Out of Shape Doing Insanity Workout Videos

Options
I have owned the Insanity videos for years and recently read up on them. I really want to do them, and feel that it will be worth it in the end but frankly, I am a little intimidated. To give a little background about me, I am not too overweight (5'3" 135lbs), just out of shape. I used to be athletic about 7 years ago, now the most exercising I do is the occasional walk in the neighborhood. I used to be a smoker but haven't smoked for 2 weeks now and started walking more often but I am still nervous. Am I going to be able to handle doing Insanity? Any suggestions or words of advice? :indifferent:

Replies

• BobbyJo28
    BobbyJo28 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I started with Jillian's 30 day shred and then just started Insanity. I also am 5'3" and 137lbs. Im working on becoming more fit too. I was intimidated also, however Shaun T makes you feel that your best if you give it... IS GOOD ENOUGH. He will frequently tell you to stop for water or take a break if your form is compromised. Also in the workouts you take breaks every so many minutes. Also with the encouragement of my MFP peers I felt more confident. You will only fail if you don't try it. Its amazing the stretching you do in the w/o also. I love the work out. My daughter (10) wants to do it with me she thinks its so cool. I hope you try it because more peers feedback would be great :o)
  • Charmainedelaney
    Charmainedelaney Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi Candy, first of all well done on giving up the cigies!.
    Dont be afraid to tackle anything new it will take commintment, effort & on the days you feel it's just all too much (we all have those) be kind to yourself. I can only speak for myself, I have lost a total of 11.5 kgs since I started so I can say keep at tracking yourself it will help.
    When I started exercising I was out of puff but withine one week I had it in the bag & each week I stepped it up by going further & then running between lamp posts, in a few months I was walking 12 kms & running 1 km each day & honestly felt so much better for it. Exercise is not easy but it does get easier so give it a go, if you find it is too much then drop it down a notch (I'm not suggesting give up but perhaps give in till you get better).
    Good luck in your journey, enjoy it & have fun.:smile:
  • Beata375
    Beata375 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I also did the 30 day shred before Insanity. Not for any specific reason ~ but I got bored with it quickly (its redundant after a while). I never got bored with insanity, and to be honest, I crave that "craziness" in exercise now!

I think you can absolutely do it. All you have to do is try your best. Modify things if you need to, you don't have to keep up with him, and you'll be amazed at how quickly you start improving!

Good luck!
  • BunnyBabyDoll
    Options
    I am in my 3rd week of Insanity and I LOVE it. I was probably worse off than you, lol and I'm going for it. The good thing about the videos is you do the moves with correct form and push yourself as much as you can each time getting better and better. So it's for all fitness levels. I couldn't even do a real push up when I started. It's all about commitment and doing your best, your not expected to keep up with those crazy machines on the video right out the gate. I'm not going to lie, it's hard. They are very tough work outs, but if you push yourself and dig deeper every work out you will see results and you will get better and the better you get the more fun the work outs are because they are always challenging you :D Feel free to add me if you want extra support or any other advice. You can do it! You just have to decide to.
  • cindybpitts
    cindybpitts Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Give it a try! It is so challenging and it pushes you so much. You will see that you are getting stronger with every 2wk fitness test. Even more fun if you have a friend. Take before & after pics too. You will see a difference. Just go at your own speed and do what you are comfortable with...even the people in the video have to take a break. DIG DEEPER!!
  • AmandaMaitland
    AmandaMaitland Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You CAN do it! Anyone can! I was scared when I first got it as well and I'm in the middle of my second week. It all started when I watched this infomercial and there was a guy on there that weighed in at.... 420 lbs!!! He did 3 rounds of insanity and has dropped 200! I know you are no where nearrrr that, but it inspired me. Everytime I think about not doing it, I think about that guy's story and it helps me push through! Yes, I take breaks, I get winded, and have to stop and grab some water.. but it's all mental. You just have to believe in yourself because if I can do it, you can do it! Throughout the workout Shaun T will keep reminding you to go at your own pace, do what you can do, then rest, and when you feel you've gained a little energy to push, then go for it again :) I'm 5'7" and just under 150. It is tough, you will sweat, and you will be sore! I promise you that you if you keep pressing play, you will be SOO thankful at the end! Feel free to add me if you feel you need more motivation! I know you can do this though!!
  • amariecruz89
    amariecruz89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You can do it! My friends and I are currently halfway through Insanity. It is intense, but very rewarding. I used to be very active but not so much the last couple years. Mix that with bad eating habits and well, I had the horror of reading 220 on the scale in January :(

I am currently 203 and started Insanity after beginning to lightly workout again only a few weeks before. I do the best I can every day. I definitely can't do it all perfectly but I am so much healthier now than when I started. If I can do it I am certain you can too :)
  • alikat2986
    alikat2986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    DO IT DO IT!!! I'm on week 3, but unlike most of the above, I have never been an active person. Ever. I had an awakening a few months ago and did 30 day shred, then Turbo Jam now Insanity. It's so hard and so amazing that I will likely do it twice or throw it into another workout in the future.

You can do it!!!
  • elishabrown908
    Options
    I always check out this website before starting a new fitness program - www.topfitnesssites.com - My personal favourite is p90x because it's hard enough that you know your getting results but not so hard that you give up after a few days
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 147-149lbs depending on the day lol..so about 10lbs heavier than you and I plan to start Insanity April 1st.

I say go for it!

(about to complete week 2 of 30 day shred later)
  • HelenaHanbasket
    Options
    ^ What they said!! I am so glad I read all of this because I feel intimidated too! Imma try it!
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I was into my 4th week of insanity and while I had a love/hate relationship with it.. I loved it most. I dreaded DOING it but felt AWESOME afterwards and burned major calories and really improved on my fit test. I messed my ankle up now and this is my 2nd week resting it. The swelling just went down two days ago. I am pretty sure I damaged a ligament in it.

It's worth it and anyone can do it, even if you cant keep up you WILL get better. It IS intense but it WILL get better. I am thinking of doing the 30day shred even though I REALLY want to finish insanity I am scared of hurting my ankle more.
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 2 of Insanity. I was reasonably fit before starting, but it kicked my *kitten*! In a good way! The great thing is that you can go at your own rate (don't try and keep up with the people on-screen), and like the others say, take breaks when you need to. It is a bonkers workout, but short enough that when you think it's too much it's time to cool down and stretch.

I'm loving the high intensity-ness of it, and I can feel my fitness improving after even two weeks. Go for it! (and Shaun T is quite easy on the eye too...:love: )
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Do it! I'm not very fit but am mid way-through week 2 and my fitness has already improved and I really love it, like a PP said I hate it when I'm doing it but it's such a high and sense of achievement afterwards.

DON'T expect big weight loss though, especially in the first month, everything I've read seems to confirm this and weight loss comes in the second month if at all but the big changes in your body are noticeable,. a week and a half in my waist is smaller and my tummy flatter so take pics and measurements and don't worry so much about the scales.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    No one gets in shape because they attempt to do a program. They get in shape because they do a program REPETITIVELY. 1st time for any program is always going to suck if you're returning/starting from scratch. Buck up. Fear creates procrastination.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I was 5'2 140 lbs when I started insanity the first time, Now I'm 5'2 156 and doing insanity again - it is hard but I know some people 200+ that have done it.
  • YummyH2O
    YummyH2O Posts: 8
    Options
    Do it! I did Insanity 16 months ago for 5 weeks, but I stopped due to personal reasons. I look back and I'm full of regrets, I've learned from my experiences now. Don't regret it too! Prior to doing it, I worked out a lot before, hated running, but needed to do some cardio.

I haven't worked out since and I've put on all the weight back at a whopping 252lbs. I started Insanity again 8 Days ago and it is a lot harder than the last time because I haven't exercised in over a year. It's hard, but go through with the pain and endure. Just press play and follow through. You won't be able to keep up the first week or the first two weeks, but you WILL get stronger.

I will tell you, my first session back I did only about 60% of the warm-up and 40% of the whole workout.. Now, I'm a week in. I can do about 95% of the warm-up and 80% of the workout. I still can't keep up with the stretching, but I know I will get there in time. Just press play everyday and continue to do your best, not someone else', but yours. It is intimidating, but accept that challenge it brings! :)
    Edit: I have asthma too and if I can do it, you definitely can. ^^
  • tabbyxxcat
    tabbyxxcat Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Do it! I did Insanity 16 months ago for 5 weeks, but I stopped due to personal reasons. I look back and I'm full of regrets, I've learned from my experiences now. Don't regret it too! Prior to doing it, I worked out a lot before, hated running, but needed to do some cardio.

I haven't worked out since and I've put on all the weight back at a whopping 252lbs. I started Insanity again 8 Days ago and it is a lot harder than the last time because I haven't exercised in over a year. It's hard, but go through with the pain and endure. Just press play and follow through. You won't be able to keep up the first week or the first two weeks, but you WILL get stronger.

I will tell you, my first session back I did only about 60% of the warm-up and 40% of the whole workout.. Now, I'm a week in. I can do about 95% of the warm-up and 80% of the workout. I still can't keep up with the stretching, but I know I will get there in time. Just press play everyday and continue to do your best, not someone else', but yours. It is intimidating, but accept that challenge it brings! :)
    Edit: I have asthma too and if I can do it, you definitely can. ^^

I literally started insanity today and felt like a failure because I don't think I even did half of the workout between numerous water/"I really need to stop and breathe" breaks and from just being so much slower than the people on screen... I even cheated on the push ups (as in pretty much didn't do them).
    This post was exactly what I needed :) glad to know that there's hope for me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!