Bouncing around

Options
I'm officially a little frustrated. After really cleaning up my diet in September, I was able to break through a plateau that had stalled me for YEARS. I lowered my carbs (nothing crazy low, just keep MOST from veggies) and started paying attention to sugar. Got down into the 140's and was super happy. Still have a meal or two on weekends that I just WANT and was able to keep the weight off. I'm a group exercise instructor so I basically HAVE to do a lot of cardio. Teach 9 classes a week, although 4 are Bodypump.
My body is really used to this kind of schedule, so it's not in losing weight mode. It's in maintenance mode. Even with 1000's of calories burned. I have been eating a couple hundred calories more or so most days lately..and maybe that's making the difference...but I have 3-5 pounds that are now plaguing me and are going up/down. I don't want to lose a bunch...I couldn't even I wanted to. Body refuses. But I'd like to get rid of these 3 pounds or so that aren't going back down after a couple weeks of sickness/TOM. Thanks for your help!

(I did eat 2000+ last Spring for a few months and gained 11 pounds...couldn't fit in my clothes...awful)

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    With the body composition that you have, why are you worried about 3lbs?

Does the scale really matter?
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I can tell the difference. My Combat shorts fit a little tighter yesterday. I'm about 5 pounds from where I was and 5 pounds can make a difference. I'm still around 22% BF. I'd love to be around 18-20%.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should stop worrying about those couple of pounds and do some weight training to tighten you up?
  • tempest501
    tempest501 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I can tell the difference. My Combat shorts fit a little tighter yesterday. I'm about 5 pounds from where I was and 5 pounds can make a difference. I'm still around 22% BF. I'd love to be around 18-20%.

We all have to do what makes us happy but from your profile pic you look in great shape. I am trying to teach myself to pay less attention to the scales and more to my measurements and bodyfat readings.

Don't over analyse it thought you look fantastic as far as I can tell. Sounds like a very hectic routine you have too, must keep you well fit and healthy.

I forgot to mention if its bodyfat you are mainly trying to shift I have been following www.leangains.com and it has really helped me. It's not for everyone but fits my life perfect. Just make sure you get enough food if you do it with all the classes you run etc.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Losing bodyfat and losing weight aren't the same thing.

Maybe you should check out the Eat, Train, Progress group for more detailed advice from Sara and Sidesteel on how to drop your body fat percentage to get the results you want.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Cut down on the cardio classes, increase the weight training (NOT BodyPump!) if you really want to change your body comp. i am a looong time fitness instructor as well and unfortunately, you will need to make a choice if you want to lower your BF % to those zones. You may need to switch up you macros as well.
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to give advice because I'm sure you will get plenty (And the Eat Train Progress group is wonderful for help). When you are small 5 pounds can make a big difference. I clicked on your post because I am currently going through the same thing. I was maintaining at 130 for about 4 months and over the past 3 weeks I have bounced up to between 134-136. I know that the weight gain is not "real" in that I did not eat that many calories over my TDEE (that I measure with a BodyMedia armband), but it is frustrating to see it on the scale anyway. I can see a tiny muffin top forming on my back over my jeans where there was none before and I definitely do not feel as "lean" as before. My body fat measured with calipers is 18.8%.

I just wanted to let you know you are not alone and that ultimately you are the one that should decide your end goal weight. Also 5 pounds on a size 2 is not going to be the same as 5 pounds on a size 14. (I'm not trying to be rude, but it is true).

Good luck!
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    the human body will fluctuate between 2-5lbs per day! 3lbs is NOTHING. seriously, toss the scale and go by inches lost. it's the best and most accurate way (along with body fat %).

my weight hasn't really moved in the last few months but i'm still losing inches (and gaining more muscle definition) which is why my weight probably is heavier. i actually have no clue since i don't use the scale.
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Bumping for you!! I have been in the same boat for a year, and have tried changing things up as well. Thinking about doing IF and see if it makes a difference... So I have no advice. Sorry!:)
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Incorporate one 24 hour fast day into your week for 4 weeks? Review the results.
  • tempest501
    Options
    Incorporate one 24 hour fast day into your week for 4 weeks? Review the results.

I 24 hour fast may not be the way to go as she is prob burning lots of calories teaching all those classes so trying to get the calories for maintenance might be harder this. If you decide to fast try leangains as its just bodyfat you are worrying about.
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    Cut down on the cardio classes, increase the weight training (NOT BodyPump!) if you really want to change your body comp. i am a looong time fitness instructor as well and unfortunately, you will need to make a choice if you want to lower your BF % to those zones. You may need to switch up you macros as well.

Ahh, but there is the rub. The classes are my job. It's a double edged sword. They keep me fit and in the gym...but they are a structured schedule that i can't stray from obviously...or I'd get fired. LOL! Adding in weight training is hard because my body is tired from all the classes! :explode:

How would you suggest the macro switch?
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    bumping so i can see the responses too. good luck! i understand u have your own personal goals, but like everyone said- u look pretty fantastic already :)
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    bump
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should stop worrying about those couple of pounds and do some weight training to tighten you up?

she already mentioned that she does BodyPump.... which incorporates strength training...
    and it's totally reasonable to be concerned about 3-5 pounds when it was already lost... especially if you don't have a lot to lose. trying for 18-20% bf is also very reasonable.

anyhow.... my suggestion would be to focus in the kitchen. focus on your diet. your body is likely pretty resiiant to all the workouts. you are in great shape (your heart is happy!). the likely culpurates are food intake (even if still technically less than your TDEE) and water retention from not getting much (if any) downtime for your body.

i hear ya though....
  • tempest501
    Options

Ahh, but there is the rub. The classes are my job. It's a double edged sword. They keep me fit and in the gym...but they are a structured schedule that i can't stray from obviously...or I'd get fired. LOL! Adding in weight training is hard because my body is tired from all the classes! :explode:

How would you suggest the macro switch?

This question is quite open to interpretation as what works for one does not always for for the other. Some people cut on the classic 40% Carbs 40% Protein and 20% fat. I myself prefer to keep go low carb and a paleo ish type diet during the week with 25% Carbs 35% fat (healthy fats ;D mostly) and 40% Protein. On a weekend I do a sort of reseed and not worry too much about macros other than my protein.

It's going pretty well so far I am at 13.1% losing about .2-.3 a week which I am happy with. I know I could go quicker but I am happy with this pace and considering this time last year I was almost 15 stone, I think it's pretty good.

Good luck working it all out, you check Karen Leigh on YouTube she is a bikini model , my wife said she gives good advice.
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    Thanks Tempest! That is typically my macro scenario too. I will check her out. Thanks!