Breast Cancer Chemo Goodie Bag -- Questions!

Options
Phoenix_Rising
Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
A friend of a friend--- her name is Amy. She is 31. She has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer. She is single.

My friend wants to make her a goodie bag full of stuff to do during chemo.

Not having been through it myself, I wanted to reach out to those in the know and ask:

What kinds of things can and should go in the bag?

Suduko puzzles. Cross words. Word searches.
Girl magazines (not to be confused with "girlie magazines"! ha!)
Coloring books and crayons.

What about things like Tums for upset tummy? Facial wipes for wiping away sweat or .... sigh, well.... vomit if she gets sick during or afterwards. Lip gloss/ chapstick? Tissues? Pretty band aids or colorful medical tape? Books on tape/cd?

Be creative, but also give me realistic ideas of what she will find useful during the chemo too.

Replies

• RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Books? iPod? Portable Game Player? A good friend to talk to?
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Ask Chrissy. I'm sure she'll have tons of ideas! I think this is a great idea!
  • LAgal
    LAgal Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Wish I could offer some advice. I would like to say Bless you and your friend for being so wonderful to her!! :heart:
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Peppermint tea. It is calming, tastes great & can settle an upset stomach (after chemo, etc).

My former boss (also breast cancer) had a "schedule" of friends who went to chemo with her. We arranged a different friend to go with her every time & they would talk, laugh, but not discuss the chemo. It was a good catch up time for her to have some time with friends and made it slightly more bearable. Even our then CEO took a turn and went with her! Could you (if possible) make a schedule like that?
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Love patience prayer. And marijuana. Thinking of her,,, thanks for sharing.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Ask Chrissy. I'm sure she'll have tons of ideas! I think this is a great idea!
    Ditton -she'll know!

BTW I think what you're doing is a fantastic idea - incredibly caring!:flowerforyou:
  • chronosfire
    Options
    Bananagrams! It's such a fun game :) Or old school games like Guess Who, or Uno.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    What a great idea! Whenever I had to take my Mom she slept and didn't really do much. Seems like you have a lot of really great ideas!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice everyone!!!!!

I'm not putting together the bag; a friend of mine is. They are in another state. I don't know Amy but wanted to help him get ideas for the bag.

I like the idea of a friend schedule. He can be the coordinator so when things come up for people (as they inevitably do), he can call in the sub. GREAT IDEA THERE. But all the items will be helpful if no one can accompany her or if she & the friend wanna play games.

Peppermint tea just sounds pleasant. :smile:
  • Corbinsmom
    Corbinsmom Posts: 117
    Options
    I think maybe a CD of some relaxing music, or the books on tape. I would recommend that if you get her wet wipes, gloss, lotion to make sure there is no frangrance in it. I know the sent can make some people nausous or the frangrence can burn their skin depending on the type of chemo they are having. I hope she is doing well. I love the idea of a goody bag! Maybe a stuffed animal to hang on to. Saying a prayer for her!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    First-i was way to sick to my stomach to focus on puzzle books...suduko was way over my head at that point. CHemo brain is a very real issue!

DVDs, maybe Itune gift card.

I liked magazines - where I could just flip thru if I wanted.

100 questions/answers to breast cancer questions was a book I read all the time.

Think of it in terms of if you had a stomach bug - what would you feel like.

Some hard candy or gum....helps kill the tastes from chemo.

If I think of anything else - I'll post again!

Hats/scarves.

Very sweet idea.
  • AllisonMS
    AllisonMS Posts: 104
    Options
    sweet idea.
    Generally, when you're young -- I was 41 when I had 18 rounds of chemo for breast cancer -- chemo kicks your *kitten*, nausea-wise. You're too sick to read, too sick to watch an entire movie, too sick sometimes to pick your head up off the pillow.

All you want to do is settle your stomach, and all that helped me was:

banana bread
    blueberry muffins
    (See why I gained 20 pounds??? But they're gone now!)

But the MOST HELPFUL thing -- and I tell this to anyone who knows someone seriously ill like this -- is the website www.lotsahelpinghands.com

It's a way to organize the sick person's life -- rides to doctors, meal deliveries, playdates, the sick person can even keep a blog to update people on their status. Because of my Lotsa Helping Hands website, I felt connected to and supported by people all over the world, and my community organized everything I needed. And my phone didn't ring much, which was good, since I was too sick and exhausted to answer.

The second most helpful thing: hulu.com and the complete series of Friday Night Lights. It was perfect for me.

I'm so sorry such a young woman is going through this, and I wish her good luck!!!
  • badknees
    badknees Posts: 16
    Options
    There are some great books that I can recommend as both a Christian and breast cancer survivor who had a mastectomy a few years ago. The Joyce Meyer CD's are wonderful, and so are her books, and great for such a young person but useful to anyone. They are light reading, but powerful and off the topic of cancer and more on the topic of life and the practical ways to live it in faith. Her books aren't heavy on religion but they offer powerful messages. Her book Eat the Cookies, Buy the Shoes is one I have not yet read, but the title tells you it must be a book about self love and preservation, a must when undergoing such treatment. The books with the quick hits in them, just simple reflections and then some lighthearted stories are great, so that your friend doesn't have to focus on details, but can get a little inspiration and then drift off into her own ways of using it. My experience has been that even though there may be many around us willing to help, we need the alone time in our heads to think it through and listening to a stranger is sometimes less invasive than visiting with friends, although that is nice too. I will put her on my prayer list right now.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Thanks guys!!! I'm passing all these responses along!!
  • TROUBLE2
    TROUBLE2 Posts: 6,660
    Options
    Thanks guys! I am sure Amy will be very happy with all of the ideas that you provided! :)

I will try putting it together now... she is going in for surgery soon and then august for the chemo...

i have not tha slightest idea what to say other than I will be right here for you!

thanks again for all of your imput! :)

i :heart: you guys!
  • flwyland
    flwyland Posts: 142
    Options
    "Chicken Soup for the Breast Cancer Survivor's Soul" and a "blankie'.