calling all emotional eaters

Options
I have had probably the easiest time ever adjusting to eating and exercising the MFP way. It's my most stressful time of year at work and I'm having a crazy mother issue this week (and yes I know you are supposed to respect your elders but dang I wonder if I was adopted sometimes). I have just wanted to go eat a HUGE hot fudge sundae all because of something my mother said to me yesterday. What do you do to cope with emotional eating???

Replies

• Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I struggle with it many times a week, typically when I am home alone, late at night. I will try to drink tea, water, lift weights, read, go to bed; but truthfully there are times that I cave and eat something detrimental to my efforts. Then I post it as I want to be truthful about what I am doing to/for myself. Hope someone has an answer that works for you, but please know you are not alone! And I don't necessarily think it is a war that is won, just many battles and you win some and you lose some. Obviously it is a mental game and if you can find a way to use what your mother says to motivate you to exercise (burn off the stress!!!!) rather than eat, I believe that will be key for you.
  • sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You really need to address any issues that cause you emotional stress or make you want to binge. Dealing with these things will help you overcome them and stay on track. Fix what you can and let the rest go.
  • dgirish33
    dgirish33 Posts: 9
    Options
    I hear ya! Being committed to tracking everything I eat on MFP has really helped me with my emotional eating. I have started hating to mark down something that is not so good for me. And since the weather is nice I have found myself going outside to work in my veg garden to get my mind off wanting to eat. Stay busy and hang in there!
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    As others have said, deal with the issue that is bothering. It is good that you recognize that it is that particular situation that is causing you to want to eat and not that you are actually physically hungry. You need to realize that eating is not going to make the situation any better. Instead, eating will only make you more miserable because you will have regretted eating the hot fudge sundae. Plus, would you really even taste it? Most people, including me who are emotional eaters, will eat without even tasting what they are eating. It is mindless eating that ends up packing on the pounds.

You need to find another outlet for your stress. Maybe exercising, or shopping or talking to a friend. Once you get into the habit of not eating due to an emotion, it gets easier. It never goes away and I struggle with it from time to time, but at least I am able to recognize my emotional eating before it gets out of control.

Sadly, I have switched from my food addiction and emotional eating to shopping and spending way too much money. I need to find a happy medium or maybe something more addictive with better benefits like different types of exercise.
  • Katherine1687
    Katherine1687 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am also an emotional eater.......most of my weight was put on in the 14 months my husband was out of work!!!

I also eat when I am tired and that is a nightmare. I am looking forward to reading the replies to your post and hope it helps me as well.

You are not alone. Loads of us struggle with this one!!
  • emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    You really need to tell you mom straight up, "you stress me out when....." she may not realize what she is saying or doing. The eating never solved anything, it only makes you more stressed when you step on the scale. Keep busy, get outside and walk in the fresh air. If your craving chocolate have a sugar free pudding, or a cliff bar. Salt have a100 calorie bag of popcorn. There is alot of low calorie options. Drink lots of water, very filling. If you need something in your hand, read a good book and chew some sugar free gum. This is about you, for you and your goals in life. Dont let the obsticles get you down or in your way!!!!
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys and I know this is something I need to deal with but gosh I hate confrontation. She just has some issues she needs to take care of and until she admits that she has problems nothing anyone says or does is going to make her want to change.
  • khartman353
    Options
    a few hours ago i actually ate about a third of a big bag of swedish fish all because i was frustrated with my job search and my family! i've always been an emotional eater...i was teased and bullied all through grade school and i would come home and just eat and eat and eat. I gained a hugeee amount of weight then. emotional eatng is a hard habit to break! i try to do things that will allow me to deal directly with my emotions. if i have a conflict with someone, i'll talk to them about whats going on. if i'm upset, i'll go to my room and just cry. i write in a journal. like i said, its a hard habit to break, and sometime we slip up. if you do, its ok! dont beat yourself up over it. own up to it, track it in your food diary, and move on! good luck!!