5' ladies what's your daily caloric intake?

Options

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Please please don't listen to the people who eat under 1200 - I know at least one of them has an ED and should not be giving any advice based on her eating habits.

QFT - she's also clearly done metabolic damage to herself, and is HANGRY.

OP - I'm 5'2", 41 years old, 153 lbs, and I'm losing 1 lb per week by averaging 1600 calories per day (1300 plus my exercise calories).

Don't jump down to 1200 right off the bat - most people never need to drop that low to lose, even us short, older gals. If you go that low at the start, you have very little wiggle room when you plateau later (and most people who start off that low, WILL plateau at some point)
  • StusPrincess08
    StusPrincess08 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hello I am 5'2 and my cals are set to 1200 but I try to stay under that

Why in the world are you eating less than 1200?!?!?

That is with my calories burned included, It has been working for me?
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I'm 4ft 11 - lost the first 26lb eating 1600 calories per day.

Then went back to work and am now sat at a desk all day, so more sedentary, and am now eating 1450 a day, which my Fitbit tells me is a 250 calorie defict.
  • kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options
    Was at 1200 calories a day and lost 16lbs. Felt miserable and was moody the entire time. Sadly most of the weight lost was muscle not fat...after losing 16lbs my body fat was 25%...at the beginning it was 26.5%. I failed there. I eat now anywhere between 1500 to 2000 calories a day and don't really count exercise calories. I use the TDEE method. I've been doing this for a while and generally feel better and have more energy for workouts and am able to push harder through them. I have lost 2% body fat in a month...although my weight hasn't changed I look and feel a lot better.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

Yes, some people lose at 1200 - but why do that if you don't have too :flowerforyou:
    Why should they lose according to *your* schedule? Some people do better when they see results.

I'm sorry what? :huh:

I didn't give a "schedule" I said some people lose on 1200 and are you implying I haven't seen any results?

You gave your opinion and I gave mine - no need to attack me for it. :noway: I'm sure the op can make up her own mind.

You implied there was something wrong with it. Obviously, it is some people's preference.
  • butlera8
    butlera8 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    5'1 current weight is 139 with a goal of 125-130. I eat 1510 calories a day. I loss the first 20lbs or so on 1200 calories.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Eating more doesn't always work for everyone. I tried it and only ended up gaining so I'm going back down from 1600 to 1300. At 1300 is where I lost most of my weight. I'm 5'3"

I am the same way. One thing some people don't understand is that the assumptions behind the calculators may not apply to you. The only way to get a reliable metabolic rate is to be tested in a lab.

I don't have a problem with people trying to to use the guidelines, but after using them for several weeks without success they're often advised to eat MORE, which is nuts.

I am the same. Tried it and gained. I mean if you think about it. I got overweight eating more than I should...why would it help me lose? Lol
  • fireant777
    Options
    I dont think you guys are really reading what was said...

You may feel like its whats working for you, but have you looked at how much fat and how much muscle you actually have? like one lady said, your body simply cannot GROW and build muscle OR burn fat on 1200 calories a day. and depending on if any of you wrkout, you could be eating as little as 500 calories after your burn..

Its just insane!! if you ladies were to readjust your calories and slowly start adding until you find where you body is maintaining then you'll be good. Right now you may feel like you are maintaining, or you are trying to lose, but all your losing is muscle. Sorry to say it but its true. your body needs calories, and 1200 OR less is just not enough, for ANYONE!

A 5 YEAR OLD KID NEEDS 1200 calories a day. our body's are a lot bigger, we have more muscle more dense bones, our bodies needs food!

sorry if this sounds mean and angry LOL

Just wish that more women would fuel there bodies and not be afraid to eat! your body is capable of handling a lot more than you think!
    Good luck ladies!
  • michelleokelly5
    michelleokelly5 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    5'4"
    220 lbs
    1600-800 calories a day + at least half of my exercise calories
    I lose about 2 lbs a week.

I had the same results eating only 1200 calories a day. Then I educated myself on why eating more would yield better results. Im so glad I can eat a ton and lose weight. It makes this losing weight thing sustainable for me. A true lifestyle that I can follow.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11". My goal is 107, and I'm eating around 1400 a day. I don't have a regular exercise routine (not yet...gotta work on that), but I've been losing about a pound every 10 days. I bump up my calories (only healthy, minimally processed foods for the extra calories) when I'm more active or feeling extra hungry. Some days I don't meet the 1400 so I try to make up for it the next day. I don't like going lower than 1200.
  • jolenebaglow
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and 206.2lbs and I am new to calorie counting. My calorie count is 1200 too. I had a hard job at first keeping to that but the last 2 weeks I have kept to my calorie goal and lost 3lb. I am exercising too. I spend 2 days a week for an hour at the gym and do sit ups every day to flatten my tummy and am finding it easier to exercise and my energy level has improved. I think a healthy balance of calories and exercising is the way forward :O)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    HI

I'm 5'2 (stood really really tall :laugh:)

I'm eating around 1600 a day - sometimes a little more if I've had a very active day sometimes a little less if I've been a slug on the couch all day.

I'm doing new rules of lifting for women to try and help keep my LBM. I'm not looking at the scales so much - but I am keeping measurements and taking photos :noway: :laugh:

Please please don't listen to the people who eat under 1200 - I know at least one of them has an ED and should not be giving any advice based on her eating habits.

I second reading http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

and also looking in this group http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Yes, some people lose at 1200 - but why do that if you don't have too :flowerforyou:

^This. And I am 5'1
    SW: 245
    CW: 178
    Goal: 19-21% body fat

Currently I eat around 1500-1600+ exercise calories back.
  • chunkadoo
    chunkadoo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    MFP gives me 1200, I normally eat 1600-2000+ (I eat exercise calories back!)
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options

QFT - she's also clearly done metabolic damage to herself, and is HANGRY.

OP - I'm 5'2", 41 years old, 153 lbs, and I'm losing 1 lb per week by averaging 1600 calories per day (1300 plus my exercise calories).

Don't jump down to 1200 right off the bat - most people never need to drop that low to lose, even us short, older gals. If you go that low at the start, you have very little wiggle room when you plateau later (and most people who start off that low, WILL plateau at some point)

This ^^ is good advice, I'm upping from 1200 to 1300 today, (plus exercise calories), to give myself some 'wiggle' room further down the line, as I still have about 35-40lbs to go. :)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    5'1"

currently losing on 1850 cals/day
  • SlinkyAndHerAmazingBunsOfSteel
    Options
    5ft2
    SW:191
    CW:143.8
    GW:130
    My bmr is 1550 (I had it tested at the gym) , so I eat about that and burn off 400 (sometimes more, sometimes less) a day.
    I've lost 47.2lbs and it has taken me about 20 months. Slow, but at least this way I'll keep it off! :wink:
    EDIT* I forgot to mention that in the beginning, for the first 6 months, I tried to stay at 1200 cals a day. That worked for a while, but then I'd get so hungry I would eat everything in sight and RUIN my progress. I would probably be at my goal of 130lbs by now if I had just eaten a bit more at the start! :smile:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    EDIT* I forgot to mention that in the beginning, for the first 6 months, I tried to stay at 1200 cals a day. That worked for a while, but then I'd get so hungry I would eat everything in sight and RUIN my progress. I would probably be at my goal of 130lbs by now if I had just eaten a bit more at the start! :smile:

^^^^ this.... so important, I wish more people would take heed of this.... the tortoise and hare story really applies when it comes to losing fat. Slow, steady, healthy and sustainable wins.
  • lellagella
    lellagella Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am 5"1 and I eat at 1610 net
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    5'1" HW 160 CW 131 GW 115

I have been eating around 1700 in the past, without eating back exercise cals. Lowered to 1600 for a little while.

Now I've lowered to 1350. Which is making me very, very moody. Will probably go back up.

I lost most of my weight eating between 1500-1800 calories a day.
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    5'0"
    37 y.o.

HW 150
    CW 127'
    GW 120 or 20% BF

My base calorie intake is set at 1350, and I add around 200-500 calories a day from exercise and EAT all of them back.

So I end up eating between 1500-1800

I try to net around 1350 / day

Healthy deficit, never hungry, and still losing weight!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!