How do I add fat to my diet and not gain weight...

Options
My fat intake is regularly very low and I find myself craving sweets - especially in the evenings. I have no idea if this is related, but I did read where someone posted that it was. If that is the case, I tend to over-indulge in sweets when I do eat them...like I can't stop once I start, so I try not to buy them...easier said than done at certain times of the month...so should I add more fat to my diet and if so, how without drastically increasing my caloric intake?

Replies

• DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Well, all fat is 9cals per gram but not all fats are equal. Id aim for around 20% of your diet to be fat but from sources such as nuts, seeds, fish and avocado.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Healthy fats! Olive oils, nuts, seeds. Google healthy fats and you will find a whole bunch of choices!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Fat will not make you gain weight!

Add healthy fats, like nuts, seeds, avocados, olive oil... And continue to meet your calorie goals.

For myself, I have to completely cut out sweets and starchy foods for a week or so to get myself out of the habit. If I do that, then I can indulged with control. It also helps to pair my sweets with protein ir healthy fats. I usually eat my fruits with pistachios, PB or cheeses, and even my favorite chocolate is best with a half serving of almonds.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Experiment with adding good fats into your diet to see if it helps your cravings (good suggestions above), and you won't gain weight so long as you stay within your net calories.

Also cut out any artificial sweeteners, as these are notorious for making you crave proper sugar.
  • leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Fat will not make you gain weight!

Add healthy fats, like nuts, seeds, avocados, olive oil... And continue to meet your calorie goals.

This. But I would also add coconut oil to the list.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I have added almonds to my daily fat consumption ..seems to help
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Interesting as I have been using artificial sweeteners to save calories...thank you all for the advice. I know this stuff in the back of my mind...thanks for the support and suggestions.
  • robotshorts
    Options
    Interesting as I have been using artificial sweeteners to save calories...thank you all for the advice. I know this stuff in the back of my mind...thanks for the support and suggestions.

I cut out artificial sweeteners nearly a month ago and i have never felt better. You don't need it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You need to give up the calories somewhere else if you want to increase fat without increasing calories. Fat is important for your health. Added sugar is not.

If you like sweets in the evening, I'd suggest replacing the sugary foods with something like cocoa or cinnamon roast almonds, which still have that bit of sweetness but also a good dose of healthy fats and fiber. Or maybe some peanut butter mixed with a bit of maple syrup (delicious plain, or on wholemeal toast).
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Fat is not gonna make you gain weight. Going over your cals will. I have always lost as long as I was under cals even while eating massive amounts of fat. So if you add fats you have to take those cals from elsewhere and one obvious place would be those sweets. Good luck
  • thisisme13
    thisisme13 Posts: 150
    Options
    As others have said already, dietary fat won't make you fat.

Add in things like nuts, nut butters, avocado, healthy oils (olive oil for example), switch to full fat dressings/sauces/condiments, full fat dairy, etc.