

Now I'm scared off all yoga.
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks for the tips all!
  • healthyskinnystrong
    Options
    I haven't been doing yoga for that long, around 10/11 months but I absolutely love it! It's really calming and relaxing and I really like to do it first thing in the morning or just before bed. It's definitely improved the strength in my arms, my balance, flexibility and stamina (due to the steady breathing). I like to do it after pilates and strength training to stretch out my muscles and it really helps minimise the pain the day after!
  • Pammy820
    Options

I hope I am not stepping on toes, but thought you might want an answer.

Bikram is done in 105 degrees set with 40% humidity, so my best guess is that she is not doing Bikram at home.
    But stranger things have happened!

lol! ok I know very little about yoga so thanks for clearing that up for me!!
  • Pammy820
    Options
    Thanks for all the input.!!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Just curious if you go to classes or do this at home? I'm getting ready to start Ashtanga yoga and am excited about it.

If you are brand new to yoga, ashtanga may not be what you want. It is quite rigorous. You might want to try a hatha yoga, or a power yoga, first. Strictly speaking. in ashtanga, you do a great many poses (over an hour's worth) in a set order, and you have to do every one. Other classes are more likely to let you pull out of a pose early, or even skip one you cannot do.

Yoga will stretch you out, which helps aches and injuries heal. It can maintain or increase flexibility, which is a benefit in its own right.
    Also, being flexible might prevent injuries, though, strictly speaking, science has not been able to show this.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Yoga has helped me with anxiety (by controlling my breath and relaxing myself) and my flexibility. I do Hatha yoga.
  • lsclsclac
    Options
    Since I began my Rodney Yee AM yoga at home, I feel so much better! He has a daily 20 min. yoga and even though I don't do it every day, it has strengthened my back and I don't have to take the muscle relaxants or aleve I used to take almost daily. I told my doctor that by staying active, walking, jogging or doing a cardio workout and just doing yoga maybe 2 or 3 times a week, I feel so much better. I have also gone to a yoga class:Bikram yoga, and it was this heated room doing yoga, that was the best! If you start with the beginners yoga, you will see. Enjoy!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Bumping as I'm thinking to join a yoga class.
  • kelp99
    kelp99 Posts: 101 Member
    Options

wow! thanks for sharing the video!!

This video inspired me to try yoga! I used to walk all the time as my exercise, but gained a lot of weight due to plantar fasciitis in both feet. Now that the pain is under control I wanted something that would not set me back and after watching Arthur, and where he started from, I figured there was no excuse I could give for not doing it. Although I've only been doing yoga for about 2 weeks now, I've already noticed that my posture is getting better and after a workout my back feels wonderful! Plus I'm able to keep up with the video despite my lack of coordination [unlike with aerobic workouts] and I feel ecstatic because I'm able to complete the video.
  • fox320
    fox320 Posts: 12
    Options
    Yoga has helped me with my knee issues and digestive disorders and has increased my performance in other sports. I have far less injuries and it has strengthened my core and balance giving me a stronger back, and that's just the physical benefits! It has also helped me relieve stress and control my emotions and eating disordered tendencies because it increases your mindfulness and self awareness.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Yoga has honestly changed my life. I started at a local studio in October and nothing has been the same since. I go two-three times per week right now. Each session is one hour long. In addition to it being a kick *kitten* workout (people will say it's not a good workout - they are liars - it is such a good way to build muscle and it can be an excellent cardio workout as well, surprisingly) It's also an excellent way to relieve stress and forget about a long day. I go at night to unwind from a day in the office. If there is anything that you should try, it's yoga.
  • profesorakate
    profesorakate Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yoga has helped me with my knee issues and digestive disorders and has increased my performance in other sports. I have far less injuries and it has strengthened my core and balance giving me a stronger back, and that's just the physical benefits! It has also helped me relieve stress and control my emotions and eating disordered tendencies because it increases your mindfulness and self awareness.

Ditto
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I started bikram yoga on 3/2/13 and currently doing a 30 day challenge. My core, balance and flexibility is much better after 15 days. I have a knee injury due to mild arthiritis and a baker's cyst on R knee. To date, weight is steady but hoping to lose my last 7 lbs but focusing on diet mainly!

Great question. I am practicing in a studio which they have the 90 day challenge. Mat, towels and special rate is included. I think is a great bargain to focus on flexibility, core muscles and alignment!
  • LovelyLaura2321
    LovelyLaura2321 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just started yoga about a month or so ago, and I love it! Life is easier in a lot of ways. I'm more flexible and feel stronger, which really helps me with my workouts. Yoga makes me feel relaxed and energized all at once. I love it.

I do it about 4x a week and just use Youtube videos. Sean Vigue is my favorite yoga instructor on Youtube! I love his videos. He has some for complete beginners, and they are very basic.

I definitely recommend yoga!