sleepy while working out

Options
I feel so sleepy whenever I work out. I will yawn and yawn and yawn. and there's a point where I could just drop on the floor and sleep there. I have enough sleep and I'm not tired before working out. It's just during workout, this really disrupts my workout flow. Very irritating. Can anyone tell me the logic of this?

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    It's a problem that some people have, and there's no explanation for it. My trainer was telling me that one of her clients had this issue.

In general, no one really knows why we yawn. There's some evolutionary biology explanations, but nothing that's got strong empirical evidence (nor consensus). It's probably just vestigial behavior, much like other vestigial traits such as the tail bone and ear wiggling.

You mention that you're not tired and you're getting enough sleep, a couple of other thoughts that come to mind. Are you taking any medication, such as anti-depressants? It's none of my business, so you don't have to respond, but if you are, that might be a cause? Do you have low blood pressure? If yes, then you may want to talk to a doctor about this for further review/evaluation.

If these can be ruled out, then consider that your routine is not challenging, stale, too boring, and change it up. Maybe introduce more HIIT type exercises like burpees, jumping jacks, and weight training? Something that is explosive with short intervals, and not something that's longer interval, constant-rate - which could induce the yawning.

I hope you find some resolution to this issue. I can see where it would be very annoying. Good luck!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I yawn A TON when I do my Pilates. Something about the stretching and breathing deeper/in varying intervals.
  • Laura42012
    Laura42012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Well, this is pretty "broad" -- what type of workouts? When are you working out?
  • Laura42012
    Laura42012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Also, I don't yawn or get sleepy during a workout. If I'm doing a workout - I'm 100% on board. If I'm not, then I usually kick myself afterwards for being lame. :)

Mind over matter, if you're doing everything to help you do the workouts (sleep, the right time of the day, enough fuel).....you need to put yourself in the right mindset to do the workout or you will fail.

I tried running last night, it was too late at night for me to actually do a proper run so I just gave up...I wasn't in the mindset.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Uh... No. There is an explanation. Get a sleep study. That is a symptom of narcolepsy, actually.
  • liftreadphilosophize
    liftreadphilosophize Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I yawn a lot when I'm lifting, but not while I'm doing cardio. I also get plenty of sleep and am alert during the rest of the day -- I certainly don't have narcolepsy. It's most likely the fact that your body just needs extra oxygen (which it does while you're working out) and so you yawn to get more. Yawn away! And just make sure you get good sleep and are giving your body the adequate nutrition it needs to recover and perform at its best.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    How much sleep are you getting on average. Are you eating prior to working out and if so how much?
  • js417
    js417 Posts: 1
    Options
    Same here I'm thinking of drinking some coffee or have a fruit about 15 before I work out
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Uh... No. There is an explanation. Get a sleep study. That is a symptom of narcolepsy, actually.
    That's some diagnosis.

I'm not a doctor, but I just googled symptoms for narcolepsy and checked a couple sites (webmd and mayoclinic) and even wikipedia'd it and did not find the word "yawn" mentioned at all. It could be narcolepsy, but I would probably look at other causes. Or look up narcolepsy and see if you have any of the other symptoms.
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Yawning is usually a sign of stress on the body. Whether it be that you're sleep deprived or personal problems.
  • babychoose
    babychoose Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's a problem that some people have, and there's no explanation for it. My trainer was telling me that one of her clients had this issue.

In general, no one really knows why we yawn. There's some evolutionary biology explanations, but nothing that's got strong empirical evidence (nor consensus). It's probably just vestigial behavior, much like other vestigial traits such as the tail bone and ear wiggling.

You mention that you're not tired and you're getting enough sleep, a couple of other thoughts that come to mind. Are you taking any medication, such as anti-depressants? It's none of my business, so you don't have to respond, but if you are, that might be a cause? Do you have low blood pressure? If yes, then you may want to talk to a doctor about this for further review/evaluation.

If these can be ruled out, then consider that your routine is not challenging, stale, too boring, and change it up. Maybe introduce more HIIT type exercises like burpees, jumping jacks, and weight training? Something that is explosive with short intervals, and not something that's longer interval, constant-rate - which could induce the yawning.

I hope you find some resolution to this issue. I can see where it would be very annoying. Good luck!

I'm not on any medication and I don't have any blood pressure issue. I had in total 3 times low blood pressure in my life caused by food poisoning. That's it. My routine is actually quite challenging. I'm doing jillian michael's BFBM which is a pain in my a**. There are burpees, jumping jacks, mount climbers, walking pushups. And I still yawn. It's extremely annoying. Makes me feel so demotivated in exercising.
  • babychoose
    babychoose Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I yawn A TON when I do my Pilates. Something about the stretching and breathing deeper/in varying intervals.

Stretching in my workout is the last session. I start yawning within 5 mins or so.
    Well, this is pretty "broad" -- what type of workouts? When are you working out?
    Also, I don't yawn or get sleepy during a workout. If I'm doing a workout - I'm 100% on board. If I'm not, then I usually kick myself afterwards for being lame. :) 

Mind over matter, if you're doing everything to help you do the workouts (sleep, the right time of the day, enough fuel).....you need to put yourself in the right mindset to do the workout or you will fail. 

I tried running last night, it was too late at night for me to actually do a proper run so I just gave up...I wasn't in the mindset.

I workout around 7pm and I always workout at this time as it's quite convenient where no commitments comes during this time. I'm pretty sure it's not that late.
    I yawn a lot when I'm lifting, but not while I'm doing cardio. I also get plenty of sleep and am alert during the rest of the day -- I certainly don't have narcolepsy. It's most likely the fact that your body just needs extra oxygen (which it does while you're working out) and so you yawn to get more. Yawn away! And just make sure you get good sleep and are giving your body the adequate nutrition it needs to recover and perform at its best.

Surprisingly I yawn even during cardio.
    How much sleep are you getting on average. Are you eating prior to working out and if so how much?

I sleep maximum 8 hours. and I eat at least 1 hour before working out. If I ate later than that, I'm bound to throwing up. Previous experience.
    Same here I'm thinking of drinking some coffee or have a fruit about 15 before I work out

I wish I could eat 15 mins before working out. Stomach can't take up even lightest food before work out.
    Yawning is usually a sign of stress on the body. Whether it be that you're sleep deprived or personal problems.

I'm pretty much content with my life and as I've said earlier I have 8 hours of sleep per day.
  • faith_76
    faith_76 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It happened to me when I would do plyometrics. It eventually went away. I figured the workout was just majorly kicking my butt.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I yawn a lot when I'm lifting, but not while I'm doing cardio. I also get plenty of sleep and am alert during the rest of the day -- I certainly don't have narcolepsy. It's most likely the fact that your body just needs extra oxygen (which it does while you're working out) and so you yawn to get more. Yawn away!

I yawn alot during certain exercises too, even if I'm not tired really. I always just assumed it was a natural way for my body to get more oxygen...
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much content with my life and as I've said earlier I have 8 hours of sleep per day.
    Yes, but life is stressful, even if you don't feel it or acknowledge it. Every little thing you do during the day puts a stress on your body. Evolution tells us we must adapt to our always changing environment, so each day your body stresses trying to deal with these demands (even if you've been doing then for years). Mentally you can be the happiest carefree person in the world, but your body will still get stressed.
    Gaining weight is a stress on the body, just as losing weight is. I figure, if your body is giving stress signals (yawning) then you must be doing something right and working extra hard.
  • hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Maybe try moving your workout to the morning right after you wake up? If you have an 8-5 job then you are working out after putting in a full days work. While you might be getting 8 hours of sleep at night you are still going to be tired after being up for 12 hours or so. Try moving your workout time around and see if there is a time when you can workout and not yawn.
  • apodicticannie
    Options
    This happens to me as well.. but usually only when lifting weights. During cardio or runs, I don't get sleepy. Still haven't figured it out-- maybe from rush of endorphins?
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Ermagherd and here I was thinking I was the only one! I yawn like crazy when I work out despite being well rested and loving my routines. Haha I always feel so self conscious then too, like I'm the girl yawning all ho-hum la-tee-da in the weight room. I feel yo pain brotha *bro hugs*
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Do you eat enough carbs?
  • shabnamDx
    shabnamDx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i think it's because of the blood circulation and the amount of oxygen that your body receives!