To Switch or Not to Switch?

Options
lwearn
lwearn Posts: 29 Member
So, my 30 days for $30.00 with Curves is coming up, and well I've found myself kind of getting bored with it : ( Our local Anytime Fitness has a free 7 day, pass that I thought I'd take advantage of. I'm scared as hell to go to a gym (as I'm a first timer). But, really I've got to do it. What do you think? Should I do it or just stick with Curves for awhile?

Replies

• nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Can you not do the free 7-day trial and if you don't feel comfortable go back to Curves?
  • lindsayrose
    Options
    I go to Anytime at the moment. It is one of the least intimidating gyms I have been to. I've been to 4 totally different gyms and right now Anytime works great for me. And it is the cheapest membership I have seen lately.
  • lwearn
    Options
    Can you not do the free 7-day trial and if you don't feel comfortable go back to Curves?

I can, but it would just be more expensive to join if I waited. And I'm just not sure it seems worth it after all of that. I just think that Anytime Fitness sounds like it has more bang for your buck. But I could be wrong.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I personally didn't like Curves at all. I go to 24 Hour Fitness and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I pay $24 a month and can go to any 24 Hour I want to. I get such a better workout here than I did with Curves. And for me Curves hours were just horrible. I take a few classes at 24 Hour too, which are included in the $24, and the classes are so awesome! The pool is even better! If you mention Biggest Loser you get a great discount!
  • tvgal
    tvgal Posts: 87
    Options
    Honestly, if you're already getting bored, I'd try the new gym. I know it's a little nerve-wracking to show up somewhere new, but i think finding a gym that you actually WANT to go to is really important. Plus, it's free! At least go one time. If you hate it, you never ever have to go back!

I'd been going to the local Y for the last 4 years, mainly because i could get a membership for $20/mo. and I knew there would be people of all sizes there - I love working out and have always played sports so I'm athletic but not thin. I really get discouraged when I'm working out next to teeny women only wearing sports bras - it's weird, I'm aware. Since I've joined, the membership price has more than doubled, and I'm really getting annoyed that they let kids run amok. There is nothing more irritating than finally hitting your stride on the treadmill and having a kid come and pull off the emergency stop magnet - happened twice! well maybe watching a 10 year old try and sprint at 10mph just to trip and fly off the back of the thing, acting like it's some sort of carnival ride or something...

Anyway, I recently switched to a new gym - 18 and older only - that not only smells better lol, but all of the cardio machines have LCD TVs. I love it! I have actually been looking forward to going, and because of that I feel more confident in my weightloss journey, and what can be better then that!
  • funfor5
    funfor5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    HI -- I really think you should give the "switch' a try..... I did curve's for awhile too and found myself getting board and stopped seeing results as the routine is always the same - variety is what keeps me going. It's nice to be able to do the treadmill, an eliptical, a stairmaster, switch up just doing arms one day and legs another....... I think it is more fun! I also think that machines with actual weights work better as you have resistance both directions on the machine - better results. Don't be intimidated, nobody is really watching you eventhough you might think so -- everyone there is there for a personal goal and I bet will be very friendly to you and want to encourage you to reach your goals :flowerforyou:

Good Luck to you and stick with it whatever you decide!
  • onwisconsn
    Options
    One of the cool things about Anytime is the fact that you can go anytime, 24/7. I'd try it, maybe try to go at an unusual time to minimize the presence of other people until you feel more comfortable. Also, you will find that most of the people that go there are trying to squeeze some exercise into busy schedules, and thus just really focus on getting it done. When I belonged, I found that most of the other members were like me - out of shape people doing what they could to get in better shape. I didn't really run in to gym rat's when I went, and I didn't feel like I did at some of the ritzy gyms - people with perfect bodies out to make themselves more perfect , and making sure they looked good during the process like it was a social scene. Anytime Fitness is a good place to get on an eliptical or treadmill and just go and not think about anyone there, because chances are they won't be thinking about you either. The one negative aspect (which caused me to stop going) is with no scheduled hours or classes, you have to really motivate yourself to go regularily.
  • ailysp
    ailysp Posts: 69
    Options
    I think I would give the new gym a try. I went to Curves for a while and found myself getting bored with the same routine, the hours were not practical either. I knew when my renewal was coming up that it was time for me to move on, go for it you will be glad you made the change....
  • lwearn
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the great advice you guys! Its really great to have all of your support out there :smile: I'm now definitely motivated to go try out Anytime Fitness as soon as I complete my 30 days (on 6/26) at Curves!
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    If switching keeps you working out, by all means, switch!