Calf strain from running?

Options
As a quick preface, I used to get my cardio in doing elliptical/stair climber/moderate running. Recently, I've been competing in 5ks and have been incorporating running into my daily routine. Some days I crank out a mile, and then do something else, and a few days a week I run 4-5 miles. This isn't a ton, but after my last 5k (March 10th) I noticed an awful pain on the inside of my right calf (dominate leg). It about knocked me off my feet! After about 20 minutes and a few beers it didn't seem to bother me. I still made a good time.

About 20 days before that, I noticed pain running as well, but didn't think much of it and kept training. After the race on the 10th, I kept running and it didn't really bother me. Now, after running I can barely get through a mile. I have supports in my shoes, but I think I need to go get fitted for different/better running shoes. I am more of a weight lifter and used to do power lifting, so I have worked on my shin/calf strength in attempts to counteract this. Does anybody have any suggestions? I have a neoprene sleeve I put on because it is an awful pain that induces limping. Yesterday I felt it move into my other leg. Is it bad for me to keep training on this? Or can I keep running? I have another race on Sunday, the 24th. Yikes!

Thanks everybody!

Replies

• clarkej11
    Options
    Really sorry to here about your calf strain, its a major let down especially when your running is going well. I tore my soleus muscle the inside of my lower calf in January and was due to run a half marathon in March. Due to the pain I made a visit to the local physio who informed me that I could not run for at least six weeks. I would get some professional advise regarding your injury, or you may end up doing yourself some serious damage.

Hope this helps.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Great ( or bad) timing, as I am battling a calf strain myself. Pretty much best to lay off it & let it heal. When you do start back, if it flares up again, stop. Don't keep pushing on. If you try to keep running you will make it worse and it's also likely that throwing your stride off to compensate will lead to another injury on your "good" leg.
  • rea1980
    rea1980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with the others, see a doctor to make sure it is nothing serious. I have had the same issue too. For me I was lucky and found that it is a sign that I need new shoes. When my running shoes breakdown and don't provide me the proper support I need, this is a sign for me. I would still get it checked out since this is a new injury to you and you want to make sure it is nothing serious.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I agree with going to a running store (who have professional runners as workers there), to test run and find the perfect shoe for you. Especially if you plan on running more. Also, could increase your protein intake a bit to help with muscle repair (that works for me). Also, over doing it will cause injury so if you are a new runner, you probably shouldn't be running every day. But don't get downhearted by this, eventually you will be able to. I've been running for over 10 years now and I can do at least 9 miles daily without injury :-). However when I started, I couldn't run every day I got shin splints and the likes when I did...
  • ljcazan
    ljcazan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I didn't increase my mileage too quickly and I've always been a very active person. I think I've taken my shoes a bit too far in their mileage, but I will go ahead and make sure I am not at risk for tearing something. I hate to be out, but I'd hate to put myself out longer too.... bummer. My problem is that I always push myself too far when I have an injury. Rest is no fun!!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Ive been there and the only way to heal that is to rest. If its not too serious a few days rest might heal it enough to run easy until the pain is gone. If its more serious you may need a week or more rest.

Continuing to run on it and particularly racing on it as it is now will probably end in a worse calf tear. That could put you out of commission for months.

Also, from the description, it sound like a soleus muscle strain.
  • ljcazan
    Options
    You're right - I did some research and that is what it appears to be. I wonder if I should have no activity with it? Or just cut out the running.... thanks for the info!!!
  • ljcazan
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You're right - I did some research and that is what it appears to be. I wonder if I should have no activity with it? Or just cut out the running.... thanks for the info!!!
    Crosstraining should be ok as long as it doesn't keep straining the soleus. Pool running would be ideal if you have access to a pool.
  • ljcazan
    Options
    Crosstraining should be ok as long as it doesn't keep straining the soleus. Pool running would be ideal if you have access to a pool.

I sure do! I went swimming yesterday morning in exchange for my normal cardio. I'll try that out! Thanks again.
  • linusr
    linusr Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had persistent calf issues a couple of years ago. I found this article, bought The Stick, and did the rehab he suggested:

http://www.thestick.net/Articles/Calf_ Heart_ Attack.htm

Haven't had issues for a little while, and use the Stick fairly regularly now. Good luck getting better.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel about stopping cold turkey. It is hard... Ive done some ridiculous stuff, like run a half with a sprained ankle (slowing to 9 minute miles) or still doing aerobics with a broken toe.... It heals but takes twice the time to. So now, since Im older and'wiser' I just slow down when I feel a hint of injury onsetting.