How did you do it? How did you lose so much weight?

Options
124»

Replies

• driley9330
    driley9330 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Zumba! 600-1000 calories burned in an hour. Plus counting calories!
  • Andrew_peter
    Andrew_peter Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Highly diligent with counting calories. Like to the point of weighing lettuce. Weigh everything raw also!! Way too much inconsistency with cooked foods, or trusting the values in the database here also, so much of it is wrong. Use the USDA database website for accurate values. I'm eating pizza, the odd beer, and even wings, but when I'm out of calories that's it.

Also daily exercise!! Ton's of cardio and a good HRM for accurate results has helped with my motivation 10x. Then, only eat back 1/3 - 1/2 of calories burned minus your BMR for the time working out. Hit the weights 3-4 times per week to preserve as much muscle as I can too.

40 lbs in 11 weeks doesn't lie.
  • carmelbabe
    Options
    Did you increase your calorie intake since you were "working your rear end off"??? If one adds exercise do you have to increase your food intake??????
  • debbiejojo
    Options
    This has been great info shared from all. Thanks!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    caloric deficit, running, heavy lifting.

accurately counting my food (which includes cake, pizza, beer, and other stuff I love).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/885191-153-lbs-in-365-days-pics
  • 3doggmomm
    Options
    I have lost 11 pounds since February 1st but by actually eating more and staying within the 1200 calorie range. A co-worker told me about Weight Watchers Smart Ones and Michelina's prepackaged foods and I'm eating one daily for dinner along with a slice of bread or in some cases baked tortilla chips. For lunch I will have one of the smaller caloried foods and all keep me full and have plenty of protein which is what I was lacking all along. I'm vegetarian (no meat or chicken) but do eat enjoy pasta. I have always been a picky eater. I know some people don't believe in prepackaged foods but they are not that expensive and I've enjoyed eating much more than I ever have. All my numbers on the FP food diary page are within range including sodium which was my biggest concern. I'm almost 60 yrs old and when I quit smoking 3 yrs ago I gained about 30 lbs and no other diet has worked for me. I walk my dog at a moderate pace of 3 mph daily and try to get at least 30 minutes in daily. It's the easiest way I've ever tried to lose weight and I track my food in FP daily and I truly enjoy picking out the food daily. I also put a chocolate protein powder in my coffee every morning which is also good. Hope to lose 40 more pounds by the end of 2013!
  • kristendube
    Options
    In theory its simple...eat within calorie range and workout. But the hard part is staying focused, not giving up, realizing it WILL NOT happen over night, learn as you go, and most important (at least it was for me) is get your head right before you even think about trying to get your body right.

i love this answer...
  • samantha1373
    Options
    I've only lost 20 lbs, and I have maybe 10 more to go 15 at most, and I think the key to doing it is doing it for your self, and believing you can do it. we all hit snags , or yoyo a bit , especially over the holidays But I just recently make a 5 week commitment to my self to REALLy stay on track and work hard, and so far even if its not a weight loss its been an inch loss. I Just think the most important thing is to NOT compare your self to other and to stay on track for you , even if you have to talk your self into it EVERY day!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    one day...one step...one meal...one snack...one decision...at a time. repeat as needed. Its simple. It isn't easy....but it is simple.
  • jdub224
    jdub224 Posts: 120
    Options
    "How did you do it?".

Most people who ask me this question get very sad look when I answer them honestly. There is no shortcut. You have to change your life, if you want to change your life.

Move more than you eat. Even if it's a slow walk. If it's only 3 reps. If it's only 5 minutes. Then the next time you do it, do more.

Mostly, don't give up. Don't ever give up.
  • melwa
    melwa Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    In theory its simple...eat within calorie range and workout. But the hard part is staying focused, not giving up, realizing it WILL NOT happen over night, learn as you go, and most important (at least it was for me) is get your head right before you even think about trying to get your body right.

i love this answer...

This ^ . I'm working on the principle if my head is in the right place, the rest will follow. Great thread, OP.
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Was honest with my logging. Weighed and measured every thing I ate. Stayed with in my calorie goals set by MFP. Lost my first thirty five pounds then started adding exercise on a regular basis.
    My diary is public feel free to look. Right now I am set at maintenance because I have been sick for two weeks and can't seem to kick it. Haven't exercised in two weeks either :(. But starting to feel better so hopefully within the next week I can get back to it.
    I started with a goal to lose 2 pounds a week then switched to 1 1/2 lbs. I eat back at least half my exercise calories and usually I eat between 1500 and 2000 calories a day.
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    This is awesome. Tonight I did emotional eating first time since Oct 2012. Never give up. I like this!
    Hello,

I am wondering what are your workout routines/eating habits...specially for those who have lost a lot of weight (50 lbs+).

I started Oct 2011 and at that point I was 287. I cut my portion sizes (like, instead of eating half a pound of chicken I ate the sizes of a deck of cards, I measured cereal and milk and ice cream, measured somethings by the palmful etc.) and for the most part (85%) I didn't drink calories. The only exercise I did was housework and childcare (which I wasn't doing before but it wasn't my house or kids so that's OK). I did this until June 2012 and got down to 227 (I was 211 at one point but it didn't stick.) It literally was eat less and move more.

From June through October I got depressed and stressed for reasons that weren't related to weight but also let the fact that my weight loss was stalled get me even more down. I donated all of my skinny (to me) summer clothes thinking I was destined to be 227 for the rest of my life.

Fast forward Nov 2012, I lost 10lbs that month. After the first week I was HOOKED and continued losing through Christmas (except for a small gain I can't say was holiday related or TOM -- either way I lost it pretty quickly). January 2013 rolled around and I was scared that I was going to stall out again so I got back to MFP and started reading the posts in this community.

As of March 2013 I'm doing TDEE - whatever percent is keeping me at a loss of 1.5lbs/wk. I really am not positive of my math here and did it a bit backwards. I still don't measure and weigh food 100% of the time but I log everything. Period. If my living situation allowed me to weigh and measure I would with out a doubt, and I recommend everyone that can does I'm just saying truthfully I don't right now.

I still don't exercise 95% of the time but I'm doing what's working for me right now.

Whatever you do DON'T GIVE UP. That's really all that matters. Keeping at it (switching things up when it's not working) and it will happen.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating garbage, tracking the good stuff I ate, and exercising like a mad man....
  • belleparis
    belleparis Posts: 111
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has left a message. I have read all of them. I highly appreciate your advice! the sense of community and support here at MFP is awesome. :love:

T H A N K S !
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I learned to eat what my body needed not the fast food I was eating. I started working out and found me again. I love the gym I always did but when I became a wife and a mom I put them first and forgot how much I loved working out and being in shape. I eat...I eat a lot!! I love my egg whites in the morning and my day just doesn't seem right without them anymore! I found MFP 620 days ago and I realized how many calories I was taking in and how little calories I was burning. It was an eye opening experience! It's not easy but it will become a way of life and that's when it just becomes who you are. This is the new me and I love it. I still have 10 pounds I want off or maybe it's all the skin left or maybe it's more muscle I need...it's a life long journey- I got time to get it right! Enjoy your new life!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!