Scale or no scale?

Options
I have decided to pretty much just never weigh myself ever again. I don't want to fixate on a number because there are too many factors for me to see that as an accurate measurement. I don't want to get down to 130 lbs (my original goal weight) because what happens when I gain muscle? I also don't really care to measure myself in any way but I might still do that, at lease at my waist.
I just wonder does this sound like a good idea? Do you want to join me? Because I don't know about you but I don't want to be thin, I want to healthy and love the way I look.

Replies

• chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    i've only weighed myself twice since i started jan 1 2012. i go by inches lost and how my clothes fit only.
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've found I weigh myself obsessively and it doesn't really help me feel better, though it is interesting to see how much my weight fluctuates throughout each day. I'm for not weighing yourself though, or maybe just once a week or once a month. You don't really need to otherwise.
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I weighed daily while losing, and weigh daily while in maintenance. It is the same way with my husband. We are retired, and when traveling, pack the scale! We leave on a cruise at the end of the month, and just ordered a travel scale from Amazon to take with us since the bathroom scale is too big and bulky. It works for us. For me not weighing allows me to live in denial.

Marie
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of not being fixated on numbers, but unfortunately I just have to know how much I weigh. A bit like having to know the time. I feel lost without the guidance of numbers. But I agree that it is more important to be happy with your body, not just get down to say, 150lb JUST because that's what you were before children or whatever
  • kmw899
    kmw899 Posts: 41
    Options
    I used to weight myself daily and let every gain and loss get to me.

Now I stick to weighing myself and taking measurements once a month.

There's other ways I can tell I'm making progress, like my jeans fitting more loosely.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh once a month. Sometimes I'll go for a week or so where I weigh everyday, then I feel obsessive, THEN I break up with the scale. There seems to be no in between for me.
    I'm onto the last 9 pounds, so close to my goal, it's hard to not be focused on the number.
  • maniesduchocolat
    maniesduchocolat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I weight myself once every 2 weeks, but I pay more attention to what the measuring tape, my clothes and the mirror say to me
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh once a month. Sometimes I'll go for a week or so where I weigh everyday, then I feel obsessive, THEN I break up with the scale. There seems to be no in between for me.
    I'm onto the last 9 pounds, so close to my goal, it's hard to not be focused on the number.

I measure and take pics more than I weigh. When I do weigh the number doesnt affect me like it used too. Can see the changes via photos and measuring.
  • two2lu
    two2lu Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Have gained 20lbs since Aug. Went from working 50hrs a wk to being off work. I've started circuit training for 2 wks now and decreased my caloric intake, but the scale will not moved! Very discouraged :(
  • allysonvb
    allysonvb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Weighing is too defeating for me, too. I go by measurements, pics, and fitness.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of not being fixated on numbers, but unfortunately I just have to know how much I weigh.

This is me. I think checking in weekly is best, but more than that proved to be counterproductive.
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    i've only weighed myself twice since i started jan 1 2012. i go by inches lost and how my clothes fit only.

I admire you. That takes a lot of strength.
  • shaunalynn11
    shaunalynn11 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have to weigh myself daily or I gain weight. It's a daily reminder and I know I fluctuate so I don't obsess over the numbers. I record the weight weekly though.