Sodium bloat- diet soda?!

Options
So I drink diet coke a lot because it seems to fill me up

I've heard there is a lot of sodium in diet soda?

What effects will it have on my body?

Replies

• Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Looking here at this nutrition label, it says one can of Diet Coke has 30mg of sodium. This is pretty much negligible when you consider the ~2000mg daily recommended limit.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    A can of diet soda has about the same amount of sodium as three baby carrots.

If you feel bloated, it could be the carbonation (all those bubbles you swallowed) or a negative reaction to the artificial sweetener.
  • Elby0030
    Elby0030 Posts: 32
    Options
    Have you looked up how much sodium is in a can of diet coke ? it would be written on the can. I have just looked it up, and according to this website;

http://productnutrition.thecoca-colacompany.com/products/diet-coke

there is 40mg of sodium in a diet coke can.

Where is live (Australia) there is a Suggested Dietary Target of 1600 mg of sodium per day. This means that each can of diet coke is providing 1/40th (a little over 2%) of the suggested target of 1600mg, i would say this is a low level.

I'm not saying diet coke is a good thing to drink, but it is not particularly high in sodium
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    There isn't much in it...but if you're drinking alot of it you probably aren't drinking enough water.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's sodium but rather carbonation.. the reason why when you shake it up it explodes lol
  • small4me
    small4me Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I had always heard ~ and was told by many non-diet pop drinkers~ that there is sooooooooooo much sodium in diet pop~
    I love my diet coke and have for many many years! I used the barcode scanner from MFP app - and I was very pleasantly surprised at how low the sodium was!
    On the other hand, I have fairly low BP so I need a bit more sodium to keep it from dropping too often.
    The bloating could be the carbonation or just the liquid itself.
    :drinker:
  • cjjohn1
    cjjohn1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Never mind the sodium! The aspertame is killing you!

Any of these symptoms sound familiar?
    Headaches, muscle spasms, irritability (yeah, I know, we all have that at one time or another - lol!)
    heart palpitations (had that - none so far), joint pain, dizziness
    WEIGHT GAIN (I lost 10 pounds without doing anything else as soon as I quit drinking Diet Pepsi!)
    tinnitus (that's ringing in the ears - I had that, it has subsided!)
    blurred vision, rashes (had those, too - not so much now),
    seizures, hearing loss, depression (The big D! - quit taking my anti-depression med and not missing it),
    fatigue, nausea, vertigo...

the list goes on and while these symptoms can be attributed to other problems, the fact that a lot of mine went away, tells me that aspertame IS a dangerous drug. One that the FDA SAYS is okay, but is, in fact, yet another lie.

Go ahead and quit, see if you lose any weight without doing anything else and see if that doesn't convince you, too!
    I wish you the best!
    ~cj
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    The average can of diet soda is low in sodium.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I love diet soda but gave it up for Lent. I am not craving it and I am just going to stay off of it. You body processes it as sugar regardless so eliminating that and alcohol has helped tremendously.
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    Forget the sodium...how about the chemicals...those are what you should be concerned with!
  • melindanew
    melindanew Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Headaches, muscle spasms, irritability (yeah, I know, we all have that at one time or another - lol!)
    WEIGHT GAIN (I lost 10 pounds without doing anything else as soon as I quit drinking Diet Pepsi!)
    seizures, hearing loss, depression (The big D! - quit taking my anti-depression med and not missing it),

the list goes on and while these symptoms can be attributed to other problems, the fact that a lot of mine went away, tells me that aspertame IS a dangerous drug. One that the FDA SAYS is okay, but is, in fact, yet another lie.

Go ahead and quit, see if you lose any weight without doing anything else and see if that doesn't convince you, too!
    I wish you the best!
    ~cj

Any sort of peer reviewed studies on this?
  • shadowfeet33
    shadowfeet33 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, and have no idea what the reason is for this, but every time I let myself start drinking diet sodas (1-3/day) I am so bloated and put on weight. When it dawns on me what I have been doing differently and I cut them out again, I drop 5 or so pounds right away (like a few days). It can mean the difference in a size of clothes for me.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Forget the sodium...how about the chemicals...those are what you should be concerned with!

And the caffeine if it isn't caffeine feel! And caffeine is a diuretic, so that would make you shed water!
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options

I wish you the best!
    ~cj
    No.
  • cjjohn1
    cjjohn1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I found a page with a list of peer reviews on aspartame:

www.mpwhi.com/peer_reviewed_research.htm

Haven't read them all, but most are backing up what I said.

*edit* Sorry, I hit the wrong button when trying to include melindanew's request for peer review study sources. This is for her and anyone else curious about how dangerous aspartame is. :-)
  • jon9949
    jon9949 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Diet Grapico has 0 sodium, but it is not available everywhere. I have lost weight just fine while drinking diet drinks. Of course I crave sugar...don't we all? Eat very small portions :)
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I found a page with a list of peer reviews on aspartame:

www.mpwhi.com/peer_reviewed_research.htm

Haven't read them all, but most are backing up what I said.

*edit* Sorry, I hit the wrong button when trying to include melindanew's request for peer review study sources. This is for her and anyone else curious about how dangerous aspartame is. :-)

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/are-artificial-sweeteners-safe/
    http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/aspartame-truth-vs-fiction/

Science, science everywhere.

Also...

http://www.myiris.com/newsCentre/storyShow.php?fileR=20140319130931717&dir=2014/03/19

still safe for consumption. Still not killing you.