COLOR RUN

Options
dwh77tx
dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
I am doing "The Color Run" this weekend with my family. I will be walking though. Anyone done it- advice, feedback??

Replies

• Zaria_Athena
    Zaria_Athena Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I did one last summer. It was FABULOUS.

Tips:
    - just have fun. It's not a timed event. There were lots of walkers at my event
    - wear old clothes - white is great
    - bring garbage bags or old blanket to cover the seat in the car for the car ride home
    - just have fun!
  • mommymilbrat
    mommymilbrat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    SO much fun! my DH and I walked it last year too. We are planning on going again this year with the kids. Fun atmosphere! Completely agree with previous poster. Have fun!
  • buffybabe
    buffybabe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm doing one in April, I am really excited about it!
  • brittpk
    brittpk Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am doing one this weekend too . I am so excited but not sure what to expect. I will be walking too:)
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I did one last summer. It was FABULOUS.

Tips:
    - just have fun. It's not a timed event. There were lots of walkers at my event
    - wear old clothes - white is great
    - bring garbage bags or old blanket to cover the seat in the car for the car ride home
    - just have fun!

This plus:

-Your boogers will be multicolored
    -There's a good chance your skin will be blue/purple/pink/green for a few days.

It's so much fun!

ETA: Don't be afraid of your skin being stained. For me, it was my feet and armpit areas (easily covered by clothing). That powder gets EVERYWHERE! :happy:
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I did one last summer it was amazing. There were a lot of people who were walking so don't feel like you will be the only one.

Advice:

As someone stated before, clothing that you don't really care about- some of the dye does stain
    Bring towels, trash bags, some bottled water- trash bags to cover the seats in your car, towels and water to try and get the color off. I didn't have any of this when I went and payed for it, lol.
    The color stations, hold your breath while walking through as inhaling the dust isn't fantastic.
    HAVE FUN!!! It's an amazing experience! Also, make sure to have your color pouch with you at the end for the color toss- that is awesome as well!
  • AuntieKT
    AuntieKT Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I signed up to do my first Color Run in May on my birthday this year! I am pretty excited! One of the above posters said that it was not timed...is that true? I'd like a time and a standing like normal races because I intend to run it. Not that it will make me want to run any less cuz I have a watch that can track it, but I was just curious.
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    i have done it twice. its alot of fun. i walked it too. my advice would be spray your entire body NAKED with sunscreen before the run because it makes it easier to get all the color off. even under 4 layers i have gotten so much color on my skin haha. close your mouth in the color zones & possibly try to hold your breath when they go to throw it on you. other people complain about it being hard to breathe etc.. but i havent had problems. also u could stay in the middle of the zone for LESS color.. but where is the fun in that? or u could wear a bandana to pull over your mouth before a zone. my friend literally had it in her mouth cuz shes crazy and it doesnt taste very good haha. have tons of fun! seriously tho try out the sunscreen. saves you tons of scrubbing time. first time i didnt use sunscreen. second time i sprayed after i got dressed so my stomach was Blue & Purple for about a week or two lol. but my arms came clean. dont forget under your arms lol.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    It's SO much fun. I'm actually signed up for my second one coming up in May.

Just have fun with it. Aim to get color on your white clothes, not to beat a record. Have a blast at the end with your packet of paint powder too! :bigsmile:
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    THANKS OP I was wondering the same thing!! I am doing the Neon Splash Dash this weekend & it will be my first ever 5K!

I'm sure I'll walk more than run but that is one reason I picked this as my first one because the atmosphere seems like it will be more relaxed!!
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    I signed up to do my first Color Run in May on my birthday this year! I am pretty excited! One of the above posters said that it was not timed...is that true? I'd like a time and a standing like normal races because I intend to run it. Not that it will make me want to run any less cuz I have a watch that can track it, but I was just curious.

yes it is NOT timed. you will have to do timing on your own. its more of a "fun" run so that people can have the experience of a 5k at their own paces and try it out when they normally wouldnt have. you are welcome to run it and time yourself or walk it. whatever you prefer. its great fun. enjoy.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I am still waiting for them to announce the actual date and location of the "New England" Color Run this coming July. I fear I am going to miss it as it will interfere with one of my other races.
  • emiliewright
    emiliewright Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Doing one in July, I CANT WAIT!
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    This makes me so excited for August when I'm going to be doing it in Buffalo. I will definitely be considering all of you folks' suggestions.
  • cxsiegel
    cxsiegel Posts: 26
    Options
    Sunglasses! And a plastic baggie to keep your phone in. That stuff gets every where! But it was sooooo much fun. I can't wait to do another one.
  • fullofhope76
    Options
    I wanted to do one in May, but I wasn't very keen on paying $45 for it. It would be different if the money was going to a cause of some kind, but it was just going to the community that the run was being held and I don't even live there.
  • msmithevv
    msmithevv Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The Color Run is a blast!! My advice - Wear a hat or your hair will be colorful too and keep your mouth closed in the color zones, unless you like the taste of paint. :-) Have fun!
  • RNWall
    RNWall Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I did my first one this past weekend. Don't chew jump lol! I did and the chalk got in my gum and turned my mouth colors :) My feet are still stained. So make sure you don't mind the color. If you bring your phone or camera, wrap it in a ziplock baggie otherwise the chalk is so fine that it will mess it up. Have fun! I timed myself I did it in 35 mins! I was so proud since I had been using couch to 3k to train for it. Pics will be in my profile of what the color will do to your face in about 5 mins feel free to check them out :)
  • casmithis
    casmithis Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Does anyone happen to know if there's a run in Toronto? I went on the website and didn't see it but when I googled it Toronot came up as 1 of the sights.
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Look at my picture! I did the color me Rad run in Raleigh last year! So much fun! The color is a little tough to get off, but use a scrubby and you will fine.
    I was in Winston-Salem last weekend for an opera, and I found out too late that they were having a color run there also. If I had known earlier, I definitely would have done it. They are so much fun!!!