What do YOU have on your porridge/oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Firstly in my dry oatmeal I add brown sugar, coccoa powder and cinnamon and then I add water and a bit of low fat cow's milk to add more flavour and creamyness. Then half a banana, and/or red grapes, strawberries or an apple. A couple of hazelnuts. Then I add a spoonful of honey and mix it all up.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    - tbsp cocoa powder, tsp honey, mashed banana
    - tsp honey, tsp matcha powder
    - 1/2 c blueberrier, sprinkle cinnamon
  • SassJess81
    SassJess81 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    As a kid my mom always made porridge and I had molasses on it. Now I love to make pancakes with the oats...just mix the oats with egg white, and blueberries or cinnamon and pan fry. Or refrigerator oats...I am also a University student so this is great because you can just throw it in a jar the night before and microwave it at school. The oats will absorb the liquid overnight. My favorite:

Overnight Chai Steel-Cut Oats

makes 2 servings

adapted from Vegetarian Times

1 cup steel-cut oats

1 cup almond milk

2 tablespoons ground flax

1/4 teaspoon cardamon

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1 tablespoon maple syrup

Optional toppings–shredded coconut, pecans, almonds, toasted hazelnuts,
  • missability
    missability Posts: 223
    Options
    dried cranberries, 1/2 tsp organic raw honey
    diced apple, 1/2 tsp organic honey, 1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1 banana, tsp ground flax seed
    1/2 cup (all natural, no sugar added) applesauce, 1/4 tsp cinnamon
    raisins, walnuts, 1/2 tsp organic honey

But my favorite is how I ate it this morning:
    a couple shakes of sea salt, and 1 pat (just under a tsp) real stick organic butter:)
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    A Tablespoon of trail mix and cottage cheese
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    This morning, blueberries, raspberries and cinnamon . I often have cherries and dark chocolate, peanut butter is yummer too!
  • ecogranny
    ecogranny Posts: 24
    Options
    Brought up on porridge with salt in Scotland but no longer eat it like that. Sometimes just honey but I use Manuka honey. Its more expensive but has (it says) unique bacterial properties and is reckoned to be really good for you.My brother in law, a biologist raves about its properties. I don't use sugar but use agave syrup, very runny which comes from a Mexican plant and is entirely natural. Sometimes add cinnamon before mixing with milk.You can buy agave syrup in bio shops.
  • marshmallow8978
    marshmallow8978 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Butter, craisins, tsp. brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla. I make the oats with water too, gonna try it with milk tommorow.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    cooked cranberries
  • Determined75
    Determined75 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I like my oatmeal plan with a tablespoonful of peanut butter with honey. Love that stuff!
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Honey, cinnamon and stewed fruit, Sometimes flaked almonds.
  • aznsdgrl
    aznsdgrl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I like baked oatmeal. My two favorites: cherry almond vanilla and cinnamon apple. Filling and the leftovers are tasty.
  • ichoose2believe
    ichoose2believe Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup quick oats (cooked in water), add 1/2 tablespoon of chia seeds soaked in 1/4cup vanilla almond milk and 2 oz of diced mango (or any fresh fruit-yesterday is was pineapple). Usually it all comes in at under 170 calories-depends on the fruit.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Oats, milk and salt. Yummy, yummmy. Even better when you put this on buttered wheat toast for some reason.

However, I do sometimes add things.

Skipping milk adding yogurt and bananas or berries.

The rest have milk...

Banana (can't have enough banana, lol)

Brown sugar and maple syrup.

Raisins, dried cranberries and/or apricots.

Applesauce and cinnamon. (Will have to try it with grated apple, never thought of that!)
  • ecogranny
    ecogranny Posts: 24
    Options
    Forgot to say Yes porridge is the same as oatmeal - as kids in Scotland in the 50's we had porridge oats for breakfast. Not related to breakfast but porridge is great for replacing half flour in crumble recipes and so good for cholesterol
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    cooked cranberries

Oh, I just had a thought! I bet cranberries cooked in orange juice would be REALLY good.
  • joshthepossum
    joshthepossum Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have mine several ways because I eat it most every day. This morning it was with 1/2 C of blueberries and Chinese 5 spice. It makes an excellent base to try new flavour profiles.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Natural peanut butter and banana!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    banana (I mash it in)
    chocolate chips
    Instant coffee packet(really good with the chocolate)
    Fresh berries
    Cinnamon

Not all at once, I pick and choose
  • dulcemiel
    dulcemiel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with a bit of brown sugar, raisens, cranberry and silvered almongs, YUM!!!