admitting my weight

Options
Hello, I'm a newbie to MyFitnessPal but not at all new to the wonderful world of weight loss.

I've been trying and failing for 12 years to lose weight. I've done every diet and weight loss trick out there short of diet pills or surgery, and have only ever managed to lose 20ish lbs before putting it all and more back on.

At the beginning of this year I started again, and something seems to be sticking this time, yesterday I hit 50lbs. I'm really quite flabbergasted that I have lost 50lbs, and a little bit proud of myself too.

I'm not sure what's different this time, maybe I'm in a better emotional place right now, maybe my body knows it's now or never, do or die, maybe it's seeing big scary numbers on the scale, maybe it's watching people fight so hard to stay alive only to lose the cancer battle and knowing that I'm killing myself with food and laziness. But whatever it is, right now it's working and I am trying hard to stay on track and stay motivated.

I'm not following any particular plan right now, just trying to make better choices. And I'm taking it very slowly, I have a long way to go and I won't get there overnight but I'm done with trying to get quick results, I've tried that and failed.I have over two hundred lbs to lose, there is no quick fix for that.

Before one bad choice would throw me off track, now If I have a bad day it's not the end of the world, I'm trying to not ban all the yummy bad stuff but to eat it in moderation. Not my strong point but I'm working on it.

So this is me, introducing myself and for the first time ever, publicly admitting my weight.

At my highest, I weighed 350lbs. Yesterday I hit 300, at my next weigh in I will hopefully be out of the three hundreds and it will be so damn good to see a two at the beginning of my number.

I'm feeling positive, I'm trying hard, I'm doing good. I just hope I can keep it up.

(deep breath and hit post before chickening out!)

Replies

• ace52197
    ace52197 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You have every right to be proud! It sounds like your doing it right. Keep it up.
  • LisasRoadtolosing100lbs
    Options
    50 pounds is an amazing story!
    I had 120 to lose and lost my first 50 this month. I started in October. All I can say is stay focused on how far youve come and dont try to see the end. Stick with it and you can do it. I only focus on 10 pounds at a time it seems to help me alot.

GOOD LUCK!!!! YOU"VE GOT THIS!
  • cortana01
    cortana01 Posts: 55
    Options
    Thank you Ace and Thump :flowerforyou:

I definitely agree with not looking at the long term goal, it can be very demotivating to look at how far you still have to go so I'm trying to only focus on how much I've lost and small targets.

Congratulations on your first 50, Thump!
  • 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say that I love your post! Congrats on 50, and you got this!!!
  • jtinney99
    jtinney99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    At a top weight somewhere in the 320's I can relate. I'm down to 304 from 319 (my weight when I started tracking before joining MyFitnessPal). I'm hoping to be consistently under 300 before the end of the month and it is so exciting. I feel just like you and it is great, ABSOLUTELY GREAT, to see someone in my shoes come so far.

Like you, I'm just making better choices as far as changing what I eat. Any broad, sweeping changes I've made in the past have never stuck. I took up studying martial arts for exercise and that keeps me excited to become more fit ... like a positive feedback loop.

Thanks for the encouragement and for sharing your story! Keep it up! You're doing great and should feel great about it.
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My all time high weight was 301 pounds, so I hear you. Congratulations on your success so far and best of luck to you as you continue to lose weight!
  • Gizzy1976
    Gizzy1976 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    That is amazing, you must be really proud!!!

I'm 3lbs off being 199lbs, I started at 274lbs.

Keep going your in the right mindset to do this once and for all!! ????
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Keep it up for some reason when I was honest about my weight it was the most liberating thing I did.
  • steflbrown
    steflbrown Posts: 168
    Options
    You can do this! It's great that you are gradually introducing healthy ways into your lifestyle! And the more you do, the better you will feel for it. I know that is what happened for me. Keep up the great work!!
  • NHoughton13
    NHoughton13 Posts: 303
    Options
    50 lbs is something to be proud of!! Good luck and congratulations.
  • Lind140
    Lind140 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    50 pounds is a great weight loss!! So proud of you for sticking to your goals, better choices
    bring results when you hang in there. You've taken wise steps toward your goal, good luck
    and keep up the great job.
    Best Wishes,
    Linda
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,564 Member
    Options
    doing good. one day at a time.. keep chugging away.. you'll get there
  • NancyYMCA
    NancyYMCA Posts: 18
    Options
    You are incredible. I look forward to checking in on your journey. My heaviest was 205 about 10 years ago. My lowest was 148, and I've bounced back & forth between 155 & 175 (which is where I am now). My postivitiy has hidden itself from me for a little while, but you have inspired me today. Thank you, and I will be sending you a friend request. :happy:
  • di1428
    di1428 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    dont think of the whole picture and just set mini goals and conquer them one by one..
    50lbs is great..congrats :)
  • jonesite
    jonesite Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What an accomplishment. I agree with your new approach, taking it slower. Everyone would always laugh at me when I would say that I wanted to lose a large amount of weight in an unreasonable amount of time, I always set myself up to fail, but doing it slower makes the journey so much less stressful and attainable. You can do it!!!!!
  • cortana01
    cortana01 Posts: 55
    Options
    Wow, y'all are so kind :happy:

Thank you all for the encouragement and support xxx
  • LazyGuy91
    LazyGuy91 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I dont like to admit to anything, but I (allegedly) weighed in that area and am under 300 now. It does feel good, but it's only part of the battle! Keep up the good work, and dont give up!
  • Dani_M_1984
    Dani_M_1984 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! 50lb loss is fabulous!! you should be very proud of yourself. :)