p90x

Options
I am a full time working mother of 2, plus with husband, let's face it i have 3 kids. I have let myself go, I am out of shape. I borrowed my friends p90x Dvd's and I am wanting to try the program, but wholly hell am i scared. I believe I am scared to see what I actually am not able to do anymore...any suggestions:sad: Emily

Replies

• Yankeefan1
    Options
    Hey emily
    Um I would take your time with the dvds. Know this you can do this and it will be hard to do but just do what you can do. I would suggest just modifying what you can of it. If you need any help i would love to help you..
  • BeBoppinAlong
    BeBoppinAlong Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ty so much i appreciate the input, and i will let you know if i need help :smile:
  • neuro_nut
    neuro_nut Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You can totally do it! I was not very fit when I started... currently in stage 3 and loving it! You can modify moves and/or take breaks to get through the workouts at first. Give it a try! You'll probably surprise yourself... I know I did :)
  • Mustaine4Pres
    Options
    do what you can and don't be afraid to modify! i also rest during the breaks.
  • lambch0ps
    lambch0ps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I was soooo out of shape when I first did and I'm not gonna lie - the first week was brutal - but it gets easier. And I think its the fastest way to get in really good shape. You can do it!
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I just watched the "How to bring it" video. I have to admit that made me even MORE skeptical, because this guy talks like a shyster. But, I previewed some of the workouts, and I'm feeling a little better about it. There's no reason to be scared of DVD workouts. Just stop if it's too hard. Take a break, go back to it if you can, or stop altogether if you feel like you're going to hurt yourself. Also, if you're unfamiliar with weights, sometimes it's a good idea to do a workout through the first time with NO weights, to acquaint yourself with the movements.

I'm going to try to start this sometime. I don't have a pull up bar, or bands, so we'll see how that will go.

Anyway, good luck, and have fun!
  • luftballoons33
    luftballoons33 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It was SO hard when I started, and with one week to go, a lot of it still is (WHY is the yoga so hard?!) But it's so worth it - I look and feel a lot better. It can be hard to accommodate my schedule sometimes, but with a little effort, I'm able to make it work. Some weeks I have to rearrange the workouts so shorter one falls on a day I have less time, and I move the longer ones to a day when I'm off work, but I've been able to do it. Sounds like you deserve to do something for yourself, so go for it :smile:
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    You can do it, and you're worth it! :) As you move through the dvd's, day by day, week by week, it will become easier, and you'll see the differences it makes. Make sure you measure yourself before you start so you can compare later on.
  • NCBeth
    NCBeth Posts: 2
    Options
    I found it very helpful. I did a select few of the DVDs for about 6 months at my pace and ability. It helped me to regain some of my fitness and then I returned to running. I say go for it and just stick to your own pace. Good luck.
  • Steph13RN
    Steph13RN Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Bite the bullet and just jump in and do what you can!! Some exercise is better than nothing at all!!
    I'm quite a bit overweight and decided to do Insanity. I loved it. Totally kicked my butt, but saw results right away in my stamina and heart rate. I also dropped some weight, but say the inches melt away.

Whatever you do, just keep pushing play ... it will help, even a few times a week is better than none at all! Good luck!
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    They show how to modify moves in the dvd's to help you if not in shap, injured, etc. it's totally do-able!! I was scared too but once I got thru it I couldn't stop !!! Ended up doing 3 more rounds of it even:)
  • rdrage73
    rdrage73 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    P90x and P90x2 are great programs with a cult like following. The pain and sweat will be worth it. I did P90x2 but didn't really follow their diet plan and I still lost quite a bit and have never felt better overall. To show you that you can do it, I was a 20 year smoker and got up to 219lbs after I quit (I'm 5'9" for reference)
  • mzzwheeler9
    Options
    You so can do this!!! I'm a mom to a very on the go 1 1/2 year old...I feel like I have no time to myself every single day! I have had a hard time taking the last 10 lbs of baby weight off and was desperate to do something after seeing the pictures from Christmas. I've been doing the P90X program for a little over a month and it really does get easier with each workout.

Always remember, mind over matter...your mind will give up 100 times before your body ever will. Anything good and worth having in life is rarely easy, a beach worthy body isn't either. Start a reward jar and put a dollar in it everytime you work out. When you reach a goal you've set, use the money in the jar to reward yourself!!

You've got this, go tackle it in full force momma!!!
  • vegas711
    vegas711 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely do this. I was you on round 1, and now on Monday starting round 3. Take your time, do your best, don't be afraid to use the pause button. You're welcome to join out group if you like. All are welcome
  • thump418
    thump418 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You can do this. P90X is a great workout. My best advise would be to stick with it, go at your own pace. Don't worry about what kind of numbers the people on the DVD are doing. If you can only do 3 pushups to start, that's OK. You will be surprised at how quickly you will adapt.
  • Stacy574
    Stacy574 Posts: 58
    Options
    I am on week 2 and I love it. I have 5 kids and a hubby plus I tend to take care of anyone needing me too. lol Just stick with it you can do it!
  • lisamarie229
    Options
    Emily,

I'm acutally a beachbody coach and I have to say P90X and insanity are our best sellers for a reason! They take a bit to get used to (expect to be sore, which means have whey protein or a good recovery formula afterward!) but have amazing results! Tony Horton tells you throughout the program to just do your best and keep pushing play! You don't have to keep up with the video at all times and you are allowed a ton of breaks! Try it out and if you don't like it there are plenty other less threatening programs you can try!
  • noscrubbs78
    Options
    I am way out of shape considering where I used to be, and am on week 3 of P90X its awesome! Take it from me I work 10 hour days and still try to get in my workout before I start my day at 5am, some days I can't so I have to go home and do it after. It's really worth it, I've noticed a considerable difference already in what I can do, keep track of what you do and like he says in the video "do your best forget the rest".

Take breaks and modify, they show you how. :) Good luck in your journey.
  • lisamarie229
    Options
    AND.. if you need any extra encouragement along the way let me know!
  • eloisemonteiro
    eloisemonteiro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I consider myself in a good shape (I mean I can do a long time of exercises before get tired) and I have to say, this ab workout from p90x kill me every time - I'm following the program, just started 2 weeks ago - don't be scared, the key is pause when you need, take a breath, drink some water, and get back, one exercise at a time, don't focus on the time left in the clock, focus on the movements, what are you doing, the correct way, and when you see you'll be on the cold down and fine :)
    If you still feel so insecure I'd recommend start something "light" , maybe a Ripped in 30 or 30 Day Shred? (you can find on youtube for free)