3/4/5 day split - strength training

Options
I've been doing a 5day spilt since i started working, but I'm considering switching to a 3 or 4 day spilt... Any input? Which do you prefer, and why?

Replies

• kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Generally do
    Day 1 - Bicep, Back, Core
    Day 2 - tricep, shoulder, chest
    Day 3 - Lower, Core
    Repeat...

At some point during the week, I take a rest day (schedule does not allow a natural break at a consistent interval)...

Sometimes, I'll mix it up a little bit but the above is my general routine.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I was doing a 5 day routine called PHAT (Power, Hypertrophy Adaptive Training) The split is like this
    Day 1 upper power
    Day 2 lower power
    Day 3 rest
    Day 4 Back/Shoulders hypertrophy
    Day 5 Lower hypertrophy
    Day 6 Chest/Arms hypertrophy
    Day 7 Rest.

Now I am going to switch to an upper/lower split and lower the volume
    Day 1 upper power 4 sets of 5 for bench, supported rows and overhead press (2-3 min rest between sets)
    Day 2 lower power 4 sets of 5 for Squats, Romain or SLDL and Seated Calf Raises
    Day 3 rest
    Day 4 Upper hypertrophy (pick 2 exercises for chest, back and shoulders do 3 sets of 8-10, 1 exercise for tris, bis and traps)
    Day 5 Lower hyper (legpress or front squats 3x8-12, lunges 3x8-12, lying leg curls 3x8-12
    , standing calf raises 3x8-12)

I noticed I get better results when I train each body part directly or indirectly twice per week.
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    Have you considered 1 day split ? lol
    I do full body routine 3 times a week, and calisthenics and cardio on inbetween days.
    I'm recovering fine and therefore its good musclebuilding 'uptime'.
  • _mrsgigi_
    _mrsgigi_ Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Have you considered 1 day split ? lol
    I do full body routine 3 times a week, and calisthenics and cardio on inbetween days.
    I'm recovering fine and therefore its good musclebuilding 'uptime'.

i'm recovering from a surgery, and so this week was my 1st day back in the gym. im extremely sore after taking 7 weeks off, so im thinking about lifting less days, but nothing too hard, so i dont over do it until i can get back into my normal routine.
  • DostThouEven
    Options
    I prefer training with a frequency that matches my training level because that lends itself to the fastest results.