Fat people and Amusement Parks

Options
My co-worker and I have had short term goals that have kept us on track with our journey this far. We realized that we were out of things to look forward to that kept us motivated, so we planned a trip to Six Flags at the end of May.

I am FREAKING out that I will get there, be super excited and get in one of the rides and be that person that they make get off because the seat belt won't fasten or I can't get the roll bar down.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I am a size 18 (down from a 32 Woot! Woot!), and hope to be a comfortable size 16 by the end of May.

I would really appreciate any thing that might help alleviate my fears... other than just cancelling the trip. :ohwell:

Replies

• RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Embrace the fear and use it as motivation!
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I dunno. I was a size 16-18 over the summer and took my kids to the fair. I fit on all the rides fine.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    You could always contact the park and ask them what their weight/measurement limits are for rides?
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    At 5'5 220 lbs (size 16) I was able to fit on all the roller coasters
  • mockingjaypin
    Options
    If that's you in the photo, you should have absolutely no problem!
  • kmrbriscoe
    kmrbriscoe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am 6', 275 lbs and still fit on pretty much all the rides...you won't have any issues!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    1. just keep that fear and mind to help you stay on track
    2. i really don't think a 16-18 would have issues with getting on the rides.
  • Colli78
    Colli78 Posts: 135
    Options
    Oh I am TOTALLY motivated! I'm just worried that even with my hard work and motivation that I'm still going to be humiliated. I'm working out 5 days a week, mixing cardio and strength training and eating between 1700-2000 calories. So, I feel like I am doing everything I can at this point. Just worried...
  • skm4jc
    skm4jc Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This was actually my wake-up call. I was a size 26 and on one coaster the attendant had to really work to get the restraint closed. I was nearly in tears, I was so embarrassed. You'll be fine at 16/18. Enjoy!!!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Contact the park and ask them for weight/size limitations of the rides.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I am a 14-16 on bottom and a 1x on top (42DD) and I fit fine on the rides at Six Flags here in GA!
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I remember going with my mom to Six Flags when she was a size 18 (and she carried her weight in her midsection) and she fit, so I assume you would be fine.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Most parks have a test seat for you to check before you get in line. Also most rollercoasters have a few "fat guy" seats in the middle row (if I remember it was for 50" chest or larger"

one of my fave NSVs was not getting intot he fat guy line at the last park I went to
  • strawberriekt24
    strawberriekt24 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've been a size 18-22 at the amusement parks- not Six Flags, but Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm, and was able to get on and off the rides comfortably- they had restraints for larger people than me. I don't think you're going to have anything to worry about! Congrats on the weight loss!
  • daisyjen10
    Options
    I'm down to a 22 and I fit fine at Six Flags! You'll have no trouble at all! Go and enjoy your success!!!
  • JessicaSpotswood
    JessicaSpotswood Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have any trouble but if you'd like all the ride restrictions are up on the website. Anything that isn't explained to your liking I'm sure a phone call will be sufficient to answer.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    At size 16/18 you should be fine. Some of the tighter rides have seats before the line to "try on" just in case.
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I have been to six flags in CA as a size 18 and had no issue getting on all the rides there. Use it as motivation and go enjoy your trip.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    First of all, you look gorgeous in your profile pic - amazingly tiny waist (makes me envious actually)!...
    I don't think you will have any problem getting on the rides.
  • angeltg
    angeltg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I seen this happen at Universal studios in Orlando. I was so heartbroken for the woman. She took it in stride and laughed it off. I can only assume she was hurting inside. That could have been me. I was on my way up there and I vowed to never let that happen to me.