Another Protein Shake Thread

Options
b4u386
b4u386 Posts: 14 Member
Hi All,

Although I know the importance of giving your body fuel in the morning, I'm never really very hungry and don't have a lot of time. Normally my 'breakfast' consists of two black coffees.

I know there are other threads on this topic but I had a quick look and couldn't see an exact answer. I'm toying with the idea of having a protein shake as a breakfast meal replacement.

1. Is this a good idea? (I don't exercise every day).
2. Are there any flavoured shakes sold in the UK that have minimal sugar content? (I looked today and most have over 20g of sugar per serving!)
3. If anyone else has done this, has it had a positive/negative effect on your losses?

Thanks.

Replies

• CatMcCheesey
    Options
    Another vote for Optimum Nutrition. I am often not hungry or don't have time for breakfast in the morning, so a protein shake works well for me. I also like Plant Fusion protein powders.
  • Jennacowles
    Jennacowles Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I drink Shakeology everyday! I love that I am energized through the day, don't get those crazy midday cravings and stay satisfied until my next meal. I have also lowered my cholesterol, became more 'regular', and was able to get through some weight plateaus!
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Although I know the importance of giving your body fuel in the morning, I'm never really very hungry and don't have a lot of time. Normally my 'breakfast' consists of two black coffees.

I know there are other threads on this topic but I had a quick look and couldn't see an exact answer. I'm toying with the idea of having a protein shake as a breakfast meal replacement.

1. Is this a good idea? (I don't exercise every day).
    2. Are there any flavoured shakes sold in the UK that have minimal sugar content? (I looked today and most have over 20g of sugar per serving!)
    3. If anyone else has done this, has it had a positive/negative effect on your losses?

Thanks.

Optimum Nutrition is also my pick. 10lb bag sells on Amazon for under $100. Preferably any chocolate flavor.

More protein is almost always a good thing.
  • stevb15
    stevb15 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Mocha Cappuchino. Mix it in some unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Delicious.
  • b4u386
    b4u386 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I'm looking at Optimum Nutrition - there are so many types! When I google it the '100% Gold Standard Whey bottle comes up. Is that the right one?!
  • MrsSardone
    MrsSardone Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrtion double chocolate. It mixes great! Tastes delicious too!
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thisisme13
    thisisme13 Posts: 150
    Options
    Don't eat in the morning if you aren't hungry.

I prefer real food over protein shakes... however I do use protein shakes as a suppliement only. When I do buy a protein powder I just get whatever is on sale at my local store. Right now I have a Body Fortress Chocolate and a Muscle Maxx chocolate version.

Ultimately, I would suggest not eating in the morning if you aren't hungry and it doesn't cause you to overeat later on. If I'm not hungry in the morning I'd rather save the calories for later in the day than force myself to consume something.
  • Cupcakebettiejo
    Cupcakebettiejo Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I use this one as i'm trying to lose weight and i do train everyday. It's quite thick and the strawberry one is lovely:)

http://www.reflex-nutrition.com/weight-management-diet-protein.html/
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    For the UK I'd go with The Protein Works, great value, great flavours, great product and low sugar 1.5g per serving. If you order over £10 and use code SR2837 you get a free 'taster 250g' pack in another flavour of your choice! Flavours include:

Jaffa Cake
    Vanilla
    Choc
    Strawberry
    Cafe Macchiato
    Cherry Bakewell
    Apple Cinnamon
    Butterscotch
    Banana
  • aarikadanielle
    Options
    My favorite is Banana Cream Gold Standard 100% Whey. So delicious, and with only water. Drink 2 scoops every morning for breakfast.
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've been using Optimum Nutrition 100% Classic Whey Protein - Double Rich Chocolate in a glass of milk first thing in the morning (almond, coconut, regular, soy, rice milk). Sometimes I'll mix it into yogurt or oatmeal too if I want to change it up.

I just found this recipe to make a homemade protein shake that tastes like a Wendy's Frosty :tongue: I'll report back once I make it!!
    For anyone else whose curious, the instructions call for: 3/4 cup almond milk, about 15 ice cubes, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1-2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, sweetener of choice (1/4 of a frozen banana or stevia). YUM.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    I use Ideal Shape or 310 Nutrition Meal Replacement Shakes (MRS's) everyday. They work great, and have helped me lose 20lbs in the last 5 weeks. They are MUCH more complete than just a "protein shake" will ever be.
    They are both in the database, so you can easily check them out. The Ideal Shape Chocolate MRS's are even drinkable just mixed with water.

Both of these only have like 1 or 2 grams of sugar ....
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I live by my Slimfast shake in the morning. Its simple, easy and the nutrition in it is great! I have been drinking them for years... course pre-weight loss i used to have it with a fried egg sandwich w/ extra cheese and hashbrowns lol it's a meal in itself! it's like having a chocolate treat every morning and i love the flavor! it's worth a try to see if you like it.