What do YOU have on your porridge/oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• ChetThaker
    ChetThaker Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have it with sweetener and almond milk, sounds boring but its really tasty!x

Yes Almond Milk gives it a nicer flavour I find. Add to this Cinnamon and Flax and its very nice indeed.
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    topped with brown sugar and low-fat milk. Just finished mine,yum!
  • Turtle003
    Turtle003 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have my oatmeal with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and blueberries...I add walnuts if I have the craving for crunchy! Its delicious. I make a pan of oatmeal and bake it on Sunday nights and have a breakfast bar throughout the week.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

I think traditionally you would boil it in a pan until the oats have soaked up all the fluid and it has a creamy texture. I can't stand the stuff made with water though, fair play to you!

Ah, I guess the oats become more bloated and softer? Mine's like a thick mushy muesli. Feels like I'm eating something with substance. :o)
  • barblibrarian
    Options
    Fruit and nuts and either honey or maple syrup (or neither some days). Today: blueberries, chopped pecans and a teaspoon of maple syrup.
  • KamFit12
    KamFit12 Posts: 43
    Options
    I've always loved dates and bananas in my porridge. Yum!!!

I really like dates
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    chunky peanut butter and a spoon of heavy cream
  • happylady5254
    happylady5254 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have honey. Just a teaspoon swirled round the top. Don't want to add too many more calories to my breakfast.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I make it with milk, 1 tsp of cinnamon and a spoonful of raisins. Topped with molasses sugar to sweeten.
  • melsy21
    melsy21 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Porridge and oatmeal are the same thing to me here in Canada... I used to pile on the brown sugar mmmmmm but I now have flax and chia seeds and I sprinkle cinnamon mmmm
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    sugar and milk
  • fierceatforty
    fierceatforty Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    half an apple diced, walnut milk, dash of salt, half teaspoon raw honey, sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg....eat it everyday, and the energy keeps me going for hours
  • Ltmsenergy
    Options
    I have different ways to make it too. :) Always seems that oats get boring, but they are so good for you and cheap! :) I do sometimes use a natural brown sugar substitute, called xylitol, with some walnuts and cinnamon. Other days, I use chocolate whey protein powder, but if I make it this way, I boil the oats with unsweetened almond milk, then add a little more when I mix the whey. I also use oats to make protein pancakes. :) I blend in a blender 1/4 c to 1/2 c of oats with 4 egg whites, 1 pkg of crystal light drink mix. After blending, I cook them like pancakes. Sometimes I will add a few frozen blueberries while cooking. I serve it with sugar free syrup. I have other ways to make these pancakes that use coconut flour, or flax, or chia, but this is one of my favorites. :) Hope that helps! :) If you would like to know about these other recipes I have, feel free to message me and I will send them to you. :)
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I love my porridge with just milk and sugar and a slice of bread-that's how I used to eat it when I was a kid. My gramma made it the best!!!

Now I have not mastered her way of making it, so I eat oatmeal and I love my old fashioned oats with cinnamon, banana, raisins, or strawberries and a sugar sweetner(less cals) made with water. Its super delicious and filling til lunchtime!!! :smile:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Organic oats (50 grams) plus skimmed milk, teaspoon of sugar and a third of a can of evaporated milk.
    About 290 calories.

Do you pour the evaporated milk on top?

I get 275 calories just from the oats (50g), skimmed milk and a teaspoon of sugar so I must be miscalculating if you can get evaporated milk as well for an extra 15 calories!

I used to struggle to get the consistency right so I put my bowl on my scales, zero it and then add the oats, sugar, evaporated milk and then add the skimmed milk to get up to the correct weight, microwave for 3 mins and it always comes out just right (as Goldilocks might say....).
    I'm using Sainsburys So Organic, Scottish porridge oats by the way.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    1 pkt of stevia and 1/4 of a banana
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    peanut butter and banana (and sometimes choco chips lol)

peanut butter banana and real maple syrup

any berries or mix of fruit

almost always add cinnamon

pb and jam

bananas and blue berries

it's like dessert for breakfast add any fruit and have at it.
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Always cook mine in 2% milk and add 1 T died fruit and 1 T some kind of nut. I like variety and the change in fruit and nut makes it interesting.. Dates and black walnuts are great.
  • Apyl32
    Apyl32 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I put a tablespoon of Smuckers spreadable fruit on mine. Right now Black Cherry is my fave.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    ChildrenCryinNCoffee Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I love dried cranberries, goji berries and crushed walnuts with a bit of brown sugar. My kids call it Christmas Oatmeal.