Impossible goal?

I've been working out since January 8th. I started at 237lbs and today I am 214lbs. Took about 2 1/2 months to lose 23lbs. I want to get down to 170lbs by August 1st or sooner which is 40 more pounds to lose. I track everything I eat and never go over 1500 calories and if I do I burn it off with exercise which I do 6 days a week. I just started insanity yesterday and my weight loss before was from p90x/turbofire. I'm wondering if this weight loss goal is realistic. I'm a "right now" kind of person and this slow process is hard for me.

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    I think you could do it, but whether you could maintain the weight loss, might be a different story. i have strived for one lb a week, and it seems to be very doable, without seeming like punishment.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    It's aggressive but doable. The question is do you have the perseverance to do it or will you burn out? Many people fail because they want to lose to fast. They get frustrated and give up. Instead of at a slower more sustainable pace.
  • blott1987
    blott1987 Posts: 21 Member
    Maybe I should change my goal to 50lbs by the new year. Hmmm...
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Six months times four weeks equals 24 lbs at a lb a week? You are looking at 44 lbs, aggressive ? Yes. Calm down! Be proud of what you have accomplished.! Pace yourself! If you push yourself to lose too fast it will only come back to bite you in the @ss!
  • joanfudala
    joanfudala Posts: 41 Member
    Take your overall goal and break it down into smaller targets that will be more achievable, especially in the short run. One benefit is that you will gain confidence as you accomplish a goal. Second advantage is that you will be motivated to continue. Stay focused, and don't give up!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    take the timeframe out of the picture. problem solved. If you start setting these "I have to lose X amount by X day" goals, and don't hit them... for whatever reason... you're just gonna wind up disappointed and feel like a failure.

Eat healthy, exercise, don't restrict your success by a number on a calendar.
  • wazjoe
    wazjoe Posts: 20
    ^ What he said. Just eat healthy, stay active, and don't make excuses. I've lost just over 30 lbs so far after restarting in February. But I also started at 340 lbs. Just keep up the good work and nothing will be impossible.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    I've been working out since January 8th. I started at 237lbs and today I am 214lbs. Took about 2 1/2 months to lose 23lbs. I want to get down to 170lbs by August 1st or sooner which is 40 more pounds to lose. I track everything I eat and never go over 1500 calories and if I do I burn it off with exercise which I do 6 days a week. I just started insanity yesterday and my weight loss before was from p90x/turbofire. I'm wondering if this weight loss goal is realistic. I'm a "right now" kind of person and this slow process is hard for me.

As others have stated:
    1. Yes it is possible to achieve your goal
    2. A slower pace would be easier to maintain (and assuming you are lifting weights while losing weight, allow you to preserve more muscle mass as you lose weight)

Great job so far! Stay focused and you will achieve your goals. The time frame is not as important as it feels to you right now.
  • joanfudala
    joanfudala Posts: 41 Member
    Take your overall goal and break it down into smaller targets that will be more achievable, especially in the short run. One benefit is that you will gain confidence as you accomplish a goal. Second advantage is that you will be motivated to continue. Stay focused, and don't give up!
    I forgot to mention that I lost 36 pounds in 6 weeks. I am currently at my goal weight with about 21% body fat.