running.... want to start but not sure how to start

Options
I started my journey to lose weight July of last year. It has been an up and down road. I have recently re-adjusted my goals and purchased a Body media tracking device. I really like it!! I get an accurate picture of the calories burned. I have been doing kick boxing 6 days a week and love it. But I would like to build my cardio endurance.

I can't currently run/jog more than about a regular residential block but want to run a 5k by Fall. Any training suggestions to get me started?

Replies

• M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    I would look into starting the couch to 5k programme, its for 9 weeks and is a combination of walking/jigging to ease you into running. I did it back in 2011 and haven't looked back! Up to half marathon distances now.

There are plenty of apps available for free these days where you can get the couch to 5k or you could google for podcasts as well.

Good luck :)
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Do you have a running store near your place? If so they most likely have a free run night every week where you can join a whole bunch of people and go out for a run. They would have pace bunnies/group leaders and some would be doing intervals so you could try that.

Some use C25K, I used to run with the Running Room and so no longer really use walk breaks if at all and just run to my heart's content when a guide is available
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Can you walk briskly for 30 minutes? If so, then I second the Couch to 5K program. If not, then I'd start there to get a good base, then move on to C25K.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    it all takes time, i was a smoker and when i first started, boy, i sucked,,, now i can go for hours...
  • traej1973
    traej1973 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Couch 2 5K! Great program!
  • samreitz
    samreitz Posts: 9
    Options
    I agree, Couch to 5k is a great start. I used it and now run 6-7 miles a day. Also good shoes are a must to avoid injury!
  • bowhuntr09
    bowhuntr09 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    C25K is good. I have never been a runner. I'm 46, about 60 to 75lb overweight depending on what chart I go by. I started running in a 10K training team at my local YMCA. We started in early February and we are slowly building up distance. Last Saturday I ran 5 miles for the first time in my life.

My advice is join a group if you can. If not, just go OUTSIDE and run. Try the C25K app. Once you start and start seeing progress you will want to continue. I have about 3 weeks til I run my 10K, I'm already looking for other events to enter. Just get out there!!!
  • rdrage73
    rdrage73 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I agree. a couch to 5k program would be the ticket. Don't try to do too much too soon. Nothing like an injury to derail the enthusiasm and motivation.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I second or 5th? the C25K program. It's a 9 week program but I am doing each week in two weeks because I'm very heavy and I feel pretty winded at the end of my workouts.
  • jmyotter
    jmyotter Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I know many that have done the couch to 5k, seems like a really good program. I also would suggest you look at Joey Galloway's Run/ Walk method. That's how I started running a almost 2 years ago now. I was on a walk with my dogs, and I decided to try and run....made it about a block or two and I was exhausted. Kept at it kept increasing my running to walking ratio, before you knew it I was hitting milestones....1 mile, 2, 4, 8, (tough mudder 12) etc.... I'm only doing about 4-7 on average now, but I'm a lot less beat up and I'm starting to enjoy it :) I never thought I'd say I'm a runner, but I guess I am now!