strength training not showing as calories burned

Options
I don't understand why when I add how many weights I lifted and totaled everything it does not show up as calories burned. Is there something that I am doing wrong, or is it that strength training does not count?

Replies

• sharonsylvester
    sharonsylvester Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    under exercise it shows 0. So I don't get it, that is exercise.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    You're not doing anything wrong, I've found this problem too and have no idea why since all my workouts are mainly strength training :/ I just assumed it was because its harder to measure the amount of cals burnt.
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help you. Today I did P90 Sculpt 3-4 and it is squats and weights. I use a heart rate monitor and just enter what it tells me. And on this site I just enter it under cardio so I haven't tried the weights and reps (too much for me).

Hope you get some answers.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help you. Today I did P90 Sculpt 3-4 and it is squats and weights. I use a heart rate monitor and just enter what it tells me. And on this site I just enter it under cardio so I haven't tried the weights and reps (too much for me).

Hope you get some answers.

Does the heart rate monitor tell you others things then such as calories burnt?
  • ronic68
    ronic68 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there... if you log strength training as a cardio exercise it'll total calories burned for you. Hope that helps! :smile:
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Hi there... if you log strength training as a cardio exercise it'll total calories burned for you. Hope that helps! :smile:
    Ditto; the Strength Training portion of your Exercise page is to help you keep track of how many sets/reps/weights you do for each exercise. To track how many calories burned log it under the Cardio section as Strength Training.
  • sharonsylvester
    sharonsylvester Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Ditto; the Strength Training portion of your Exercise page is to help you keep track of how many sets/reps/weights you do for each exercise. To track how many calories burned log it under the Cardio section as Strength Training.
    [/quote

Thank you
  • glennbarker
    Options
    UPDATE! I figured it out. Click on cardiovascular then search strength training. Add the minutes performed and it will give you the calories credit. :happy:

Since the app does not give you credit for calories burned from weight lifting this is what I do. If you weight 150lbs, 1hour of lifting weights will burn about 200 calories. If you weight 200 lbs, 1 hour will burn about 275 calories. So just add running for 10 minutes @ 10mph in place of the weight lifting. This will give you the appropriate credit for weight lifting. You can still include the weight lifting just to keep track if you'd like.

A couple things to remember:
    Lifting weights obviously burns calories but it also adds muscle. It is very difficult to calculate the calories burned during weight lifting. Building muscle will help burn calories and fat all day. Muscle weights more than fat. So weight lifting will most likely make you gain a little weight. This is the main reason why people should avoid focusing on their weight. Focus more on how you look and feel. Good Luck!