Any vegans here?

Options
Hi,

I was just wondering if there are any other vegans on this site? If so, does anybody have any tasty, low calorie, simple dishes/receipes as I tend to stick to the same foods, and would love to try something new. Ta!!

Replies

• Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    Well, I can't class myself as fully vegan as I wear leather and do occasionally eat animal produce (a few times per year if I eat out or go to someone's house or really fancy something, etc), but on a normal day, I try to steer clear of meat and dairy.

I like making vegan carrot cake and chocolate cake. I don't have any recipes as such but I like to experiment in the house.

Have you read the Skinny B1tch recipe book? There are some good recipes in there.
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan, but only eat animal products at night. I grill tons of veggies and use them to make salads, either with raw veggies, or mixing with a little cous cous, or whole wheat pasta. They are a great stuffer for pita as well. I also recently made a great cold soup with cucumber and avocado. Really good during the hot summer months. And curry. Anything with curry.
  • little_miss_very_bad
    little_miss_very_bad Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thw cucumber and avocade soup sounds interesting - how do you make it?
  • RosieB405
    RosieB405 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am not but I use a website call recipezaar.com to find quick simple recipes
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I adapted the recipe from a Cooking Light recipe. I thought theirs was too labor intensive. I don't have exact measurements, so you'll have to experiment a little bit. Let me know if you like it.

You'll need the following ingredients. Separate into two batches, and then puree each batch in the blender and chill thoroughly.

About 5 cups of peeled & seeded cucumber, cut into bite-size chunks
    1 ripe avocado, halved and cut into chunks
    Chopped dill, about 6 Tbsp
    Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
    4 Tbsp of lemon juice
    4 Tbsp of rice wine vinegar
    Veggie broth - add for desired consistency (after putting half of the cucumber in the blender, I poured in enough to cover half of the cucumber. Not sure how much that is, but you can start with a little and add until it gets to the thickness you want).
    Sriracha sauce, small amount (or other hot sauce of your choice - optional, to taste)

If you like other cold soups, try gazpacho, too. I love it, and the South Beach Diet book has the best gazpacho recipe I've tried (and I've tried several).