Bad Knees

Options
Seems that my knees are getting worse every day. I've been doing the elliptical which is easy on my knees. I also have a BowFlex for arms, etc. What can I do for lower body that doesn't involve too much pressure on my knees. Squats HURT, leg lifts hurt, anything that really involves me bending my knee with any kind of weight really hurts. So do I forgo my leg routines and do all cardio? Also, if I keep toning my arms (pushups, lifting weights, etc) am I going to look out of proportion? Any help is appreciated!!

Replies

• redheadedgal
    redheadedgal Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    bump--I have the exact same problem.
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Are you a swimmer? When I was up over 300 swimming did wonders for me.

I do Bikram yoga now and find I have much less joint pain overall.
  • Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I swim in the summer. No access to pool in cooler weather.
  • LiftHuff
    LiftHuff Posts: 131
    Options
    At what point do squats hurt your knees? If done properly, they are excellent rehab for knee issues, but flexibility issues might be holding you up.
  • Bailey532
    Bailey532 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Do youuse a knee brace? Maybe that would help? I have one knee that's slightly bad, but not horrible.
  • Carrot1971
    Options
    Squats hurt the whole time. My knees make a "grinding' noise that isn't good. I probably should go to the doctor but...I'm stubborn and they don't give me many problems any other times (besides walking up and down stairs). I don't have a knee brace. I'm only 41 but sometimes my knees make me feel like I'm 81.
  • joe7880
    joe7880 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I strongly suggest you go see an orthopedic doctor to determine what the best course of action is. Your issue will only get worse and ignoring it will not help (sounds like osteoarthritis). My wife had a similar issue and her orthopedic doctor gave her injections in her knees that helped lubricate the joints. After she lost weight, she no longer needed any further treatment and her knee pain was gone. Good luck!
  • caroleerisse
    Options
    I'm 66 and walking on an elliptical has helped me to do squats with body burn.
  • bryionak
    bryionak Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have used knee pain as an excuse for a while and am working through it. I am takin mega men joint, concentrating on core strengthening. Also check your shoes. I need a wide sole because of the way my feet turn in. The old shoes I was using was causing my weight to come over the side of the sole and putting extra strain on my knee.

I hurt my medial collateral ligiment in my left knee about 20 years ago. I reinjured that knee about 16 months ago. I did PT and the idea was to strengten the muscles around the knee, calf, thight, core, etc.

So far I am having more soreness in my left knee then other places but so far it is just soreness, not chronic pain. I don;t have anything in the way of advice other than my experience, but I would consider a visit to an orthopedist, maybe some PT to figure what is causing the problem and how you can work around or through it. If it is soreness work through it, if it is chronic pain that gets worse then self diagnosing could make it worse.

Swimming seems like good advice.
  • caroleerisse
    Options
    Do Pilates also...helps with flexibility!
  • sixpackdream
    sixpackdream Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Stretch your legs EVERY day. It has done a world of good for me. I am 224 lbs and 46 years old and play about two hours of high level tennis a day.

I was scared when my knees became very sore for a period of time, one of them became swollen and I hobbled up and down stairs. Everyone said go get an operation. I spoke with a few physiotherapists to understand the structure of the knee and learned a lot. I came to understand that the muscles above the knee and below the knee were pulling together and the knee was feeling lots of pressure. If you have excess weight on, it puts even more pressure on it.

I started stretching and am in the process of losing weight and my knee problems have all but disappeared. I was so pleased that I stopped stretching for a while and guess what, the pain came back! I am now stretching my legs for just 5 minutes every day, but it makes all the difference. Now if I can get down to 205...

The stretches I do: 1) touch your toes (hamstring) 2) heel to butt (quads) 3) heel on floor, toes on wall, while facing the wall, lean leg forward (calf). Don't stretch to pain but you should feel it, you will see progress for how far you can stretch every month or two.
  • bryionak
    bryionak Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    knwling what little I know from my visits with an orthopedist you have some issue going on and it should be checked out. The elliptical may be better for the knee in terms of shock as opposed tio running but the motion of the ellliptical could be exactly what you shouldn't be doing because of whatever issue you have.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    bump me too.
  • mommamadge
    Options
    I had the same thing for a long time, then at at 46 I slightly pulled a muscle in my back which resulting in my knees compensating and eventually (within 3 months) I tore my menicus in both knees, fell three times and tore my ACL. Still waiting for surgery, and have gained 15 lbs in 3 months, Just started with this fitness pal today. Get your knees checked, they dont get better without help, do it before it gets worse. I was a runner and trust me it has been the worse 5 months for me sitting around. Biking seems to be helping and I joined the community centre for swimming. Its pretty cheap you should look into it.
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I do partial squats, my knees can't handle a full squat.

My kneecaps are both tilted laterally (to the outside), and my knees sound like they're 70 yrs old (I'm only 35).

I do leg raises on a weight bench. It involves my knees going from 90* angle to extended, but I'm only pushing up whatever weight I put on the machine - I'm not trying to raise my entire body weight.

I also use my elliptical machine 2 to 3 times a week.
  • Carrot1971
    Options
    My fear with getting my knees checked is that I will lose motivation to work out. At one point I lost over 25 pounds. I gained all but 6 of that back due to some major life issues the past six+ months. I REALLY want to get this weight off once and for all. I'm afraid if surgery is required I will gain it all back and then some!
  • LiftHuff
    LiftHuff Posts: 131
    Options

:facepalm:

partial squats are WAY worse for your knees than a full, below-parallel squat.
  • Rose_bee
    Options

:facepalm:

partial squats are WAY worse for your knees than a full, below-parallel squat.

I have knee issues and if I bend my knees closer towards 90* they make really god awful clicking & grinding noises & start to hurt.

The partial squats at at the direction of my much trusted physical therapist, thankyouverymuch!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    You should see an orthopedist. You do not "work through" knee pain. The knee is a complex joint, and muscle and imbalances can contribute. Women often have more problems than men.
  • Rose_bee
    Options
    nevermind.