Coconut Oil uses

Options
A friend of mine gave me a jar of coconut oil. Any recomendations on what to do with it besides skin care?

Replies

• demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Use it as cooking oil. It has a ton of health benefits. There are a lot of other uses but I can't think of too many off hand. Try doing a forum search for it.
  • jumpingsparrow
    Options
    I use it to make whole wheat tortillas. Gives it a little sweetness. I use this recipe (melt the coconut oil). http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2010/05/26/recipe-whole-wheat-tortillas/
  • Firekeeper66
    Firekeeper66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Here is an awesome link that was sent to me, 333 uses for coconut oil:

http://www.hybridrastamama.com/2012/08/333-Uses-For-Coconut-Oil.html?m=1
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I just LOVE what it does for my skin. I also lather some on my old, dry hair (HA) at night for about 30 minutes with my head wrapped in a steamy towel, rinse, and the next morning my hair is so soft and shiny!!!
  • makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    bump
  • doitforabby
    doitforabby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I use it when I make popcorn - BEST popcorn you will ever have! I also use it to saute veggies. Yum!
  • CCusedtodance
    CCusedtodance Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I just LOVE what it does for my skin. I also lather some on my old, dry hair (HA) at night for about 30 minutes with my head wrapped in a steamy towel, rinse, and the next morning my hair is so soft and shiny!!!

^^^^This---I started using coconut oil on my over processed and dried out hair about six months ago. Just the other day a coworker told me that my hair has been looking great lately and asked what I had done about it.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    My family is from Trinidad & Tobago. As an indo-trinidadian family, coconut oil *was* something used in daily cooking but ever since the 70's or so, we stopped using it in our household.

I was just a kid but I remember the change over and discussions that took place. I tried to ask my dad recently about it as I had started to use it in curries and other things but he just mumbled something about the transfats, solid at room temp, artery clogging etc. I couldn't get him to understand or discuss the possibility that the hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated thing is more the issue these days. Shrug. :ohwell: He's kind of old timey :laugh: He was kind of horrified when I told him I'd been using it for cooking. I dunno. :laugh:

I use unrefined coconut oil in curries, pelau, dosti roti etc. I found this article that I thought might help as it talks about cooking and baking with it. I'll be honest, I call snake oil on all the health benefits :ohwell: The list seems a little out there for me.:huh:

I have wavy hair and in order to increase the hydration of my hair, I have used coconut oil in the past. I get pimples around my forehead, and hairline from it though. I don't use it this way anymore.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/dining/02Appe.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0