What do YOU have on your porridge/oatmeal?

Options
jessmaus
jessmaus Posts: 28 Member
I just finished my breakfast, for which I had (as usual) porridge. I LOVE the stuff. Today I tried something new, having grated apple, cinnamon and honey. Normally I stick to just a teaspoon of 29p jam because I'm a student and I'm poor, but today's version was almost as cheap and so tasty!
Anyone got any recommendations for delicious porridge/oatmeal? (Porridge and oatmeal are the same thing, right? Oatmeal is just the American name?)

Replies

• pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm scottish, so I consider the only true way to eat porridge is with cold milk and salt. ;)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    oatmeal w/ flax, 100g blueberries, 2 tbsp fat free vanilla yogurt. Yum!
  • ingies2011
    ingies2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I don't particularly like porridge, but i make a bircher style muesli with my oats, I also add some pumpkin, chia, linseed and sunflower seeds soaked overnight in natural yoghurt, and i also add vanilla protein powder and berries, yum
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'm going out for a big meal tonight so I'm restricting my calories a bit today. I substituted my milk in my porridge for water and to give it enough sweetness I added blackberries and blueberries. I cooked the porridge a bit in the microwave then added the fruit and cooked that all in the microwave. The fruit sort of broke down and the porridge was delicious! Definitely doing this more often!
  • misskate1987
    Options
    With honey! Or a combination of raw sugar and cinnamon.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my oats! I usually make it with half water/half skim milk, and a tablespoon of REAL maple syrup. My cat seems to like it too as he is constantly trying to stick his head in the bowl to eat it before I'm done!
  • Green_eyed_beauty
    Green_eyed_beauty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Old style / steal cut oats with dried cherries and almonds!! Yum!
  • xomellyxo
    xomellyxo Posts: 32
    Options
    I have it with sweetener and almond milk, sounds boring but its really tasty!x
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Organic oats (50 grams) plus skimmed milk, teaspoon of sugar and a third of a can of evaporated milk.
    About 290 calories.
  • 1jobean
    1jobean Posts: 84
    Options
    Add blueberries strawberries, and walnuts, very tasty.
  • HunterKiller_wechange2
    Options
    Runny Honey :)

33141513.png[/url]
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    chopped nuts (mixture of brazil, almond, hazelnut & walnuts) and chocolate drops!
  • auntiejack
    auntiejack Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    banana & berries
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Half a spoon of Tesco Everyday Value Honey for me.

I'm not sure I'm making my porridge right - I boil water, pour over the oats and honey until it is covered, stir and leave for a few minutes. I do like the taste and texture, though. I say I'm not sure I'm doing it right because I hear that you're supposed to microwave it... which leads me to think the microwave must have been invented by a Scottish person in the 15th Century.
  • annascrapper
    annascrapper Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Always 1 TBS of some kind of chopped nuts and chopped apple or dried fruit or mini chocolate chips. Yummmm:bigsmile:
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Half a spoon of Tesco Everyday Value Honey for me.

I'm not sure I'm making my porridge right - I boil water, pour over the oats and honey until it is covered, stir and leave for a few minutes. I do like the taste and texture, though. I say I'm not sure I'm doing it right because I hear that you're supposed to microwave it... which leads me to think the microwave must have been invented by a Scottish person in the 15th Century.

I think traditionally you would boil it in a pan until the oats have soaked up all the fluid and it has a creamy texture. I can't stand the stuff made with water though, fair play to you!

I eat mine with cinnamon, or peanut butter and cherry jam, or with a sprinkle of crunchy oats and agave syrup - I love the stuff!
  • thefitfriend
    thefitfriend Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    apple, cinnamon and raisins in it, banana and honey, nuts, any form of dried fruit, i always put in an egg white for protein (you cant taste it) or you can put in the whole egg with a bit of sweetner for an egg custard taste, you can add pureed pumpkin for pumpkin pie oatmeal, grated carrot, cinnamon and raisins for carrot cake, low fat cream cheese and sweetner for cheesecake, you can make a simple fruit compte to put on top, you can bake it for a different texture, there is SO much to do with it
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    A banana and a spoon full of Nutella - the food of the Gods :-)
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Same every day - cooked with skimmed milk with some dark brown sugar on top.

Don't like the taste when just cooked with water and the milk gives me GOODNESS. nom nom want some more now

but a litte salt in at the end instead of sugar on the top is actually really delicious!
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Organic oats (50 grams) plus skimmed milk, teaspoon of sugar and a third of a can of evaporated milk.
    About 290 calories.

Do you pour the evaporated milk on top?

I get 275 calories just from the oats (50g), skimmed milk and a teaspoon of sugar so I must be miscalculating if you can get evaporated milk as well for an extra 15 calories!