Tuna

Options
13»

Replies

• rladd6421
    rladd6421 Posts: 455
    Options
    i usually put 1/2 tbsp of olive oil mayo, some spicy brown mustard, dill weed, cayenne pepper, black pepper, paprika, and curry put in an arnold's whole wheat pita and enjoy.
  • becplumpton
    Options
    hard boiled egg whites and tuna mixed together. soooooo surprisingly good, doesn't even need anything else. probably just me that feels that way though haha
  • phoebethang
    Options
    I once tried to cook it as curry with onion, ginger and garlic paste, carrots, tomatoes and curry powder and it tasted acceptable. Just a suggestion for you.
  • phoebethang
    Options
    I once tried to cook it as curry with onion, ginger and garlic paste, carrots, tomatoes and curry powder and it tasted acceptable. Just a suggestion for you.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, why eat it?

and also, watch out for the mercury. I just read this earlier this morning:

"The media made good fun of Jeremy Piven in 2009 when he dropped out of a Broadway show because he ate sushi too often. But what about the man ( http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/had_tuna_meltdown_rQBVzvEAy7XP7gxIxqul2J#ixzz12oV6JCMu ) who ate two cans of tuna every day to get his gym protein? He did that for two years, and reportedly soon found himself losing balance as he walked and having chest pains. Doctors discovered alarming levels of mercury in his body. As of 2011, he claimed that he hasn't been able to exercise."

link to actual info: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/safe-eat-tuna-8130.html
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I like tuna so I may not be giving great advice but have you tried the Cloverleaf flavored tunas? There are a lot of different flavors, they are great for you. Tomato Basil is my favorite.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I mix a can with a little parmesan, jalapenos, onion powder and an egg. form it into a patty and fry it in a little coconut or olive oil.

This sounds digusting and amazing at the same time.
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I dont really like tuna in terms of taste but nutrition-wise I think its excellent. In summer I have canned tuna with chopped up tomatoes and lemon juice or balsamic vinegar (flat leaf coriander too if I have it), mixed bean salad can make this more substantial. In winter I make this soup: grate 1 courgette in a small pan, add boiling water until almost covering courgette, lid on. While thats cooking drain and rinse can of tuna (get the brine off) add that and 3 tbs canned sweetcorn to the pan and heat through. Nice and not to tuna-y.
  • DDCNY
    DDCNY Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Recently I've been adding finely chopped veggies like mushrooms, peppers, and onions and then I add about a 1/4 cup low-sodium tomato sauce.
  • butler5522
    Options
    Hi! I find that Tuna made the following way cuts my craving for chicken wings and has LOADS of flavour! I use one can of Solid White Tuna - 1-2 Tbsp. Pete's Hot Sauce (I use 2 tbsp. love it hot!), 2 Tbsp. raw unsalted sunflower seeds, 1-2 Tbsp. Fresh Parsley (the flat kind) with a bit of black pepper to taste. This paired up with my favourite salad makes a great lunch or dinner option. My favorite salad is 1 cup white cabbage chopped in a food processor with 1 Tbsp. Wine Vinegar, dash black pepper and 1 Tbsp. fresh Cilantro. Enjoy!
  • aklove907
    aklove907 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I mix a can with a little parmesan, jalapenos, onion powder and an egg. form it into a patty and fry it in a little coconut or olive oil.

I am going to have to try this! Thanks for the idea!
  • idlehands79
    Options
    Albacore tuna with onion, cilantro and lime juice in a salad with black beans and some salsa.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    I wrap tuna in bacon.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEH_j5izyKA6tyzpKPUL9IKDTYvArDoWtpjRpj0eFvslMNbPUExQ
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Chunk light tastes better and has less mercury, so start with that.

As alternative to mayo, I have used a little olive oil along with some original Ms. Dash.

Some low fat Ranch dressing also is a somewhat decent mayo replacement.

Of course, I think mayo is the best additive, so you could just eat that and factor in the calories. Eat the tuna the way you like it and then take a 30 minute brisk walk to make up the difference!
  • graced111
    graced111 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Bump.....I like tuna but it does get boring at times. These all sound great.
  • Jamr8231
    Jamr8231 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Tuna is so versatile. I love it with wholewheat pasta and home made tomato sauce. It's super delicious with cannellini beans, olive oil, mint, red onion and lemon.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    1 can tuna (packed in water)
    1/4 c avocado
    2 tbsp hummus
    2 tbsp chopped onion (white, red, yellow or green)
    1/4 c chopped red bell pepper
    1 1/2 tbsp salsa
    1-2 tsp curry powder
    dash cayenne pepper
    squeeze of lemon juice
    1/4 c cooked quinoa
    1 chopped hard boiled egg

The quinoa and egg are optional, but this is a meal for me, so I add them.

If I just want your straight grade school tuna fish sandwich type stuff, miracle whip (it's a TABLESPOON, I'll take the calories), a good squeeze of plain old yellow mustard and salt and pepper.