Scars?

Options
Does anyone have a proven (relatively inexpensive - I can't afford to have lightening done in a physician's office) method for reducing the appearance of scars? Preferably something you've tried yourself and has worked for you.

Now that my legs are looking decent, I'm wearing shorts (haven't done that for the last 10 years), and I have several big, ugly scarson my knee from surgery several years ago. I don't think they're going to flatten out anymore, but they are still quite noticeable and I'm self conscious about them. It's silly of me, but it would make me feel better if I could make them blend in as much as possible with my natural skin color.

Any ideas?

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've used Palmers Cocoa butter on a scar on my forearm and it's faded to barely noticeable. Also, Mederma (sp?) is supposed to be great for scars. Both are available in a drug store or something, and aren't expensive. Palmers butter is also great for stretch marks and keeping your skin elastic so it's not saggy after you lose the weight. I've been using it for that reason since my scar is no longer a problem.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Mederma is *AMAZING* ... and I think you can get it in the drug store. It is worth whatever they're charging, but I'm sure it won't be much.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Mederma is amazing. I've used it on many scars and they've faded quit drastically. Just make sure you keep using it, and use it as it says on the tube (like 2-3x/day) until it's to the color you want. I had a couple scars from blisters on my hands that I used this on and it worked really well, you seriously can't see them anymore. I've also used it on scars on my feet, knees... mostly small scars, but it works regardless!! Get some. :happy: I also used them on stretch marks to turn them from pink to white. So...there's that!
  • nroesler
    nroesler Posts: 81
    Options
    I've used Bio Oil and thought it was great, made a signifigant differece in less than 2 months.
  • pawprint061
    pawprint061 Posts: 640
    Options
    I use palmers also, for my stretch marks from where I was pregnant... they have faded a whole lot. But what I found was that I had to really pile the stuff on. I felt like I could be fried up in a skillet some times..... I glob as much of it on as I can and it's really helped...