My first time counting Calories - very surprised!

Options
Agustb
Agustb Posts: 3 Member
This is my first time counting calories so I just ate regular food for a week and filled out the food diary. Some of my healthiest foods turned out to be very unhealthy! Hot dogs? I thought they were a nice snack but it seems they will kill you :noway:

I see there are a lot of interesting people here that have done some excellent things with there bodies using this page.

Hopefully I´ll start to loose some weight in the coming weeks.

Cheers,
Agust
From Reykjavik - Iceland

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Yes man...it's absolutely the best thing I've ever done.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • tlynnest
    tlynnest Posts: 112
    Options
    Welcome :-)

Yes, at first it is pretty interesting.

Have a great time.
  • Lovemyzach
    Lovemyzach Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ya hotdogs are high in sodium I believe....check chicken strips and see if they are any better? Not to heavily breaded....
  • NaturallyandProperly
    NaturallyandProperly Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    hot dogs! lol you will love this site. Welcome!
  • sunset34
    sunset34 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Like you i used to eat hot-dogs,
    until i seen a program on making them, none since.

The app is very good and good advice it you need it also.

regards, from Ireland.
  • ichoose2believe
    ichoose2believe Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was quite shocked at fast food items the most. Even simple things like pasta and regular sauce sometimes had 900 calories and 2500 mg of sodium... so sad but... good info to have.
  • Lakeshores
    Options
    I notice the sodium and sugar levels then I decided if I am going to eat it or not. It's amazing!
  • ksmiley412
    ksmiley412 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Welcome to mfp it has definitely been an eye opener for me.
  • us3isallineed
    Options
    Last week was my first time counting calories. Also surprised!!!
  • Agustb
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Agustb
    Options
    I was quite shocked at fast food items the most. Even simple things like pasta and regular sauce sometimes had 900 calories and 2500 mg of sodium... so sad but... good info to have.
    I know, right! I alway put Pasta in the "Getting Healthy" category - now it goes into the "In case of an emergency energy crisis" category.
    Thanks for the comment by the way.
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely incredible as you say, discovering what is that we are really eating. That is the first step in losing weight or in the start of a new and better lifestyle.

I bet for the latter, because it is more important to live healthy than a quick fix of a diet.

Mastering your cal budget will allow you to have the hot dog and the burger you like without any remorse.

In here, remorse is forbidden! Most of all are having a lot of fun doing what we are doing!

So enjoy and welcome!
  • staciedee10
    staciedee10 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! We are all in this together - this site is a wonderful support system that we all need. I ate hot dogs as well until I learned of their fat, sodium, calories, etc. NOT worth it in the end. SUCH a good feeling to lose weight & exercise!!! :-D
  • tigermom12
    Options
    First of all Welcome!

I agree with you. This is my first time counting calories too as well as watching sodium, protein, carbs, sugar, etc and it definitely has been an eye opening experience. I'm loving it! Good luck!
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Yes once you start counting calories it can be quite an eye opener. Same for when you actually "measure & weigh your food". Put some pasta on a plate like you would normally eat - then measure out an actual serving and put them side by side - talk about a shock!

Have fun, check out the discussion threads and ask all the questions you want. Great to have you
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Yes once you start counting calories it can be quite an eye opener. Same for when you actually "measure & weigh your food". Put some pasta on a plate like you would normally eat - then measure out an actual serving and put them side by side - talk about a shock!

Have fun, check out the discussion threads and ask all the questions you want. Great to have you here.
  • ayyeecee
    ayyeecee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Not only am I surprised by how bad certain things are for me, I'm surprised on how little I can eat on my diet! If I exercise a lot I can eat more though!! So If you're a food freak like I am, let eating more food motivate you to work out! haha

Before I eat it- I always program it into mfp food tracker first to see if the meal is around 350 -400 calories. And if its more I choose something else.

Hope that helps! Been working for me!
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Hot dogs as a nice snack? I can see how you'd think that. I remember seeing my obese ex-husband stare into the fridge while munching on a cold hot dog. He probably didn't even fully realize he was eating it.

Counting calories is getting real with your food. The willful blinders come off.

It's also a bugdet, an amount you get to "spend" every day. Like they say, Don't spend it all in one place!

Welcome and best of luck.
  • June2268
    June2268 Posts: 37
    Options
    Totally an eye opener for sure......counting calories has really got me on my toes!! Welcome!