Breaking Out because of Gym.

Options
I have been breaking out badly since I started exercising at the gym, I've kind of tested it enough to the point to where its the only explanation I can think of. I have never broken out this badly and am 20 years old. I have changed nothing on my diet and am not stressed at all. I took a week off from the gym for spring break and my face started clearing immediately. I started up again this Monday, its Tuesday now and am breaking out again on my cheeks. I wash my face immediately after I do my cardio and again after I do my weight lifting. Is there any way to stop these horrible pimples? Its really making me upset because now I'm losing weight to "look prettier and better" and now I have all these pimples on my cheeks! These pimples are a little different though than normal pimples that I get. They are the ones that are very red and bumpy but have no white head. If it does pop, the pimple has a lot of pus and is one of those that say "leaks". Please help! I've tried benzyl peroxide, witchhazel, and just normal soap and nothing seems to work how it usually did in the past whenever I had little breakouts.
(I guess the title could also be called breaking out because of exercise?" >.<

Replies

• kaikea
    kaikea Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had/have this too. It could be a change in hormones or it could be the increased sweating - if you havent sweated much before this - causing impurties or "toxins" to be released through your sweat. It could be hair product perhaps releasing and getting into your pores too. Thats my guess at least.
  • kaikea
    kaikea Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It may go away after a couple weeks. I think it did for me or at least it has done that in the past.
  • mikegl1
    mikegl1 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Serious comment: Wash more, sooner. Also you might want to try one of the heavily advertised products for acne, one of the most advertised ones works.
  • julialla
    julialla Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I would probably stick to washing your face only 1x after working, twice might be drying your skin out too much. And I agree, hormones have a lot to do with it. If you've just started a new exercise routine, you're body's probably in shock. When you took a week off, your body relaxed. So give it time to adjust to the increased activity...Good Luck!
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Wash the areas better , and exfoliate also
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Um... this has nothing to do with the gym.

It sounds like you allergic to your sweat.

Wash immediately after exercise.
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Washing once when your finished should be sufficient, but then it's *really* important to moisturize, too. Washing more leads to dry skin and so your body will increase oil production, leading to more breakouts. Pick a good skincare line and stick with it - Clinique, ProActive and Mary Kay are the ones that have worked for me for my moderately serious acne issues.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Have you started taking any new supplements lately? I broke out so badly the first six months I was working out that I looked like I had a disease. Never had acne problems before, and i was 39 years old at the time. I was trying to rule things out, changed up my skin care routine...nothing worked. When I stopped taking all of my supplements, the acne cleared. I slowly added a few essential supplements back in and have had no problems since. Just something to consider.
  • CCusedtodance
    CCusedtodance Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My husband has been working out for about six months and he was breaking out badly on his back/rear end area. The doctor told him was it possibly bacterial and to buy Proactive or a similar product; however I found a copycat of Proactive at Walgreens called AcneFree Sensitive Skin (it is in the acne treatment/lotion section). It wasn't real cheap, but he followed the steps to using it and his acne is gone. I use the spot treatment that came in the kit once in a while and it always cuts the recovery time from a pimple to almost overnight.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I have tried a few of the cheaper products like st Ives and clean and clear and they didn't seem to help much, maybe it's time to invest in something a bit more expensive. As for the supplements, I am not taking any atm because I always forget to take them in the morning lol I really hope something like proactiv will clear this up, and if not i hope it's like others say that maybe my hormones have been changing and will get back to normal soon. >_< thanks for the help
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    wash promptly & use alcohol free toner/alcohol free witch hazel.... then dry thoroughly & use oil free moisturizer

problem solved
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I am 35. Never broke out even in my teens. Always had clear skin until last year when I started eating cleaner and working out harder. Part of it is the sweat. But it is also general improved functioning of your body; improved metabolism means better flushing out of toxins. Some of those toxins are ejected via sweat through your skin.

Cleaning your face regularly is important. I use Cosmedix RX grade products. They are super expensive but you use only a little at a time. Very effective.
  • amylite
    amylite Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think its more irritation and bacteria than pimples. I was getting the same thing under my arms, until I realized that I needed to change out of my workout bra/top sooner when I got home. Clean, dry and moisteurized, should take care of itself shortly :-)
  • Bailey532
    Bailey532 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing and ended up going to a dermatologist. They said to get cetaphil. Did it and it worked like magic.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I am almost 31 and continue to have problems with acne, especially when I am working out. I finally broke down and had my doctor prescribe me Retin-A and it has been tremendously helpful.

However, time consuming as it was, I got better results from home treatments than from any commercially prepared/available non prescription products. I made masks/scrubs from crushed aspirin and that was rather helpful.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    When I first started going to gym, I had this happen to me, and I'm a lot older than you so it was a bit disconcerting. During a routine check-up, my doctor prescribed medicine which when applied, burned the hell out of my face. It was probably that fear of having to use that medicine again which caused my face to clear up. If a doctors visit is not in order, all I can tell you is to not touch anything at the gym and then touch your face without washing your hands first. Also, if they have a disinfectant type of spray to wipe down the machines with, use it beforehand.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i second what someone else said, MOISTURIZE!! after every wash. it seems counterproductive, but my acne got a lot better, less flaky and less scarring when i moisturized after washing. and now i can feel my skin tightness if i dont, which i didnt notice before i start moisturizing.

also you have cystic acne it sounds like. i get those when my hormones get out of whack. they like to hang out, for a couple weeks. those jerks.
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Take off all your makeup before going gym, then wash your face with clean water to make sure you have no chemical's from the remover on your skin, and then after youre done working out wash your face with water. This should clear it up. Overwashing can be even worse if you dry out your skin too much