what is the verdict on oatmeal?

Options
I've always thought it was good for you and I love it.
Am I wrong?
In moderation of course.:ohwell:

Replies

• missypowers50
    missypowers50 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is good for you - as long as you eat plain, steel-cut (like Quaker). Stay away from the packaged stuff with added sugar!
  • rkray3
    rkray3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nutritionist, but I think it's pretty good for you! Good source of fiber and protein, and filling. I eat it every morning for breakfast, and I'm losing weight!
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    As Tony the Tiger says, "Theyyyyyyyyy're food."
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Why would you think it isn't? Oatmeal ROCKS! Delicious and good for you!
  • silversociety
    silversociety Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT! Best Thing Ever!
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    fergelicious!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    The verdict is that it needs to get in my mouth!!!

Anything bur the instant oatmeal.. that stuff has too much additives in it.

I'll take plain oats, rolled or steel, and mix my own toppings in. YUMMY!!
  • ladyhezzie
    Options
    Love the stuff! I eat it every morning for breakfast because it's low in calories, but high in fiber. I also love that it digests slowly, so a small bowl holds back hunger until lunch time.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Yes, great for you.

But I'll take eggs over oatmeal any day. More protein. More filling.
    Unless I'm hung over. Then I eat oatmeal.
  • rkray3
    Options
    Yes, great for you.

I put an egg IN my oatmeal. Whisk it and stir it in just before all the liquid is absorbed. Adds protein, makes it even more filling, and even more delicious!
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Yes, great for you.

I put an egg IN my oatmeal. Whisk it and stir it in just before all the liquid is absorbed. Adds protein, makes it even more filling, and even more delicious!

Wow! That's serious. I'll have to give it a try.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    ew, eggs when hungover is gross just thinking of it- hurl
  • rkray3
    Options
    Yes, great for you.

Wow! That's serious. I'll have to give it a try.

You won't be sorry - it's seriously delicious!
  • missability
    missability Posts: 223
    Options
    Interesting you should ask....I joined on January 1, and was starting my day about 7 am, with either Greek yogurt, or cottage cheese with fruit...I was never a breakfast eater, so that was like an act of congress to get me to do that much! on January 23rd the steady weight loss stalled...I had a big meal at Olive Garden on January 27th and lost the next day...but by mid February I was stalling again, I saw something on Google about oatmeal and weight-loss...one of the things I noticed was I was usually ravenous by lunch time when I only was eating the yogurt or cheese and fruit....so I started eating plain organic oatmeal every morning with a banana cut up in it....BINGO! the weight-loss has been steady ever since. I am at 32 lbs lost and today is week 11! The other bonus is it took care of the hungry feeling an hour after breakfast....I still eat around 11 am but now I can go till 1PM with no hunger if I have too...
  • sunnee5
    sunnee5 Posts: 1
    Options
    I love the flavored, pre-packaged servings. But I do make sure to get the sugar free kind.
    My favorite flavor is maple and brown sugar.
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    The pre-packaged packets that are already flavored often have additives that are not that healthy for you, but the oatmeal has a lot of nutrition benefits--no matter how it is cut (steel cut, quick cooking, instant, etc). It is cheaper and healthier if you make your own add-ons but there are some brands out there that don't have artificial flavors or colorings, you just have to look carefully (that is, if you care about that sort of thing...).
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I see that it is the pre-packaged kind that is the questionable one. I eat a lot of oatmeal and all of the sudden someone slammed it. But apparently I didn't dig far enough. I eat a pre-packaged kind but I always check labels and it has very little other 'goodies' in it. I only ate the Quaker? kind when I was a teen. Now I eat big girl kinds.