The "Cheat Day" (?)

Options
Hey folks -
I've visited the boards several times in the last month, but I can't get a sense of how people feel about the concept of a "cheat day (6 days a week)." When I got married four years ago, I was at the height of a "health craze." I ate under 1500 calories a day, exercised 1.5 hrs. a day...but always took Saturday off to eat whatever I wanted. In less than 12 months, I dropped from 250 lbs. to 195 lbs. and I felt great. Well, since then I have let the "real world" get in the way (can't get to the gym everyday) and have gained all the weight back.
Long story short, I'm trying to get a healthy lifestyle back, but I am leary of the "cheat day" (maybe it contributed to my downfall?) Some people swear by it...others run from it. What is the general consensus on this board?

Replies

• LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    If I didn't have a cheat day, then every day would be a cheat day.
    I find it helps me stay on track when I know I can have what I want on my day off.
    And a lot of the time, by the time that day comes, I don't even crave some of it anymore.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    My theory is that if you completely cut out junk food its going to be that much harder to stick to eating good. I think a cheat day is good, I actually change mine to a cheat MEAL (1 meal) about every 2 weeks to have something I kinda crave. Think of it, its long term so it wont be a big deal to make up for it
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Most people on this board agree that a cheat day is a great idea and that it helps control binges and enjoy your life. The one recommendation I and others have is to ensure this is just a treat (much better than evil "cheat" word lol) and not an all out binge. So have a fast-food meal, dessert or potluck at work on your treat day but don't eat EVERYTHING b/c today is the only day you can.

Good luck – be sure to eat enough based on the workouts you can fit in. 1500 calories is the minimum for adult males so be sure to eat more on days you work out.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a cheat day. If there is a big occasion, I try to eat in moderation, but never deprive myself of anything on a daily basis. Over the last year, I have made it a point of knowing my limits when it comes to food. Sometimes I overindulge, but that isn't very often. I refuse to wait until a special day to eat certain foods because then the temptation to eat those foods all the time is too much for me. For me, that has helped me to keep my weight at an even keel for so long. Yes I would love to lose the last 10 pounds, but I think I am really okay if I don't, so long as I keep my weight the same.
  • Robin66
    Robin66 Posts: 103
    Options
    I think you have to have a cheat day, if you don't allow yourself to have something indulgent once in a while you will inevitably fall off the wagon and not get back on. I don't have an all day cheat day, just a cheat meal, I eat whatever I want once a week. I swear that is what has kept me on track. I say have your cheat day.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    One "rule" I swear by: An occasional in-control cheat day (or cheat meal, whatever works for ya) will keep you sane!

I have a theory I call the stinky shoe theory. If you go on an eating plan that absolutely forbids eating stinky shoes, you will pine for stinky shoes until you cave and eat every stinky shoe you can find. Okay, so it's not a *realistic* illustration, but you get my point: forbidding yourself things will only make you crazy. If you know you'll be able to enjoy them in the near future (within reason of course) suddenly it's not such a big deal.

Good luck :smile:
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    My husband swears by it . . . sweet tooth junky that he is . . . he'll do pretty hard core workouts/eating habits and one to two days a week he just eats whatever (he's a fireman so he's got to stay in shape for the most part). I can't take a whole day because I have a really hard time getting back on track. Not totally planned, but I gotta slip in a cheat here and there . . . it shouldn't derail the whole venture . . . but truly, this is for life, a lifestyle, not just to dump a bunch of weight and then . . . ?? Hard core with a cheat day works for Justin. A little more easy going but steady works for me. It really depends on your personality.
  • ellykay7
    ellykay7 Posts: 26
    Options
    In my opinion, if you are trying to get healthier and lost weight you are in the process of changing your lifestyle. If you have one day that you look forward to simply because you get to eat whatever you want then that is like hanging onto the past lifestyle instead of moving forward. It's not good to deprive yourself either, but everything in moderation. If you really want something then have it, just have a smaller portion of it or even just a bite or two. But if you are constantly thinking about the day you can have anything that is bad for you, then you aren't really moving forward and changing your mentality and that is why people yo-yo with their weight. Just something to think about. Best of luck to you!
  • hawkfanhh
    hawkfanhh Posts: 1
    Options
    :happy: YOU HAVE to have a cheat day!! Working out even if for only 30 min a day and eating healthy 6 days a week is still great! You have to have one day a week to just relax and enjoy but dont over-induldge!
  • sweetoblivion314
    Options
    I don't really understand the concept of a "cheat day" or cheating in general. I don't really deprive myself of foods i crave but I also don't really crave unhealthy food. I have not had a soda in 4 or so years and I never would to drink one. Not a big fan of chocolate. Couldn't care less if i had a beer (and i used to drink 5 nights a week). Cookies are my downfall but I never crave them, just eat them if they are around. So to solve that I just never buy them.
    I know that if i am craving something it just means I am really hungry and any food that fits with the crave will do. If i want something sugary i eat fruit instead. salty i eat meat. etc.
    I don't consider eating healthy depriving myself of good food either, because some of the healthiest food is the most delicious!
    And as long as you know how to do your portioning then you can eat almost anything you want. All about moderation.
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    i think its better to think in terms of meals.....for instance:

I just ate that whole pizza for breakfast?!?!?! maybe I shouldn't BBQ tonight as well?

versus

I just ate a whole pizza for breakfast but its a cheat day so I am going to have some beers with lunch and get ready to BBQ later.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    My cheat day has a tendency to turn into several days. I stop logging and am derailed for a few days - or worse!. It may be psychological but I think that, for me, fitting a few treats into my calorie budget works better. I'm still not back on track from my cheating on Saturday. :frown:
  • marlenia
    marlenia Posts: 33
    Options
    Must have a cheat day! I wouldn't make it without one!
  • hollyroode
    hollyroode Posts: 76
    Options
    I wasn't allowing myself a cheat day at all. But now that I've hit my goal weight I think that 1 day a week of treating myself will be okay. After all what's the point of working so hard if you can't relax and enjoy yourself once in a while!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,983 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: the longer I eat only healthy foods, the better I feel and the less I crave non-healthy food.....some days I can't avoid going over on calories due to long meetings that keep me from being active and burning calories along with restaurant meals......but I've successfully lost weight and kept it off by staying focused on a healthy path :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Ellem86
    Ellem86 Posts: 204
    Options
    I agree that a cheat meal works. If I were to allow myself to eat whatever I wanted for an entire day I have a feeling I would just eat cr@p food for the sake of it!
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I never have an entire cheat day. I'll have one cheat mean a week, but that's it.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    i think its better to think in terms of meals.....for instance:

I just ate that whole pizza for breakfast?!?!?! maybe I shouldn't BBQ tonight as well?

versus

I just ate a whole pizza for breakfast but its a cheat day so I am going to have some beers with lunch and get ready to BBQ later.

Hilarious!

My cheat meal is Friday dinner. If there is something I just can't get out of my head I will look forward to Friday all week, knowing that I will eventually get it. It helps me hold out from cravings I have everyday. Which i would otherwise give into, every day!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I try to just eat in moderation. My biggest issue is fast food and too big of portions. I try to stay away from fast food and I work hard at limiting my portions.

However, there are days I just can't stay away from fast food. I then try to pick healthier options.

There are days when we dont' want to cook so we get pizza - I stick to 2 slices.

I wouldn't say I have cheat days, but I don't forbid anything. If I really wanted a donut, I'd get one. I would just try to eat half of it or get donut holes and limit myself.
  • naturebaby
    naturebaby Posts: 161
    Options
    for me I don't really have a cheat day, I eat healthy (mostly), if I eat something that may be too high in fat or calories, I account for it somewhere else within my week of tracking. If I go overboard on monday I will be more careful for a few days afterward. I also agree with the mentality that this is a life plan, it's just not realistic to think that I may NEVER have another glass of wine or a plate of mexican food! I just account for it with more excercise and/or a bit less fatty food for a day or two. :drinker: cheers