Healthy BMI, Doc Says I Still Need to "Drop a Few"

Options
So I went to a new doctor today for a regular check-up/exam. After getting my height/weight, the doctor told me I needed to lose weight even though my BMI is still in the healthy range, under 25. Quote: "I'd like to see you drop a few pounds"... SERIOUSLY?? There's a "range" for a reason!! So essentially, because I'm closer to 24.9 than 18.5, I need to lose weight? Whatever happened to having a range of healthy weight?

Granted, I am trying to lose a few pounds to get back to my personal ideal. But even with those couple extra pounds, I still felt good about myself because I knew I still fell within an average/healthy weight range and I knew I was working towards my goal. However, now I just feel bad about myself and I am so discouraged... I've lost any and all good self-esteem about my body image :( Encouragement welcome!

ETA: I normally look and feel my best between 140-145, but now I feel forced to lose even more weight than that.... hence my new goal of 125, according to the doc. So, so upset!! :(

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    What is your height and body frame type? What about your body fat percentage? Maybe you don't need to lose weight but do a recomposition?
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    how tall are you? and your doctor is one opinion..if you disagree, then don't take pressure from him
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Okay, so you are on here to lose a couple pounds. Good for you! Your Dr. Essentially agreed that it would be a good idea. Trust me, at your age, be the best you can be! It's a lot harder as you get older! No, not a cop out! I am going to do it. It's just harder now:huh:
  • Idolina_Marie
    Options
    I'm only 5'4, but at 140-145 I have a relatively flat stomach (not rock-hard abs, but just average and healthy looking) and my jean size is a size 6 at that weight. However, at my smallest in my life during high school, I weighed 130 and I looked far too thin--even with being so thin and almost "boney looking", my jean size still never fell below a size 6.
  • ashiggins
    ashiggins Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like the doctor was very professional (unless you've been seeing the same doc for years and he/she is comfortable to speak to you that bluntly). However, from what you shared, the doctor definitely wasn't encouraging you to get down to 125 pounds. You said you feel your best around 140-145 which is a few pounds away....which is what the doc suggested. So....I guess I'm unsure of why you are upset? BMI is a very loose indicator of "healthy" body weight. Maybe the doc realizes you have a certain size frame that could be healthier with a few more pounds shed because frame size and muscle mass make a big difference when choosing a "healthy" weight.

Don't be discouraged! I'm sure the doctor wasn't trying to negate the work you've already put in. If you didn't this time, maybe ask him/her to clarify why he/she wants you to lose a little more weight? That way you can feel more comfortable with the suggestion
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I just read a shocking article in Prevention Magazine about Drs. discrimination against overweight patient/women (even if they're not...like you) and obese women patients. It was really deep and scary--here it is:

When Your Doctor Makes You Feel Fat
    Overweight women are often given a biased diagnosis because of appearance. Here's how to make sure you get the health care—and respect—you deserve.

Read more: http://www.prevention.com/health/healthy-living/weight-and-obesity-discrimination-doctors#ixzz2O2hY72uH
  • Idolina_Marie
    Options
    Okay, so you are on here to lose a couple pounds. Good for you! Your Dr. Essentially agreed that it would be a good idea.

But I never shared that with her-- even though personally I prefer to be between 140-145 because that is when *I* feel *my* best, I never shared with this doctor that this was the case. I never shared with this doctor that I look too thin if I drop into the low 130s. She simply made this assumption that since my BMI according to my height/weight was in the higher healthy range, it wasn't healthy enough. I have no relationship with this doctor, as she is new, and this was essentially our first interaction.
  • Rachelmilloy
    Rachelmilloy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Oh pshaw! If you go to mybodygallery.com,my of can look at pictures of other women of your height, weight, and body type... That should give you an objective idea of your size. My bet is that you will think everybody else looks great at that size. In your doctor's defence, he may just mean that being on the thin side of the healthy range is healthier. :smile:
  • Idolina_Marie
    Options
    However, from what you shared, the doctor definitely wasn't encouraging you to get down to 125 pounds. You said you feel your best around 140-145 which is a few pounds away....which is what the doc suggested. So....I guess I'm unsure of why you are upset?

I appreciate the encouragement! But 125 was her recommendation for someone that is my height :/ Hence, why I was a little upset.

The point is, regardless of where I personally feel most comfortable, why am I being punished of being in a healthy weight range? What if someone with a healthy BMI of let's say 24.5 felt totally comfortable with themselves and lived a relatively healthy lifestyle--should they be told that they NEED to lose weight?
  • Idolina_Marie
    Options
    I just read a shocking article in Prevention Magazine about Drs. descrimination against overweight (even if they're not...like you) and obese patients. It was really deep and scary--here it is:

When Your Doctor Makes You Feel Fat
    Overweight women are often given a biased diagnosis because of appearance. Here's how to make sure you get the health care—and respect—you deserve.

Read more: http://www.prevention.com/health/healthy-living/weight-and-obesity-discrimination-doctors#ixzz2O2hY72uH

Very interesting article, thank you!! :)
  • tbetts23
    Options
    Okay, so you are on here to lose a couple pounds. Good for you! Your Dr. Essentially agreed that it would be a good idea.

But I never shared that with her-- even though personally I prefer to be between 140-145 because that is when *I* feel *my* best, I never shared with this doctor that this was the case. I never shared with this doctor that I look too thin if I drop into the low 130s. She simply made this assumption that since my BMI according to my height/weight was in the higher healthy range, it wasn't healthy enough. I have no relationship with this doctor, as she is new, and this was essentially our first interaction.
    From the sounds of it, you dr. Didn't say that you needed to drop into the low 130s. Maybe he/she would be proud of you at the 140/5 that you desire. The key is communication. Full disclosure. Not always comfortable but sometimes it works. Make another appointment and talk to her again. Voice you concerns!
  • Idolina_Marie
    Options
    Oh pshaw! If you go to mybodygallery.com,my of can look at pictures of other women of your height, weight, and body type... That should give you an objective idea of your size. My bet is that you will think everybody else looks great at that size. In your doctor's defence, he may just mean that being on the thin side of the healthy range is healthier. :smile:

I never knew this kind of website existed?! Amazing! Thanks for the encouragement, I appreciate it :)
  • Idolina_Marie
    Options

From the sounds of it, you dr. Didn't say that you needed to drop into the low 130s. Maybe he/she would be proud of you at the 140/5 that you desire. The key is communication. Full disclosure. Not always comfortable but sometimes it works. Make another appointment and talk to her again. Voice you concerns!

125 was her recommendation for someone that is my height :(
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options

Sounds like you didn't discuss any of this with your doctor. I would suggest you tell this ^^^ to your doctor and see what she has to say. You might be pleasantly surprised.
  • tbetts23
    Options

Again, go back to her, voice your concerns! Is your Bp good, cholesterol, heart rate etc? If yes, if you were my child, I would be pushing you to go back to re-evaluate. Especially when you don't agree!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options

Sounds like she just assumed it's right for you because it's right for the average person of your height. Without having body fat percentage numbers, frame size, etc. this is not a fair assessment. I mean, you are a size 6, that by no means is "overfat". You need to make sure you share your concerns with your doctor. Some people can be within a "healthy BMI" but still be underweight for them.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Ok, are you actually healthy though? I mean are your blood tests also in the middle of the range, or veering close to or over the ends? Any chance of problems with lady parts? Do diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery disease run in your family? Are any immediate family members your doc's also treated suffering from obesity-related diseases?

I'm not expecting answers, my point is your doc has actually evaluated you, while the BMI chart compares individuals to a population and doesn't give individualzed info, like your doc can.
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Because you put this out there to the masses, I am going to give you an honest assessment. I think you are self-conscious about your weight and reacting extremely defensively to your doc's recommendation. You are using language that is WAY more melodramatic and forceful than the doctor used. You say you are being "punished" for being at the upper part of a healthy BMI range and that you're being told you "NEED" to lose weight when by your own admission, your doctor simply said she'd LIKE to see you drop a few pounds. That language is far less harsh and punitive than you are interpreting it.

BMI is only one indicator of healthy weight, and you are clinging to it because it fits with what you want. A doctor who makes medical recommendations based on BMI alone is not worth her salt, and I strongly suspect she made the recommendation based on multiple factors. Is your blood pressure slightly elevated? Do you have a family history of heart disease? Diabetes? (I am already anticipating, based on your responses to previous posters, that you will insist that every single aspect of every test/family history was NOT the reason she made this recommendation).

She is the one with a decade of medical education under her belt. At the end of the day, if you're happy in the 140-145 range, then fine. It's your body. Own it. You're an adult. Get some thicker skin. Yes, your doctor is in a position of authority but you always have the right to say "thanks, but no thanks."
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    You aren't liking the doctors bedside manner, find a new doctor.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    We are all continuously challenged by the healthy/unhealthy question of weight v. some standard. What is clearly not true is that people that are 25BMI are unhealthy based on their weight alone. What is clearly not true is that people that are BMI 18 are healthy on their weight alone.
    That being said there may be benefits to weighing less, or not.
    Its not a medical question, it is one of lifestyle, vanity, and choices.
    At my age 6 pack abs are not a realistic goal. Does that make me unhealthy. No.
    For women of childbearing age with normally high body fat percentages does that make them unhealthy, no.
    The doctor was making suggestions. Mine did a few years ago and it was very helpful to me.
    I suggest you look at it the same way and do what you will with it. Up to you. She doesn't live in your skin.
    Good luck and best wishes.