Healthiest restaurants.... What do you eat out / on the go?

Options
due to my living work situation at the moment I'm eating out / on the road a good bit. I've been doing great for the first couple weeks but I can see my self getting bored with the same things after a while. What restaurants to you guys target when you're on the go? Mainly quick lunch during the day etc.

Replies

• raygunn_viola
    raygunn_viola Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I like subway, quiznos, schzlotkies...(i totally murdered that last one, but u know what i am talking about...) any place i can get a good sandwich with some veggies and protein.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    Any place with grilled chicken and greens... my go-to "what the hell should eat?
  • mattmcphail
    Options
    My go tos so far have been Panera, Natures Table, and Tropical Smoothies. Unfortunately quick and convenient usually equals carbs in the form of breads and wraps. I'm a sucker for that stuff too.

Keep the suggestions coming.
  • HolyPeas
    HolyPeas Posts: 71
    Options
    Honestly I feel like you can get something decent where ever you go
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Chipotle, Saladworks and the Whole Foods salad bar are my favorite options when I can't eat at home.
  • heidihorton
    heidihorton Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Subway, Applebee's, Arby's ( run from the fries lol) any salad bar including some grocery stores
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I loooove Subway because it's very easy to customize a sandwich to be much healthier. For example, you can get flatbread instead of white bread to save on calories. You can load up on the tons of veggies they offer and choose turkey for a lean protein. All sorts of awesome options and combinations, and even the preset sub choices that they have can be very good. I love the sweet onion chicken teryaki sub. It's amazing and it's pretty low cal.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Garbanzos, Tokyo Joes, Sushi, and occasionally subway,
  • Laurenmp16
    Laurenmp16 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Not sure if they have them where you are..but Togo's and El Pollo Loco post of all their nutritional info, making it easy to find 'good' choices.
  • Susay2942
    Susay2942 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If it just has to be fast food I stick to a grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo. On a long road trip I love Cracker Barrell. They have an online site you can check the menu aand calories to plan ahead. IHOP has great low cal heart healthy breakfasts on thier menu.
  • allysonvb
    allysonvb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I agree that you can find something most places- just be aware of the sodium content! I think Wendy's chili and grilled chicken is good, salads can be if you get a lo cal dressing (or I bring some cottage cheese because I don't like dressing), lean steaks or salmon can be found at most sit- down places, as can some form of fish and steamed veggies. I love subway, too.
  • Southernlady1988
    Options
    I like greek on the go or Mediterranean. Their chicken is usually roasted without the skin and the salads are pretty light with mainly olive oil and feta. or you can a get a chicken shwarma sandwhich....with wheat pita, lowfat greek yogurt, chicken and lettuce. hummus isn't too bad either....its similar to a bean dip and you can dip wheat pita/bread in .....good protein source and not bad for you.
  • Southernlady1988
    Options
    also, jason's deli salad bar or i really like their veggie wrap....they make it taste meaty with mushrooms and you can order a side of salsa for dipping or fruit with low fat yogurt.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Tropical Smoothie Cafe, Any sandwich place, Greek food, anywhere I can get "street" tacos (sans cheese and guac), Mongolian stir-fry places like YC's (here in AZ) or Ghengis Grill...I tend to avoid anywhere that has a drive-thru and if I MUST then it's Jack In the Box for a Chicken Fajita Pita no cheese and NO fries. :)
  • cricket_77
    cricket_77 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    If I'm looking for a quick bite to eat, I'll get 2 chicken tacos from Taco Bell. I get it fresca style which is even lower in cals.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Produce section of the nearest grocery store.. get the mixed greens from earthbound farms.. a jar of green olives, grape tomatoes and feta cheese. mix it all up. grab a fork from the friend chicken counter and a bottle of water and eat right out of the container.

(ps you do not use all of the cheese or olives so leave them in the fridge a work to top anything.. mmmm)
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    When I go out to eat, it's pretty much chicken breasts and veggies, fish and veggies, or bunless burger and veggies. Veggies are usually brocolli, cauliflower, green beans, or squash. Being as I'm a low carber, I don't eat potatoes or corn.
  • Compudad
    Compudad Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Mcdonalds for the oatmeal, Wendy's for the chili, Dunkin Donuts for the egg white and ham wrap, Subway for the soups, Ruby tuesdays for the salad bar and Burger king for the Veggie Burgers
  • jj1973
    jj1973 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Subway or a mom and pop shop. Mom and pop shops tend to have less over processed foods. They are more apt to let you create your own meal too. Order a grilled chicken sandwich with no bread and the lettuce and tomato as a side salad.... :) You just have to have the discipline to stay away from the high fat foods while you are there!