Over wheight children???

Options

Replies

• Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I have a son who is definately heavy for his age. He will be 13 in July. One thing that he loves is smoothies. I buy strawberries and bannanas or other fruit and freeze them then we make smoothies. He feels like he is getting a big treat. Another thing I have found is he really likes shrimp. He likes to snack on it instead of other things.

Another idea is a juicer perhaps and fresh fruits and vegies.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    It would seem, by your posts, that you limit sugars and carbs but you don't limit portions. I think you have to consistenly portion out his food. My uncle has a disorder as well and he LOVES to eat. So, you have to really monitor him. So, my guess is your son is the same so portion size is key. Also, types and varieties.. the other thing.. play with him. Find a sport he does like... there is something try mini-putt whatever.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    SPORTS! At 12 he still has all of middle school and high school to go, so get him involved with sports. My favorites were track and soccer. He'll make friends, get great exercise, learn teamwork, and most likely have a better state of mind thanks to the regular exercise.
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Let me add, My son is autistic and has alot of sensory disorders, on of which includes things he puts in his mouth. I have to trick him into eating fruits, He will eat some veggies but not enough of them. It is also hard to find things he is interrested in doing he has large motor skill problems, He is very clumbsy. other than that he is a very smart boy.

my son is aspergers and he is a little over weight and he is 8 years old,, lately with the swimming and riding his bike,, i hope he loses,,
    i also quit buying all the carb foods he likes and replaced it with the healthier ones..
    20033.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i sometimes dont get this quote thing,, ill get it soon :))
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    You are the mom, you control what is available in the house. You need to clean out your pantry and fridge and put healthy fresh food in it's place.

Set a time for video games and TV, in my house they get one hour then they have to ride bikes, play hackeysack, basketball etc for an hour. I also plan a few hours a week at the local water parks (we have season passes so it makes it free at this point).

At 12 he is old enough to go to the gym and workout with you. My 13 year old goes to Body PUmp and she likes the elliptical and stair master. She has no choice to stay home when it is time to go to the gym.

You have to set the rules and standards or let him keep going on the same path that got you here, no offense, because I am here too. The help you give him now can change his life forever, this is a critical age to really teach kids what healthy is with out criticizing them for how they are now, because in all honesty kids only learn from their parents!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Lead by example.

I have watched myself grow frumpy and my son who is 10...I finally REALLY have put the stop on many things. After seven years of playing baseball, this last season he was acting like a slow poke, didn't want to be there, and started complaining about being tired. He's not overweight, he just wanted to be lazy!!!

In more words than this...I basically told him he needed to give baseball his all, and get moving or he'd be passed up for positions and miss out on the fun. I then told him I'd work to get healthy and into shape and loose 30 pounds by the end of the year, if he promised to get moving like he knows how with his sports again! He agreed! I started getting him moving by playing ball myself and running against the kids during practice. I was playing catch, and even let my son show me how to be a catcher and I worked on my pitching! It was great!

So I do all sorts of sports and games with the kids, even more than I use to. Kids are like a free gym membership! I had a hard time keeping up for a while, but it is so much easier now! My son thinks I'm a dork sometimes, but I just change up activities to get him into them if needed. We play in the dark tag, bubble slip and slide, when we go for walks...I have the kids pick their transportation. We ripstick, we go running, swimming, running the beach, we go to the batting cage, driving range. Anything to keep moving each day!

We also don't own an X-box, Playstation or any of those. (gasp!) We have a Wii and only the games where you have to stand and move. LOL My son has a DS, my daughter has a Gameboy. But that's it.

I also have a rule when I buy toys now...They have to be something to use outside. That way they are moving more. My son's last "toy" was a Nerf gun...He had such logic with it, saying he'll have to run and grab the Nerf pieces to reload. WOW! Hokay! My daughter wanted a jump rope.

I have to get creative an I use my kids for their energy. I was doing down a water slide, climbing up, and running around yesterday to keep moving. It was a blast. My kids will always remember how much time I spent with them...and I'm getting healthy and loosing weight too!

Anyway...I hope something here helps. Good luck with this new adventure!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Ooohh...that's right! I saw someone else say this...

I totally control the food we are eating. I ask my kids if they had a veggie or fruit at school, and I don't cook a meal without them. Thankfully my kids love salad, how easy is that? I limit the junk I bring into the house. For special treats, we get into the car and go get them.

It is harder since your child is older, but be a dork and do what you want. He'll get it soon!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    Let me add, My son is autistic and has alot of sensory disorders, on of which includes things he puts in his mouth. I have to trick him into eating fruits, He will eat some veggies but not enough of them. It is also hard to find things he is interested in doing he has large motor skill problems, He is very clumsy. other than that he is a very smart boy.

I have three daughters two grown who are about a size 3-4 each and a 10 year old that the doctor says needs to gain weight. so over weightness doesn't necessarily runs in the family.

first...hello!!! and second I also have a child who I have to sneak fruits and veggies into and he too is on the spectrum....so I totally feel your pain!:wink: My son is extremely active (sometimes too much) so he's very lean and fit, but I have other concerns about the fruits and veggies since weight is not a real issue for him...its pretty scary and you will hear..or at least I hear how...Oh so and so only ate P&B sandwiches and they're okay...or my son never had a veggie in his life and he's fine.....

some reason that doesn't make me feel better so I blend veggies and fruits into things he'll eat, rice dishes and pasta dishes...gotta do what you can right! lol

As for the overeating part...I'm trying to think of some food options for his favs that you could switch over time...like does he eat peanut butter...its really yummy on apples and celery...but getting him to eat it is another story....

I know you said he was a bit clumsy, does he have O/T? that can sometimes help w/ motor skills, and even help them do activities...we found a gym class near us that catered to children like our boys....all levels and no stress for them or us....have you tried bike riding yet...my son is just starting to really dig it...but hates the helmet part...welcome to autism right?! lol

well anyway I wish you luck and I'll try to think of more things too!!!
    hugs!
    Ali :flowerforyou:
  • ali106
    Options
    You are the mom, you control what is available in the house. You need to clean out your pantry and fridge and put healthy fresh food in it's place.

Set a time for video games and TV, in my house they get one hour then they have to ride bikes, play hackeysack, basketball etc for an hour. I also plan a few hours a week at the local water parks (we have season passes so it makes it free at this point).

At 12 he is old enough to go to the gym and workout with you. My 13 year old goes to Body PUmp and she likes the elliptical and stair master. She has no choice to stay home when it is time to go to the gym.

You have to set the rules and standards or let him keep going on the same path that got you here, no offense, because I am here too. The help you give him now can change his life forever, this is a critical age to really teach kids what healthy is with out criticizing them for how they are now, because in all honesty kids only learn from their parents!

I think that's totally true but when you throw autism in the mix it really becomes a whole other ball game beleive me LOL....but structure and rules are key so I totally know what you mean and also think you're doing a great job!

hugs!
    Ali
  • cwjett
    cwjett Posts: 189 Member
    Options

I think that's totally true but when you throw autism in the mix it really becomes a whole other ball game beleive me LOL....but structure and rules are key so I totally know what you mean and also think you're doing a great job!

hugs!
    Ali

At my gym the kids are not allowed to go into the gym until they are 14. So I am not able to bring my 12 year old to the gym with me.
    I do control what is in my house and i don't have ANY junk food!
    I am not over weight and his father is not over weight, he plays soccer year round and swims every day during the summer and he is still over weight, so it makes me wonder if there is some underlying medical problem.
  • ali106
    Options

hugs!
    Ali

At my gym the kids are not allowed to go into the gym until they are 14. So I am not able to bring my 12 year old to the gym with me.
    I am not over weight and his father is not over weight, he plays soccer year round and swims every day during the summer and he is still over weight, so it makes me wonder if there is some underlying medical problem.

hey cw...if it were me I'd take him in to get checked....my son can't always tell me when something bothers him...and sometimes even kids who can tell you don't know....get that checked and you'll feel better either way knowing and moving on either way! best of luck!!!

And I don't think any of us could or should try tell people what or how to do things...because every child and family is different....but we can advice on what works for us and take it for what its worth...if things sound like they might work try it...if not don't....you know your children and their issues best!:heart: I know you'll get there! best of luck!!!

big hugs to us all!!!
    Ali
  • cwjett
    cwjett Posts: 189 Member
    Options

hugs!
    Ali

hey cw...if it were me I'd take him in to get checked....my son can't always tell me when something bothers him...and sometimes even kids who can tell you don't know....get that checked and you'll feel better either way knowing and moving on either way! best of luck!!!

And I don't think any of us could or should try tell people what or how to do things...because every child and family is different....but we can advice on what works for us and take it for what its worth...if things sound like they might work try it...if not don't....you know your children and their issues best!:heart: I know you'll get there! best of luck!!!

big hugs to us all!!!
    Ali

Thanks Ail, I am actually bringing him this summer to get a check up, i'm wondering about his thyroid since he is always sluggish and doesn't have a whole lot of energy or motivation.
    he was even put on Adderral at one time for ADD and he didn't lose a pound! The doctor was shocked along with myself since most people lose a good bit of weight while taking that.

But we have done what his doctor has suggested, more fruits and veggies, less junk, no more than one time a week having fast food (we do less than that) So, there is still no change so I think its time to try something else!
    I really wish my gym would lower their age limit for kids to work out, but we got the wii fit this weekend and he is excited about it!! :happy:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I quit buying Little Debbies. Both my kids would eat like 4 a day. They would be hungry and grab that. Now instead they grab things with less sugar like triscuits, apples, granola bars, etc. I have not bought a Little Debbie in three months and they have not even asked for them.

We take family walks and call it walking the dog. My hubby and I are cyclists and my ten year old has asked for a good bike for his birthday so he can start riding with us. Get a Wii. If they are stuck on video games then at least they are moving while playing them!!
  • mypal1
    mypal1 Posts: 21
    Options
    In the last couple of weeks I have watched his portions more, and make him eat more lean meats. At my gym if he takes a class they are small group 4 kids and they talk about nutrition learn about safety start the kids on cardio machines and them start them on a strength training program the class is 5 weeks and 2 days a week,
    after that he can go to the gym with me. the next class is in mid-july and he will be in it.
    He has been swimming everyday when I go to the Y he goes swimming with his sister.

Hopefully I can get this under control before he hits the big growth spurt, so he can grow up with it also. :happy:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    It would seem, by your posts, that you limit sugars and carbs but you don't limit portions. I think you have to consistenly portion out his food. My uncle has a disorder as well and he LOVES to eat. So, you have to really monitor him. So, my guess is your son is the same so portion size is key. Also, types and varieties.. the other thing.. play with him. Find a sport he does like... there is something try mini-putt whatever.

Portions are a huge thing to learn, no matter what age or learning disability a child has. I never learned portions. And I also was allowed to get seconds and thirds (or we had the food right there and everyone would just keep picking out things to munch).

I still struggel with protions!

Support groups are a great way to help. Look at us!! :happy: If you can find a group in your area for autism, undoubtedly you will find someone that has walked a mile in your shoes and can help.

Best of luck darling!!
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    In the last couple of weeks I have watched his portions more, and make him eat more lean meats. At my gym if he takes a class they are small group 4 kids and they talk about nutrition learn about safety start the kids on cardio machines and them start them on a strength training program the class is 5 weeks and 2 days a week,
    after that he can go to the gym with me. the next class is in mid-july and he will be in it.
    He has been swimming everyday when I go to the Y he goes swimming with his sister.

Hopefully I can get this under control before he hits the big growth spurt, so he can grow up with it also. :happy:

Another thing I noticed growing up, the boys were always a little heavy and short until sophmore year and then *BAM* they were tall and lanky......

And I got into a lot of trouble after that :wink:

But your concern and love for your son and your willingness to help him discover a healthy life is a HUGE step in the right direction. My father would just point out how big I was compared to my girlfriends.If he would have taken a moment and said, 'Hey, lets learn a sport' or something, I may not have the weight issues I do now.

:flowerforyou: You are a terrific parent!
  • mypal1
    Options
    we seen Kung Fu Panda last night, and my son compared himself to Po. so maybe I can convince him to take Karate, he's been fighting it, but I'm trying.
  • bayaderka
    bayaderka Posts: 53
    Options
    Speak with a nutritionist and/or doctor.

Absolutely throw-out all junky foods.

Have the entire family switch to a healthier diet and lifestyle, so your child doesn't feel isolated.

Have the entire family boycott TV and computer/electronics.

If all changes are a group effort, your child will feel more keen on making this shift.
  • mypal1
    Options
    I have made lifestyle changes in our whole family, I really never kept junk in the house, but I have been fixing more fat free meals, brown rice instead of white, wheat bread instead of white, Fresh veggieis and fruit instead of canned, no sugary cereals, chicken and fish instead of beef.

They are fighting me on it but I have already lost 8 pounds because of the change, in the last 3 weeks. I think my son may even feel better. I notice a difference just in his behavior not having the sugar he was eating.