For Women Close to - or over 50

Options
:grumble: I'm hoping to find some friends going through the same thing so I don't feel so all alone!

When I was in my 20's I could skip a meal and lose 10 lbs. After I had my kids and got closer to 30, it got a little tougher. After 40, it required a little more exercise and dieting. From 49 on up, it's nearly impossible to lose more than 5 lbs! Granted, I have a job where I sit all day long, but for the past 9 months I've been going to the gym 5 days a week, getting cardio in as well as strength training. I meet with a personal trainer 2x a month and we've changed my workout around quite a bit. I even meet with a dietician. I've lost 5 lbs and gained it back a few times since being on their program. The winter has been tough and because of bad weather I've missed a few days at the gym. I'm hoping this spring to get out and walk on my lunch breaks, evenings and weekends in order to get a little more cardio.

Are there any other women out there having issues like this?

Replies

• hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hi from another Barb - yes, I have had great difficulty losing weight since I am older. Very frustrating. I find that my calorie restriction is much more aggresive now than in the past. And even with this restriction, the weight does not come off easily.
  • Barbsunshine
    Options
    Hi Barb!
    Well, it's good to know I'm not the only one. I'm still pretty new here so if you (or anyone) are looking for friends, feel free to add me :smile:

If anyone knows of a way to speed up metabolism, let me know!
  • fabry12
    fabry12 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am around your age too. What worked for me was a combination of cardio, weight and diet for a long period of time. I did two weight session of 30 mins per week, 3/4 hours cardio and 15 miles biking every week-end.
    The problem is that I gained the weight back when I stopped my routine and get back to the old eating habit.

Now I am starting again, :-)
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    What's your diet like? Exercise is great for many, many reasons, but it's what you eat that will move the scale. I'm personally doing calorie-cycling (eating a different number of calories every day, ranging from one fasting day a week of 500 up to my TDEE of 2100) and it's working. Last year I tried just sticking to 1000 to 1200 calories a day and was not only miserable but lost just 17 lbs in 4 months. I'm losing at double that rate now and I'm eating more. It's all about not sending your body the message that lean times have arrived and are staying.

BTW, I'll be 47 in a couple of weeks and I haven't started incorporating exercise into my plan yet.
  • Barbsunshine
    Options
    Before I became a member here the dietician had me on 1800 calories. I had a tough time eating that much in one day! When the scale didn't budge then she reduced me to 1600. MFP has me on a little over 1400, which seems realistic. I'm sure to have well-balanced meals and not over-due the breads and carbs.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm 47 (and in denial!!) I haven't hit menopause yet, which will probably make a difference. I'm under 5 foot so I don't get many calories a day and that stinks! I'm working out more, eating Better foods, less processed, more veggies. Working out and adding muscle helps with the matbolism. I also have a desk job I'm at from 8:30 - 5:30 then home and straight to all the kid stuff until bedtime. Its hard to work it all out, but its now important to me. I have to stay healthy for my two little ones! (5 and 3)

Feel free to add me if you'd like.

You are NOT alone!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'm 55, 5'2" and now weigh 115 lbs. My BMR is 1100 so I ate bout 1200 to lose 20 lbs and now eat about 1350 to 1400. I got the 20 lbs off between April and September with just doing 30 minute DVD's at home and EA Sports Active on my Wii. I really didn't find that it was harder to lose than when I was younger but it does suck having fewer calories to eat than all the young people.
  • Barbsunshine
    Options
    I've really got a lot to lose, but my goal for now is 50 lbs. I think this program along with everything else I'm doing will make a difference, it has to :-)

I'm 5'4" and weigh 215. I can't believe I'm making that public! Sadly, this is the most that I've ever weighed, even while pregnant. It's got to go! I think menopause has made things tougher also.
  • lynda3y9
    lynda3y9 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i do the same.... same 5 pounds and hard to get it down and oh so easy to have it move back up!

i am pretty new on here too ... feel free to add me.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    It is hard, in part because you have so little room to maneuver. You have to rigorously monitor everything you eat until you figure out what kind of deficit you need. Exercise is great for your health, but not essential to weight loss. (I'm not saying don't do it, but it's okay to make it a lower priority right now.) If pressed for time , focus on what you are eating. Weigh everything, eat a little under now and then to compensate for the understatement of calories (occasionally) on labels, which is permitted by law.

Understand that the energy expenditure calculators online may not be accurate for you. The only way to know for sure would be to be tested in a lab and even that result could change. You have to keep records, identify trends, and make judgments. If you go on for weeks without losing weight you are almost certainly eating too much for your needs or eating the wrong kind of food (too many sugars and refined carbs.)

Weigh yourself at least once a week so you know whether you are on the right track. You may not lose weight every week, but you will see trends. Use a method to track your body fat percentage.

I've never been overweight. I came here to maintain after an injury. The only way I've been able to lose some weight (not anorectic, small but not wraithlike) was to try something slightly more intensive. Intermittent Fasting has worked for me, although there are different types and it's not for everyone.

Finally, I recommend theeatingacademy.com website.

You can do it.
  • Cassea7
    Cassea7 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've really got a lot to lose, but my goal for now is 50 lbs. I think this program along with everything else I'm doing will make a difference, it has to :-)

I'm 5'4" and weigh 215. I can't believe I'm making that public! Sadly, this is the most that I've ever weighed, even while pregnant. It's got to go! I think menopause has made things tougher also.

Hi I am 48 and 5'4 and 202 lbs..I weighed more about one month ago but didnt weigh..I know how you feel. 30 day shred is the best!! I have shrunk down in size 4 inches off my waist. I also suggest eating lean protein and clean foods..coconut oil in place of butter or marg..You can add me if you like..I am super serious..and have hope that i will be looking good by summer!!
  • mfpcopine
    Options

It is what it is. What matters from here on out is that you are honest with yourself.

Our metabolisms are heavily affected by hormones, among other factors. Menopausal women often find it harder to lose weight, although I don't believe they know the exact reason.
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm 46, going through menopause and have struggled with my weight since my late 20's. What has worked for me, so far, is faithfully logging EVERY BITE of food and exercising (mostly low intensity cardio (elliptical)and a little light weight lifting/strength training (wii EA sports active) almost every day. Staying consistent and keeping with it,even if I have a day/week that is not as diligent as other days/weeks. I went on a cruise and still logged everything, went up on my calories,but still logged... and still exercised. I've just decided it's my new lifestyle, not something I'm doing till I get skinny, lol.

I am 5'3 and started out weighing 218.5 last May- who knows I may have been more before that. I didn't weigh myself for months because I didn't want to know. lol.Now I weigh daily, and don't let the fluctuations get me down, as long as the trend is that I'm losing. Keeps me focused.

Just keep on working at it, make it your new lifestyle and it will happen!! :D
  • Barbsunshine
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the great replies and support. I appreciate each and every one of you! :wink:
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the great replies and support. I appreciate each and every one of you! :wink:

The link should have been eatingacademy.com. Sorry.

Best of luck.
  • healthywtb
    healthywtb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I am having trouble losing weight also. I am 53 years old, 5 feel 6 inches. I lost about 6 pounds since November 2012 - but nothing for almost 3 months. I currently weigh about 142 pounds and would like to weigh 125 to 130 pounds. I do cardio, weights, and circuit training about 45 - 60 minutes 6-7 times/week. I eat about 1200-1500 calories/day - and pretty healthy. I am low sodium, gluten-free, lactose-free, and vegetarian. I have been adding weights lately instead of cardio only, and also interval cardio too. I do not have any obvious hypothyroid issues. I have lost inches and definitely toned up and increased my strength, but not much weight.

I did see a suggestion of fasting, eating high calorie, then medium calories - to maybe reset my body's metabolism? I have not tried that yet.
  • m1311
    m1311 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm 54, well past menopause, and it's almost a year since I started here. I kept gaining weight each year, taking off a little, and then inching up again. A friend suggested this site.

What works is eating fewer calories than you need, but it's hard to figure out what that means without eating too little and scaring your brain and body, because it's such an inexact science. I set my loss to half a pound/week, and then tried to be very honest about my calories. I never weighed anything except for fish and chicken to find out what three ounces looked like, but I did measure a lot. When I had a meal that was hard to figure, I'd look it up and take a middle-to-high calorie count. When I exercise, I take the lower numbers (counting minutes as vigorous exercise, for example, only when my heart rate is up in the 90% range). I measure food occasionally to make sure I still know what 1/3 of a cup is.

Our household emptied out almost everything with added sugar, stopped buying processed foods for the most part (we still eat some sausage and cheese, for example), and we went to whole grains. When I eat (our homemade) bread at night, my weight is up in the morning, so I don't eat bread or pizza except on rare occasions. There's no juice or other sweet drink in the house.

I exercise from half an hour to about an hour daily. It seems like mixing up workouts with high intensity intervals helps get the fat moving off of us middle-aged ladies, and weight workouts are helpful there too.

It might seem as though I didn't have much to lose, but it was a struggle before I started MFP and almost easy, once I was here. The weight took most of a year to come off, and now my biggest issue is continuing to monitor. I highly recommend getting into rowing as a full-body, calorie-demanding exercise. I'm not sure whether my MFP friends (and their challenges) or the site alone has a bigger share in my success, but I certainly appreciate both more than I can say.

You can do it! As the weight comes off, you'll find that you want to get off your chair more often and you'll have energy for more than you expected.
  • goldie21047
    goldie21047 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM, 48, 5'5", currently 189, and have been here for just over a month. I gained weight over the winter to the point where my clothes were uncomfortable, so I'm trying to drop the first several lbs. kind of in a hurry (net calories of 1370). The first week, I dropped 5 lbs. (of water weight, presumably). Since then, I've lost about a lb. a week. I have no idea whether this will continue. I do fine when I cook and eat at home, but not so sure about eating out -- the unknown calories and the salt! I have my MFP set to sedentary and usually eat back my exercise calories. When my clothes fit comfortably again, I am planning to set my calories at 95% of maintenance for my goal weight of 145 (net of 1480), then go to maintenance level (net of 1560). I try to exercise 4-5 times a week (tennis, jog, pilates, walk the dog, 30 day shred -- it's a mood thing). Oh, and I measure/weigh and log everything -- keeps me from grabbing something every time I walk through the kitchen. I'm looking forward to the day when I can run around on the tennis court without the equivalent of a big ol' bag of dog food strapped to my back.

I'm trying to stay flexible and make sustainable changes.

Best of luck to you! to all of us!
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hey - is everyone here looking over my shoulder? We all sound alike. I'm 53, 5'1", 175lbs, desk job, been working out 5x week & keep losing & gaining those same 5-10 lbs. too bad I couldn't add up all those pounds lost - I'd be at my goal weight by now! I just found this site about 1 1/2 weeks ago & I've lost 1 lb. so far. Not much but it's a start! I was always trying to stick around 1,200 calories & am now 15-20% below my TDEE which puts me around 1,800 calories so that is a big adjustment both in eating & in my mind! I'm hoping it works for me! Time will tell wont it? My biggest issue at this time is trying to get all of my protein in.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely critical to get a grip on what you eat. Every single bite! Weigh, measure, and stay in budget. Cream in coffee, the candy from your co workers desk, the taste while you're cooking, it all adds up and can add a couple hundred calories a day. You will lose if you eat at a deficit but you have to be honest that you are doing that.

I don't eat exercise calories back and it makes a huge difference. I find as long as I eat nutritious meals I don't need to and training yourself not to always be seeking more food goes a long way toward success as well. I've been at maintenance for almost 2 years now but I will always log my food because if I don't I start making excuses and gaining again.