Biscuits encourage middle section weight?

Options
My friend told me that she read in one of her womens magazines that foods such as biscuits can encourage middle section weight deposit especially in people prone to holding on to weight here such as apple shapes

Just wondering what would other peoples opinions be on this? Is it myth or in all fairness if you eat within your calories and macros can you have a few biscuits without it affecting your weight loss?

I'm just concerned i'm not much of a biscuit person but i do enjoy some mcvitites with tea in the evening, i havent noticed it hindering my weight loss however, i am targeting belly fat and leaning up and are such foods counter-acting my progress? cheers for the advice :).

Replies

• jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I thnk it is true for some people based on genetic background.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    American biscuits(salty,savory bread), or British biscuits(i.e. cookies)?
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    No. Enjoy your biscuit. Your weight will come off in whatever order you are genetically predisposed to. Again, enjoy your biscuit guilt free. As long as you are in a deficit you will lose weight.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    If you have a metabolic disorder, eating refined carbs and sugar may mess with your weight loss. Otherwise, just make sure you're staying under your calorie goal for weight loss. Having a couple of biscuits (cookies?) shouldn't wreck your weight loss.

ETA: Your body loses weight where it wants in the order it wants. My rear end is the last thing I lose. Tummy is first. It doesn't matter what I'm eating.
  • mapnerd2005
    mapnerd2005 Posts: 363
    Options
    Translation: Cookies cause belly fat.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    mmkay biscuits are carbohydrates and if u maintain an appropriate amount of carbs each day u shouldn't have a belly problem. I am not one that assumes biscuits are the culprit but maybe going over in the amount of carb grams is.......
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Well eating "a few" biscuits is really the problem. Some of them are around 300 calories for just one
  • melindanew
    melindanew Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You friend told you she read it in a women's mag...ok, then.

It's a big internet out there, go have a look around.

No, its not true. Eat what you want, eat less calories than you burn, and you will lose weight whether the calories are made of biscuits or broccoli.

You probably know by now (but again, go have a look) that you can't spot reduce, so 'targeting belly fat' is pretty meaningless. Eat less calories than you burn, exercise if you want so you can have more calories, and the weight will come off. If you want a well toned body, exercise with weights.

No secrets, sorry.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice guys i know its common sense guess im just second guessing myself, and they are more like mcvitites rich tea biscuits as opposed to cookies and stuff, but i know i just need to be smart about this, the odd 2 won't hurt but not to make a habit out of it :).
    again thanks for opinions, helpful as always.
  • mapnerd2005
    mapnerd2005 Posts: 363
    Options
    My advice is to plan out your meals for the entire day in advance. If you really like the biscuits and really want to keep eating them, plan them into your day. I plan ice cream or some kind of dessert into my plan every day. If I'm craving something really sinful or am planning going to a restaurant, I'll put it in my diary and then try to balance the day out around it. Sometimes that means a longer workout, sometimes it means a dinner of 4oz of baked chicken breast and a cup of broccoli (not that that is bad, I actually enjoy that meal). There is no reason you have to give up the foods you love, but planning it out in advance helps me to not binge on junk if I get a little hungry. I have been back on this site for 3 months now (after a 2 year break), and have only altered my daily plan twice. Once was because a co-worker invited me to lunch and the other time was because I was just flat out starving. I have since figured out I was not eating enough for my activity level and have adjusted my target calorie range accordingly. I have a strong NO BANNED FOODS policy, and I can and do eat whatever I want as long as I plan for it.