Do you eat even when you are not hungry?

Options
2»

Replies

• _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I set my calories and eat them whether I feel hungry or not. If my body was a good indicator of when and what to eat I wouldn't have gotten so fat in the first place.
  • Roxie8611
    Roxie8611 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Due to my work schedule...i eat when its 'time' to eat personally. I never let myself get hungry if you know what I mean. It works for me at the moment :)
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that problem....
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I can't say that's ever happened to me. I would have your doctor check your hormone levels.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    LOL - so many different thoughts! I don't have an eating disorder, and my hormone levels are fine (we just renewed our life insurance and had to have a battery of tests - I'm perfectly healthy). I have never been a yo-yo dieter either, but have also always eaten "because it was time to eat" so I am trying to work on listening to my body. I seem to be doing OK and got a lot of interesting replies! So thank you everyone :-)
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I often eat when I'm not hungry, because if I didn't then I wouldn't be eating enough per day calorie wise. Note that I'm not hungry because of my high fat/protein intake. Fat and protein is a lot more satisfying than let's say a bowl of spaghetti, because it takes your body longer to process meats and healthy fats, thus making you feel full for much longer periods of time.

If one were to actually pay attention I eat quite a bit, I just don't eat junk food all the time.
  • carolose46
    carolose46 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I eat my calories even when I am not hungry and had the same questionning.
    I was told to only eat when hungry and this is the opposite. so I consumme the extra calories and often confused about how to fill them up. ex: at night after a filling dinner, if I have 300 calories left sometimes, my carbs for the day are already obtain, so what to eat? I don't always want just protein in the evening.
    that's the part where it get's hard and you haveto be creative with limited options.
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    i always listen to my body.

however, if you previously weren`t eating much, skipping meals etc which has affected your metabolism (slowed it down), then you won`t feel hungry because your body isn`t used to eating.

to change this (if this is your goal), pick set times to eat your 3 meals + 2 snack. eat at the same time every day and do not skip. you don`t have to eat a whole lot but what you`re trying to do is reset your body (internal clock aka circadian rhythm) to feel hungry at these times. this in turn, will begin to increase your metabolism. it takes time; about a month or so for your body to readjust but the more you stick to your eating schedule, the faster your body adapts. with each snack, just add a tiny bit more food each week. your body will adjust.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do! I schedule my meals and snacks, other wise I have a tendency to under eat, then I lose weight too fast. As a gainer/maintainer, this is not a good thing for me. I can't really depending on listening to my body anymore, cause it simply tells me it's not hungry way too often.
  • slimline1
    slimline1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If I only ate when I felt hungry, I would not be in this position. I live to eat not eat to live but I'm learning.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I've never had much trouble hitting my calories, but I do have a problem with binge eating. I had a bad one on Monday so decided to look back through and see if there was a pattern (I keep every detail possible on a spreadsheet). The last 5 binges I had; I'd either undereaten the day before, or gone out for a meal (so triggering my 'f**k it I've been bad anyway' mode).

Moral of the story is, while I was pleased I'd somehow finished 500 calories under my goal last weekend, my body obviously wasn't, as I felt tired (so couldn't be bothered to cook my healthy dinner), hungry all day and I craved sugar. So yes, I'd advise eating your calories. Peanut butter is good as it's a lot of cals for little volume of food.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Only if I'm way under at the end of the day.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    For me, that only happens when I see junkfood I like, such as chips. Lol. So I make sure to have none of those in my house, at least not in plain sight. I only eat when I am hungry or whenever I planned my meals. =)
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    I don't. It all balances out over time. I might be way under on Monday but be over on Wednesday. At the end of the week it's all pretty even.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    LOL - so many different thoughts! I don't have an eating disorder, and my hormone levels are fine (we just renewed our life insurance and had to have a battery of tests - I'm perfectly healthy). I have never been a yo-yo dieter either, but have also always eaten "because it was time to eat" so I am trying to work on listening to my body. I seem to be doing OK and got a lot of interesting replies! So thank you everyone :-)

My husband is in the military. I have no problem losing or maintaining weight when he isn't home. Why? Because when he is gone its a lot easier to only eat when hungry when yours is the only belly to feed. Conversely, whenever I'm being really "good" and he is home the poor guy drops weight so fast because the meals I cool simply don't have the caloric values he needs to maintain/gain. This is really tricky to try to balance. If you consiatently find yourself eating just because someone else is sharing a meal with you then you could be hindering your progress inadvertently.